Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeist Film curse

bigsir

Hello all! Let me say first I have been following this forum for years, and would like to say thanks for all the dedication put in.

I felt compelled to post this info here in hopes to solving a bizarre query about the motion picture Poltergeist (1982).

I'm sure many of you have heard of (forgive me if you have not)the speculated "Poltergeist Movie Curse", because several cast members have passed during the filming of the three films.

There is a very bizarre factor about the first Poltergeist film that has gone overlooked, IMO. There is only one other mention of this online(that I can find), and given the films history and controversy, I am surprised it is not well known: Hanging on the wall in the children's bedroom during the film is a poster for 1988 Superbowl XXII. The movie was filmed in 1981, released in 1982. The date of the 1988 Superbowl XXII was the date that Heather O'Rourke (Carolanne) was sent to the hospital and died hours after.

I have the film on blueray, and it is clear its 1988 Superbowl XXII, not 1983. I would love to blow the lid off this thing!

post-98240-0-43737100-1337128848_thumb.j

Edited by Saru
Fixed font
  • Like 1

Interesting, but the curse is nothing more than a legend. I believe these sad and tragic events are nothing more than coincidence.

One actress was killed by her boyfriend, another died of cancer, the little girl died of septic shock I believe, one died after a botched lung transplant...It's only coincidence that all of these tragic events happened shortly after the release of one of the movies or during the movies, these events didn't happened because they were actors playing in "Poltergeist", these things can happen to anybody.

I think it's another one of these "mysteries" based on coincidence, something somebody created to make life more exciting.

Edited by JonathanVonErich
  • Like 2

Wish there was a better pic of that poster, i really can't make out very much of it.

Not sure what there is to "blow the lid off of", but OK.

Saying there is Poltergeist curse is like saying there is a Declaration of Independence curse (OMG everyone who signed it is dead!). People die, that's just a fact of life.

As to the poster and its relation to Heather O'Rourke, most don't know that she had been diagnosed with Crohn's Disease more than a year prior and while her death was somewhat sudden, she had been a very sick little girl for quite some time.

• Like 2

Poltergeist - 'The film was cursed, as all the kids in the film died, as did other members of the crew.' Partially true, largely false! Yes, there was a lot of bad luck attached to the film, but one child died aged twenty two, another aged 12, after all the sequels were shot, and the third child is still with us.

So they died years later, damn that one weird curse, I mean I am cursed that one day i will die. Old age or sooner. You making a nut job conspiricy about the dates. Next you be using the numbers to spell "Hell" or "devil".

• Like 3

I for some reason, don't have my 'like' button so I can't just like Brian Topp's post so I'll say this: The movie wasn't cursed. There is no such thing.

I want to see that poster and kinda want to know what your point is about it and please use a font large enough for me to read without a magnifying glass.

I for some reason, don't have my 'like' button so I can't just like Brian Topp's post so I'll say this: The movie wasn't cursed. There is no such thing.

I want to see that poster and kinda want to know what your point is about it and please use a font large enough for me to read without a magnifying glass.

I know I cant figure out how to change the font! And I'm with you guys, I do not believe there is a movie curse. The media has claimed there is one. Tragic coincidence I think. But that poster, c'mon! Weird!

I know I cant figure out how to change the font! And I'm with you guys, I do not believe there is a movie curse. The media has claimed there is one. Tragic coincidence I think. But that poster, c'mon! Weird!

Well like I said I can't tell much from the poster.

There are some bugs with the site today as the 'likes' were slowing down the site. It's being worked on. Hopefully the site will be fully functional again soon! Oh and welcome to UM!!

snuggle1.jpg

Well like I said I can't tell much from the poster.

There are some bugs with the site today as the 'likes' were slowing down the site. It's being worked on. Hopefully the site will be fully functional again soon! Oh and welcome to UM!!

snuggle1.jpg

Thank you( and for fixing my font)! The poster is just odd to me (and the fact that date on the poster is the date the main character in real life went to the hospital and died). The only other mention of it is on the films IMDB forum. I have seen the poster up close on a blueray disc on a big tv.

