Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY paper publishes gun owner info

F3SS

I hope that Holder can be prosecuted after Oby leaves office. He'd squeal like a pig and and maybe some justice could finally be attributed to the Justice dept again.

• Like 2

I consider a good many gun owners disturbed. I did not refer to gun owners AS sex offenders. Your reading comprehension is lacking and your other mistake is thinking everyone thinks the same as you. If one wants to know those places that one morally finds objectionable, then the list of gun owners provides exactly the same service as the list of sex offenders.

Gun control does not "crush freedom" and repealing the 2nd amendment does not mean guns would be illegal. They are, in my opinion, NOT a God given right any more than nuclear weapons or rocket propelled grenades. And it's ridiculous to claim so.

Well, apparently the founding fathers and a vast number of people in this nation disagree with you. Please dont compare firearms to explosive / destructive devices... there is an insane difference in the tools in which you reference.

Edited by Dredimus
  • Like 3

Please dont compare firearms to explosive / destructive devices... there is an insane difference in the tools in which you reference.

please, this guy can't see a difference betwen law abiding gun owner, and child molester. i would not expect anything rational from him.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/n-y-newspaper-announces-it-will-publish-more-names-addresses-of-gun-owners/

N.Y. NEWSPAPER ANNOUNCES IT WILL PUBLISH MORE NAMES & ADDRESSES OF GUN OWNERS

Apparently undeterred by retaliation from a pro-Second Amendment blogger, the editorial staff at Gannett’s “Journal News” is at it again.

After creating an uproar for publishing the names and addresses of gun owners in New York’s Westchester and Rockland counties, “Journal News” announced it would release and publish the names and addresses of permit holders in Putnam County, according to Reuters.

“Further names and addresses will be added as they become available to a map originally published on December 24 in the White Plains, New York-based Journal News,” the report notes.

The map was included in an article entitled “The gun owner next door: What you don’t know about the weapons in your neighborhood,” that was released shortly after a shooting spree in Newtown, Conn., claimed 26 lives, including 20 children.

“Some 44,000 people are licensed to own pistols in the three counties, the newspaper said. Owners of rifles and shotguns do not need permits,” Reuters adds.

The newspaper’s decision to publish the names and addresses of permit holders has been met with both praise and criticism.

“Do you fools realize that you also made a map for criminals to use to find homes to rob that have no guns in them to protect themselves?” Rob Seubert of Silver Spring, Maryland, wrote on the newspaper’s web site. “What a bunch of liberal boobs you all are.”

Meanwhile, Sen. Greg Ball (R-N.Y.) announced plans to introduce legislation that would keep the names and addresses of gun owners private except to law enforcement.

“The asinine editors at the Journal News have once again gone out of their way to place a virtual scarlet letter on law abiding firearm owners throughout the region,” the senator’s website reads.

After the newspaper launched its ‘gun owners’ map, pro-Second Amendment blogger Robert Cox retaliated by releasing a map with the names & addresses of ‘Journal News’ employees.

For her part, CynDee Royle, VP of news and editor, stands by the newspaper’s decision to publish private citizens’ information.

“We knew publication of the database would be controversial, but we felt sharing as much information as we could about gun ownership in our area was important in the aftermath of the Newtown shootings,” she said.

But Al Tompkins, media critic for the Poynter Institute, writes that the newspaper failed to justify its decision to publish permit holders’ personal information.

“If journalists could show flaws in the gun permitting system, that would be newsworthy,” he said. “Or, for example, if gun owners were exempted from permits because of political connections, then journalists could better justify the privacy invasion.”

He continued, adding that he “feared the dispute might prompt lawmakers to play to privacy fears,” as Reuters notes.

“The net effect of the abuse of public records from all sides may well be a public distaste for opening records, which would be the biggest mistake of all,” he said.

Compare, refer, same difference. So why would someone want to know that

Actually there is a world of difference in those two things.

And people want to know that to avoid those people.

Well, apparently the founding fathers and a vast number of people in this nation disagree with you. Please dont compare firearms to explosive / destructive devices... there is an insane difference in the tools in which you reference.

