Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I feel empty inside

ReaperS_ParadoX

For the past couple of years of my life Iv just felt empty inside, like someone scooped out all of my feelings except the baser ones and just left me with this feeling of emptiness. Iv been put on anti - depressants and they just made me feel sick. My question though has anybody else felt just empty like me for this long of a period?

• Like 2

Some times anti-depressants can make us more depressed. While anti-depressants can help elevate your mood, they can also be the source of the problem. I have felt empty inside plenty of times. When you're human it's almost impossible not to go through a phase where you just feel numb. Bad things happen in life - some times too frequently in a short amount of time. I had many bad things happen to me all at once and the mood definitely hasn't lifted - and it's been four years.

The best thing to do, in my personal opinion, is to try meditating or reading a book. Books can help a person cope through their stories, while meditation helps to clear one's mind and to let go of all attachment for a little while. Though you are going through a tough time, it can get better. :)

• Like 2

everyone has felt empty before, but it is up to you to put something back in.

• Like 3

The anti-depressants will only make the emptiness worse.

http://en.wikipedia...._(psychiatrist)

Professor Healy, a very highly respected British psychiatrist describes three symptoms ("the psychotropic suicidogenic triumvirate") which indicate an impending suicide (in this case, murder) caused by psychiatric medication. The three symptoms are:

(1) akathisia – feeling numb as if nothing matters, restlessness, turmoil, and feeling one is going mad,

(2) emotional blunting – "I cannot feel anything, do not care"

and/or

(3) psychotic decompensation – losing touch with reality.

I would go out and work at finding a job that requires that you have some compassion. Love makes you feel alive.

One time I had a patient tell me that she did self-mutilation because she just has to know that she is still alive, since she doesn't feel alive. i sat with her and thought about what it is that makes me feel alive. Love, I told her, when I love, I feel more alive that ever.

I think you need to review the side effects of the drugs you are taking. I think sometimes the side effects of drugs are worse than the disease they treat.I have felt empty and also hopeless sometimes.Make sure you are taking your multi-vitamins. I think that half of all mental health issues are malnutrition. I mean, they cannot turn over a crop on the same soil every 90 days without losing the nutrition you get from the produce. Always take vitamins.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 2

Places like an internet forum are not a place to go to for depression.

It's not an easy thing to handle but you'll get no better sulking on it, you'll find that out the hard way if you let it eat you up.

Thing about depression is; most people on the internet don't any ****s about it or how it affects you. You can get a shrink to help you if you need someone to talk to privately as they're trained to do it as opposed to some random person on an internet forum. Everyone likes the broken person but only because it makes them look good when they 'help' them out and have their little private mail talks about it. They get to go back to their lives while the empty person (that being you) sulks around, waiting for said person to come back on and then you'll become pathetically on someone you'll never meet and with who you'll have nothing but an artificial 'relationship' with. Avoid these people.

• Like 3

For the past couple of years of my life Iv just felt empty inside, like someone scooped out all of my feelings except the baser ones and just left me with this feeling of emptiness. Iv been put on anti - depressants and they just made me feel sick. My question though has anybody else felt just empty like me for this long of a period?

I'm am sorry but I am not quite clear enough about what it is you really mean....As you say, you still have the baser feelings yet feel empty?....i am not intentionally being obtuse but how can you feel, if you're empty, not feeling?

I Know what it is to be depressed and it is not void of feeling...It comes with some pretty intense feelings indeed.

What are you actually meaning when you say empty? Feelingless, numb, depressed, empty, void...what, which?

Has something happened, that has shocked you, traumatised you, is it PTSD?

Are you having some kind of counselling, talking to someone about what is really going on with you?

If the doctors have tried you on anti depressants and they have made you ill-er, this is not uncommon they are not a cure all and don't work for everyone. For some sure, they are just the ticket but not all.

i wish I could help but the little you have said doesn't really enable me to help appropriately.

all the best

When I find myself feeling something similar, I have found that I have put my life on hold. I have somehow told myself that when I reach a certain goal, I can start moving forward. However, if I really think about it, I find that instead of waiting for the future to live, I can start living now. I don't have to wait for some undefinable goal which changes anytime I get near it.

Allow yourself to actually feel the feelings. Some people will say to deny the feelings, but we know that they are real. The key is to allow the feelings to run their course, like a cold. If you are depressed, then something has happened that you weren't prepared to face or experience.

Look forward. What is something you could accomplish that would make you feel like the you that you want to be?

The thing is im not depressed Iv been depressed before and know how depression feels, I guess what Im trying to say is I feel indifferent. I dont really know how better to describe it. Other then indifferent. Sorry thats the only way I know how to describe it

Just to be clear I did go through a lot of pain as a child, so I guess it makes perfect sense that I could have some trauma from that. I shouldn't have said emotionless, and by baser emotions I meant fear, anger, sex drive, etc. I do read a ton and I'm an insomniac so ill leave the room so that my girlfriend won't be disturbed while she's trying to sleep. Oh and I'm not looking for any pity or anything like that

Thank you for further explanation, R4z3rsPard0x.

......i didn't think you wanted pity.

You know, that childhood events can have some quite powerful results, right?

Such as, disassociation. The blocking oneself off from experiencing the whole gamut of emotions because as a child, feelings and or experiences can be, traumatic, completely overwhelming..... To the point of closing down all but the most base sensations.

This is a survival tactic used to get us through the actual event but then if the event is not then dealt with properly, we will stay suspended as it were at that point. This is not a thing to be discounted as the reality of what happened or happened around the trauma can be just way too much to comprehend as a child.

We put it away in a box marked for later review.

