Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DNA is directly photographed for first time

Still Waters

Fifty-nine years after James Watson and Francis Crick deduced the double-helix structure of DNA, a scientist has captured the first direct photograph of the twisted ladder that props up life.

Enzo Di Fabrizio, a physics professor at Magna Graecia University in Catanzaro, Italy, snapped the picture using an electron microscope.

http://www.msnbc.msn...e/#.ULpuG2dqMRs

• Like 2

I'm on the other end of the spectrum... I'm amazed!

But I do dig what could be disappointing with the image, after all the models and artist renditions done.

• Like 4

"But Di Fabrizio and his colleagues developed a plan to bring DNA out of hiding. They built a nanoscopic landscape of extremely water-repellant silicon pillars. When they added a solution that contained strands of DNA into this scene, the water quickly evaporated and left behind cords of bare DNA that stretched like tightropes between the tiny mesas"

Cool enough for me!

• Like 1

Looks so much like a frequency.

It is sort of disappointing, after all of those intricate models built. But still, great to have it captured and see how it looks like.

I was a bit disapointed by the photo but this the first time this has been done and I am looking forward to improvements to image of DNA in the future photos

"But Di Fabrizio and his colleagues developed a plan to bring DNA out of hiding. They built a nanoscopic landscape of extremely water-repellant silicon pillars. When they added a solution that contained strands of DNA into this scene, the water quickly evaporated and left behind cords of bare DNA that stretched like tightropes between the tiny mesas"

Cool enough for me!

That is incredibly brilliant. Here is a close-up of the close-up...it doesn't show anything more really...but it's bigger and bigger is better I think with some things like inconceivably small things like DNA.

dnacloseup2.png

• Like 1

Disapointed it wasn't pretty colour or anything fancy? wtf, It's because of comments like that, that the government thinks making ciggerettes plain packaged will stop people from smoking.

TBH It's a Infrared photo done with nanotechnology, be appreciative they even revealed that they had anything at all let alone a picture.

Top work Science world. cheers to ya :D

wait, how is this the first time? I'm amazed that with all the work that has been done sequencing and studying genes in intricate detail that somehow no one ever took a few happy snaps with it.

As electron microscope images of atomic structures go, I'm sure I've seen better... I'm guessing they couldn't really get the DNA into an ideal position. Or maybe all electron microscopes aren't created equal.

I'm in the slightly disappointed camp, seeing as it's mostly just pixel noise... but er... well done chaps. :tu:

Edited by ad hoc

Wait a second... I photographed DNA years ago, well that is, if it stands for "Dirty Naked Allison" ??

Maybe Diseased Nude Aliens? Dog Nosed Adults? Dorky Nerdy Agrophobes? Demonic Nosy Angels? Dusty Nylon Apples? Dark Nutty Acorns? Disorder Nut Affliction?

Edited by ufonuts

wait, how is this the first time? I'm amazed that with all the work that has been done sequencing and studying genes in intricate detail that somehow no one ever took a few happy snaps with it.

As electron microscope images of atomic structures go, I'm sure I've seen better... I'm guessing they couldn't really get the DNA into an ideal position. Or maybe all electron microscopes aren't created equal.

I'm in the slightly disappointed camp, seeing as it's mostly just pixel noise... but er... well done chaps. :tu:

Edited by ufonuts

What is disappointing to me is how many people honestly believe that the first ever photographs of something never even before seen should be crystal clear like on their HD TVs. Wow. Talk about being disconnected from reality. :blush:

• Like 2

what will they do next a red laser pen thats beam tastes like strawberrys, a watch that can stretch with a oled flat screen that can be a belt,headband,hat,also checks the sweat for blood sugar for diabeties and even syncs to your iphone for hearbead+bp :) , or just something simple like a chewing gum that has your medicines all combined with the gum chew for 5 mins and your done no more swallowing pills and did i say it tastes like strawberrys :P