Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dad's Sexism May Influence Daughter's Ambiton

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Daddy's Sexism May Influence Daughter's Ambitions

NEW ORLEANS — Dads who have egalitarian ideas about gender — and who walk the talk by doing household chores themselves — have daughters with higher workplace ambitions than less egalitarian fathers do, new research finds.
The research is correlational, so it doesn't prove that fathers' attitudes are the cause their young daughters' work aspirations. But the research may suggest that girls look to their fathers for examples of what is expected of women. Dads' attitudes also predict what kind of play their daughters enjoy.
"Dads who are more balanced have girls who are just as likely to play with Transformers as Barbie dolls," study researcher Toni Schmader, a psychologist at the University of British Columbia said here Friday (Jan. 18) at the annual meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology.

Source: http://www.livescien...-ambitions.html

Posted Image

~MEH~

#2    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostHasina, on 21 January 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Daddy's Sexism May Influence Daughter's Ambitions

NEW ORLEANS — Dads who have egalitarian ideas about gender — and who walk the talk by doing household chores themselves — have daughters with higher workplace ambitions than less egalitarian fathers do, new research finds.
The research is correlational, so it doesn't prove that fathers' attitudes are the cause their young daughters' work aspirations. But the research may suggest that girls look to their fathers for examples of what is expected of women. Dads' attitudes also predict what kind of play their daughters enjoy.
"Dads who are more balanced have girls who are just as likely to play with Transformers as Barbie dolls," study researcher Toni Schmader, a psychologist at the University of British Columbia said here Friday (Jan. 18) at the annual meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology.

Source: http://www.livescien...-ambitions.html

I could reply but I'd get hassle from the other posters for my prehistoric views lol

#3    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

hope im a good dad

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#4    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 21 January 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

I could reply but I'd get hassle from the other posters for my prehistoric views lol
I'm interested in your views on this, if you'd rather not be harassed for your stance on this, could I ask maybe you PM and tell me what your views are? I'm curious.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

My dad raised me like I was a son, we went motorbike riding and I did all the physical labour, I never had barbies or dolls, I had trucks and bugs. I'm trying to get in to biotechnology.
However, Dad was never in to doing chores or making dinners, Mum always did them. So take from that what you will. I also never developed an emotional connection to my mother as she never got the little princess girl she wanted.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#6    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Daughters should be taught how to do all the housework and the other household chores such as cooking.

After all, these are the skills any woman should have know for when she is married and has children.

#7    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I think there are the Egalitarians...and then there are the Neanderthals.   In today's society, it is important for both sexes to be able to perform all levels of work.   The only thing I do not help with around our house is the laundry...because I have been banned from doing clothes because of a little sweater incident....literally a 'little' sweater that shouldn't have been.

In the days of the Neanderthals (up until about 50 years ago)  The man hunted and killed it...the woman chewed the skin, made clothes out of it, and cooked it.  Those days are so far over...and the only ones that don't seem to get that are the MDNs (modern day neanderthals).

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#8    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 21 January 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Daughters should be taught how to do all the housework and the other household chores such as cooking.

After all, these are the skills any woman should have know for when she is married and has children.

So should Sons/men.

Edited by Coffey, 21 January 2013 - 02:21 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#9    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 21 January 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Except for the ladies that don't want to get married and have kids, they can learn other skill sets, yes?

Edited by Hasina, 21 January 2013 - 02:22 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#10    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postjoc, on 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

I think there are the Egalitarians...and then there are the Neanderthals.   In today's society, it is important for both sexes to be able to perform all levels of work.   The only thing I do not help with around our house is the laundry...because I have been banned from doing clothes because of a little sweater incident....literally a 'little' sweater that shouldn't have been.

In the days of the Neanderthals (up until about 50 years ago)  The man hunted and killed it...the woman chewed the skin, made clothes out of it, and cooked it.  Those days are so far over...and the only ones that don't seem to get that are the MDNs (modern day neanderthals).
but if they are happy to take those spots then why is that a bad thing?

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#11    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

View Postnotoverrated, on 21 January 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

but if they are happy to take those spots then why is that a bad thing?
People (both sexes) should be free to choose whatever role they wish to be in.  So, there is no 'bad thing' if someone is doing what they choose to do and find happiness in it.  It is only a bad thing when, for instance, father's teach their daughters that their place is in the kitchen, not in the garage working on the car.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#12    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

View Postjoc, on 21 January 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

People (both sexes) should be free to choose whatever role they wish to be in.  So, there is no 'bad thing' if someone is doing what they choose to do and find happiness in it.  It is only a bad thing when, for instance, father's teach their daughters that their place is in the kitchen, not in the garage working on the car.
In other words?
Posted Image

Posted Image

~MEH~

#13    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postjoc, on 21 January 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

i wouldnt exactly say wrong, every family has their own set of morals and expectations for their children.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#14    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostHasina, on 21 January 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

I'm interested in your views on this, if you'd rather not be harassed for your stance on this, could I ask maybe you PM and tell me what your views are? I'm curious.

In my prehistoric mind I've been equiped with male intiution.

When I meet a woman I can tell pretty quickly (within two seconds) what type of person she is. I can tell if shes confident, nice, warm, mentally well balanced, healthy and if shes good breeding material. The only way to describe it is I just know. Funnily enough I can also tell when a woman is trying to get pregnant and when shes conceived even if she doesnt know yet. Thats even if I havent seen them in months which is scary!

Anyway I seem to be drawn to women that make good mothers not good providers. Its just built into me. I dont find women that try to dominate relationships, try to be controlling or try to play the male role in the least bit attractive. They also smell bad to me.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 21 January 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#15    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 21 January 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

In my prehistoric mind I've been equiped with male intiution.

When I meet a woman I can tell pretty quickly (within two seconds) what type of person she is. I can tell if shes confident, nice, warm, mentally well balanced, healthy and if shes good breeding material. The only way to describe it is I just know. Funnily enough I can also tell when a woman is trying to get pregnant and when shes conceived even if she doesnt know yet. Thats even if I havent seen them in months which is scary!

Anyway I seem to be drawn to women that make good mothers not good providers. Its just built into me. I dont find women that try to dominate relationships, try to be controlling or try to play the male role in the least bit attractive. They also smell bad to me.
Other then that last bit, it just seems to be your personal taste in women, and we're all allowed to have different preferences as long as we don't force it on the whole of everyone else, IMO.

So, may I ask, women who are providers rather then mothers smell bad to you or what do you mean by that?

Edited by Hasina, 21 January 2013 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users