Thank you( and for fixing my font)! The poster is just odd to me (and the fact that date on the poster is the date the main character in real life went to the hospital and died). The only other mention of it is on the films IMDB forum. I have seen the poster up close on a blueray disc on a big tv.

Oh ok, I get it now. But it is just coincidence. I guess I just don't understand what the poster is about. A future superbowl? I guess it makes sense to men. lol

• 2 months later...

Maybe its a rebuild team poster of where they would like to be in a few years I have seen these before on odd occasions, & I personally don't belief there is a curse.

Meh, i dont think its a curse.

Arent there loads of film of this genre with supposed curses attached to it?

Thanks,

• Like 1

There was a few things that have supposed to have been cursed.

the exorcist ir prob the nost famous and also the incredable hulk tv series.

that poster situation is pure freaky!

The filming of the exorcist was plagued with bad luck,but all the stars of the film are still alive.

I always wondered why some fool hasn't jumped on the remake wagon with that one,and I've heard its because the curse is still feared ?

No idea.

Allegedly Rebel Without A Cause was cursed ,and i want to say the movie where that actor died filming a scene with a helicopter...creepshow I think ?

Edited by Simbi Laveau

These movies used to creep me out when i was a kid especially the demented reverend Kane. He reminds me of that Phelps guy from the westboro baptist church. Yeah but just like the people above i don't believe there was any curse.

The filming of the exorcist was plagued with bad luck,but all the stars of the film are still alive.

I always wondered why some fool hasn't jumped on the remake wagon with that one,and I've heard its because the curse is still feared ?

No idea.

Allegedly Rebel Without A Cause was cursed ,and i want to say the movie where that actor died filming a scene with a helicopter...creepshow I think ?

I believe it was twilight zone the movie 2 kids got killed too. Also Brandon lee got killed on the set of the crow.

• Like 1

I don't think there is a curse, obviously Steven Spielberg wasn't affected, he was shooting "E.T." at the time this was made. Craig T. Nelson went on to have a hit tv series, remember "Coach"?

Also I did a Google Image search for Super Bowl posters by year and I didn't see one like in the picture, but none of the ones I saw are in a light-hearted kids style like in the film. They are more like this:

17.jpg

Um, superbowl XXII was Jan 31. Heather was not sent to the hospital that day. She went to the hospital Feb. 1st, and died in the afternoon of the 1st. And it wasn't oddly sudden, Heather had begun struggling with health issues in the spring of 1987.

Yes,the twlight zone. Sad story .And The Crow wasn't deemed cursed,but the males of the Lee family were.

It's been speculated that Brandon was murdered,as he had decided to reopen his fathers death investigation.

Bruce Lee was murdered,and the family knew it. Robert Lee,Bruces brother,has stated,he knows his brother was murdered,but to push to reinvestigate,would assure his death as well.

Brandons death was such a fluke,no one has ever died that way on set,ever before. It was a set up ,is the gist of it.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

There was a few things that have supposed to have been cursed.

the exorcist ir prob the nost famous and also the incredable hulk tv series.

that poster situation is pure freaky!

I knew about the others, but didn't know the Hulk was supposed to be cursed

I knew about the others, but didn't know the Hulk was supposed to be cursed

Ya I remember reading somewhere the Cast had terrable luck

Hello all! Let me say first I have been following this forum for years, and would like to say thanks for all the dedication put in.

I felt compelled to post this info here in hopes to solving a bizarre query about the motion picture Poltergeist (1982).

I'm sure many of you have heard of (forgive me if you have not)the speculated "Poltergeist Movie Curse", because several cast members have passed during the filming of the three films.

There is a very bizarre factor about the first Poltergeist film that has gone overlooked, IMO. There is only one other mention of this online(that I can find), and given the films history and controversy, I am surprised it is not well known: Hanging on the wall in the children's bedroom during the film is a poster for 1988 Superbowl XXII. The movie was filmed in 1981, released in 1982. The date of the 1988 Superbowl XXII was the date that Heather O'Rourke (Carolanne) was sent to the hospital and died hours after.

I have the film on blueray, and it is clear its 1988 Superbowl XXII, not 1983. I would love to blow the lid off this thing!

I'll add that Super Bowl 22 was held in San Diego, the birthplace and lifelong home of Heather O'Rourke.

Strange