A vast majority favor stricter gun control. The "founding fathers" lived in the 18th century. Times and weapons change. But you're right I went a bit too far with explosive devices. Guns are not a god given right.

please, this guy can't see a difference betwen law abiding gun owner, and child molester. i would not expect anything rational from him.

Again I said no such thing. I'm saying the moral need to know where both reside is comparable.

A vast majority favor stricter gun control. The "founding fathers" lived in the 18th century. Times and weapons change. But you're right I went a bit too far with explosive devices. Guns are not a god given right.

Again I said no such thing. I'm saying the moral need to know where both reside is comparable.

The right to bare arms is a right endowed by our creator, not our government.

It isn't a privilege as the liberals are trying to make it. The government has no such power to arbitrarily get rid of it.

Nor alter it. In fact, the first ten amendments are liberties that naturally preexist - the entire Bill of Rights is composed of unalienable rights.

And I'm sorry, but that logic doesn't make sense.

Child molesters who did something illegal to be permanently labeled as such - versus - legal, law abiding gun owners who have committed no crimes - and even if they did, it's not the public's right to see such information unless they were a manager trying to employ someone with a criminal record. Whether or not they own a gun is irrelevant because the guns are legal. To expose law abiding citizen's home addresses, names, and information for owning a gun is just trying to manipulate public opinion towards gun owners by making them look to be similar to pedophiles. Morally, there is a huge difference between the two - and to even compare the two is dumb and disgusting.

Morally, they are not comparable. This shows that gun owners are being unfairly targeted and demonized.

It's the pre-gaming preconditioning for the public before the liberals go after the guns and the Second Amendment.

Common sense.

Edited by Eonwe
  • Like 3

It isn't a privilege as the liberals are trying to make it. The government has no such power to arbitrarily get rid of it.

Nor alter it. In fact, the first ten amendments are liberties that naturally preexist - the entire Bill of Rights is composed of unalienable rights.

And I'm sorry, but that logic doesn't make sense.

Child molesters who did something illegal to be permanently labeled as such - versus - legal, law abiding gun owners who have committed no crimes - and even if they did, it's not the public's right to see such information unless they were a manager trying to employ someone with a criminal record. Whether or not they own a gun is irrelevant because the guns are legal. To expose law abiding citizen's home addresses, names, and information for owning a gun is just trying to manipulate public opinion towards gun owners by making them look to be similar to pedophiles. Morally, there is a huge difference between the two - and to even compare the two is dumb and disgusting.

Morally, they are not comparable. This shows that gun owners are being unfairly targeted and demonized.

It's the pre-gaming preconditioning for the public before the liberals go after the guns and the Second Amendment.

Common sense.

They can sing that tune all they like - but when they actually come for the guns I do believe it's not going to be as easy as they think. I can see widespread bloodshed because of it and that's why I think it will be done gradually. A few here, a few there. Registration, databases of those that buy ammo...things like that. There is already a market for PVC tubes that can be buried with weapons inside.

They can sing that tune all they like - but when they actually come for the guns I do believe it's not going to be as easy as they think. I can see widespread bloodshed because of it and that's why I think it will be done gradually. A few here, a few there. Registration, databases of those that buy ammo...things like that. There is already a market for PVC tubes that can be buried with weapons inside.

I hope it doesn't come to it.. If the government tries to take our guns I'll keep one thing in mind:

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

I'm young and willing to put my life on the line so that another has the freedom to criticize my opinions.

Would I like to put my life on the line for freedom? Not necessarily out of virtue that I would like to live.

But I could if I had to.

I just don't believe this organized anti-gun fever is the right way to go about any of this.

Edited by Eonwe
  • Like 1

Actually there is a world of difference in those two things.

And people want to know that to avoid those people.

Whatever man. Maybe you'd have been better off comparing this list to Angie's List instead of Megan's Law List but you've made yourself clear. We know what you think and it's ugly.

So if you see a longtime neighbor on this list who've you've always been friendly with do you completely disregard them from that point on? What about an old friend? A family member you were unaware has a gun? There is so much wrong with everything you say.

• Like 2

In relation to Mr. Fess' point, the idea that owning a gun is cancerous is deranged.

The idea that someone owning a gun could even be compared to a "mental problem" is a horrible, horrible sign.

Once gun owners start being labeled as mentally incompetent for owning a gun, a constitutional right, we can tell America is being targeted.

Targeted for demolition. It seems like our very ideals are being exploited and reworded to fit the neo-Liberal, Globalist version of an "ideal world".

A world that involves uneducated, koolaid drinking, unarmed, scared, and obedient citizens pandering to government for a reward or entitlement.

• Like 3

It doesn't seem that way Eonwe. It is that way.

And it is a sad day indeed. :unsure2:

But I suppose it is the result of the fault of many.

The fault of the people for not being as active in government, and the fault of the government for impressing these agendas and for trying to redefine our freedoms and our history. America has declined because of cultural marxism, draconian law making, and a mixture of general apathy and trustfulness in the voting public.

Edited by Eonwe
  • Like 1

then, I don't believe in your creator (capitalism is it?). My creator said nothing like that.

, it's not the public's right to see such information

You would be completely wrong here. It was public information already. It simply easier now on the internet.

Edited by ninjadude

They can sing that tune all they like - but when they actually come for the guns

who's comming for guns? Repealing the 2nd amendment or even stricter gun control doesn't mean they are "comming for the guns".

So if you see a longtime neighbor on this list who've you've always been friendly with do you completely disregard them from that point on? What about an old friend? A family member you were unaware has a gun?

Yeah I might avoid them. If I had young children they would be no where near them. I might reconsider a neighborhood when moving. etc. Ugly? no, realistic.

`

Show me the statistics for your "vast majority". Firearm sales went up by a drastic ammount in 2012... Even before the month of December (yes, before the Newtown killings) the FBI recorded 16,808,538 instant background checks for gun purchases... that number alone (remember, this is Pre December) beat the 2011 numbers by 350,000. December usually projects 2,000,000 new gun owners but after a great deal of reading and research,it looks like that number was closer to 4-5 million. You arent going to convince me that this is due to 50 rednecks buying 200 rifles each everyday..... Now, even when you go to the Whitehouse petition site you see petitions for gun control/ stricter laws/ outlawing.... when I checked those last week there were a few hundred signatures... and then you see the petitions for leaving the second ammendment in tact. THOSE petitions have a few thousand signatures....

Lets face it... guns, in the hands of responsible people, make us safer. You can not like that all you want, doesnt make It any less true. And I really dont think that a guy who has hundreds of men following him around 24/7 that are armed to the teeth for HIS protection, has any right to try to tell me I dont need my firearm.

Edit: posted from my 360.... would take forever to edit out every grammatical error. LoL

Edited by Dredimus

I see. I'm a PS3 guy but its my last resort for Internet browsing, let alone typing.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-

I see. I'm a PS3 guy but its my last resort for Internet browsing, let alone typing.

LoL. Yeah, I have a USB Flex Board. My PC is actually down right now so thats what I use to surf the forums at home.

• Like 1

Hypocrites, idiots, no one even made a threat

NEWSPAPER THAT PUBLISHED THE NAMES & ADDRESSES OF GUN OWNERS HIRES ARMED GUARDS

“A Clarkstown police report issued on December 28, 2012, confirmed that The Journal News has hired armed security guards from New City-based RGA Investigations and that they are manning the newspaper’s Rockland County headquarters … through at least tomorrow, Wednesday, January 2, 2013,” the County Times reports.

Journal News Rockland Editor Caryn A. McBride said she was genuinely surprised to discover that publishing a map with the names and addresses of gun owners would result in “negative correspondence,” that is, an “avalanche” of angry phone calls and emails, police reports note.

“Due to apparent safety concerns, the newspaper then decided to hire RGA Investigations to provide armed personnel to man the location,” the County Times report adds.

Continued... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/newspaper-that-published-the-names-addresses-of-gun-owners-hires-armed-guards/

Edited by -Mr_Fess-