May i suggest, you speak with someone who has understanding of working with trauma cases. There are other things that will also help......Such as EFT, NLP, Rolfing... To name but a few...But after saying this, talking and the right kind of counselling is probably the best place to start. There is much to help but it is a process and can not be rushed no matter how frustrating or tough it is. It's not easy to open the can of worms and what may be unlocked can feel overwhelming too, you may regret going back to a fully feeling human being. It is not for the weak hearted.

I have felt this, can you tell....yet with the right help you will feel again. I promise. Though it's only for the most brave...Hope this helps

Been there done that. Had it for about 5 years. Examine your life and find out what you want to do(Something positive), then do it. Mine was because of my ex. I left with nothing but a backpack full of clothes and a bus ticket but I started to actually give a crap again. It might be different for you so examine all of your life. Change the parts that you feel indifferent about(In the best way possible, IE if you feel indifferent about your job find another one first before you quit,).

Following the same grind day in and day out is a huge factor in feeling indifferent. (Find help before you go all out Tyler Durden)

Now traumatic childhoods also could do something odd to your emotions. Think of physical pain and getting used to it. Like jumping in a hot shower. At first it's hot, then after a while it feels warm, to make it feel hot again you need to turn the heat up even higher. Same thing happens to emotions when you go through traumatic events(For some people). Basically building up a tolerance to emotions. Not everybody shuts down through traumatic events.

• Like 2

Places like an internet forum are not a place to go to for depression.

It's not an easy thing to handle but you'll get no better sulking on it, you'll find that out the hard way if you let it eat you up.

Thing about depression is; most people on the internet don't any ****s about it or how it affects you. You can get a shrink to help you if you need someone to talk to privately as they're trained to do it as opposed to some random person on an internet forum. Everyone likes the broken person but only because it makes them look good when they 'help' them out and have their little private mail talks about it. They get to go back to their lives while the empty person (that being you) sulks around, waiting for said person to come back on and then you'll become pathetically on someone you'll never meet and with who you'll have nothing but an artificial 'relationship' with. Avoid these people.

THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST ADVICE YOU'LL GET!

Sorry, I don't yell that much. :)

• Like 2

I agree that was great advice.

Been there done that. Had it for about 5 years. Examine your life and find out what you want to do(Something positive), then do it. Mine was because of my ex. I left with nothing but a backpack full of clothes and a bus ticket but I started to actually give a crap again. It might be different for you so examine all of your life. Change the parts that you feel indifferent about(In the best way possible, IE if you feel indifferent about your job find another one first before you quit,).

Following the same grind day in and day out is a huge factor in feeling indifferent. (Find help before you go all out Tyler Durden)

Now traumatic childhoods also could do something odd to your emotions. Think of physical pain and getting used to it. Like jumping in a hot shower. At first it's hot, then after a while it feels warm, to make it feel hot again you need to turn the heat up even higher. Same thing happens to emotions when you go through traumatic events(For some people). Basically building up a tolerance to emotions. Not everybody shuts down through traumatic events.

Depression, symptoms of emptiness or not feeling like yourself, personality disorders, and mental illnesses in general is hardly something we should advise others with a "been there, done that" attitude.

I really liked the rest of your post and it will help those going through a slump but might not help with actual mental illness and if a doctor is already involved in this instance I doubt it is just a slump.

Medication can and should be changed if it gives symptoms such as empty feelings or suicidal thoughts. OP should talk to their doctor about that soon and skip the forums.

• Like 1

Sometimes depression simply means you need to change your life, same with apathy. (apathy isn't always a symptom of depression or other mental illness). Hell it could even simply be from a sleep disorder. I'd make a sleep journal honestly because doctors here insomnia and don't do jack but you document your sleeping patterns you might just provide something useful to the doctor. Sometimes sleep disorders are the cause of depression and apathy instead of being a symptom of either.

Apathy alone isn't a mental illness(Seriously there is a large selection of problems that cause apathy ), hence why I was blunt. (Not to mention that I been through it and still carry a bit of apathy with me).

Getting information from outside sources then talking them over with your doctor is a good idea.(Only the good ideas because my god there are a lot of bad ones out there) Believe it or not doctors are human, humans aren't infallible, which means doctors aren't infallible. (Heck I'm very far from infallible so consult with your doctor)

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1

The thing is im not depressed Iv been depressed before and know how depression feels, I guess what Im trying to say is I feel indifferent. I dont really know how better to describe it. Other then indifferent. Sorry thats the only way I know how to describe it

I'm not going to be jumping to conclusions just yet...

But I can totally relate to the indifference and giving him to my baser emotions.

And you mentioned a lot of trauma to do with your childhood which could even describe me.

I suffer from bouts of depression but that's mostly an on-off kind of thing.

However because you've got a girlfriend is kinda making me hesitate to state you have Aspergers.

But if you answer this next set of questions in the affirmative I'll welcome you to the Aspergers community with open arms...

Do you tend to try and avoid people and offer nothing more than "please" and " thank-you" in front of strangers?

Do you have a problem with eye contact even with people you know and love?

Do you have a particular obsession which drives people insane when your giving them not enough attention because you are so consumed in it?

Are you consumed by certain set routines and get upset if somebody's disrupted your system?

There's other indicators but these four are by far the strongest so far.

For all you know it could be some other psychological condition.

It's worth pointing out that Aspies can have girlfriends and get married but it's usually with their own kind.

This could be an other reason why I'm not passing judgment on you till I've got the facts together.

Edited by Medium Brown

I think thats whats basically happened hit you hit it the nail on the head with the emotion thing

Thank you for further explanation, R4z3rsPard0x.

......i didn't think you wanted pity.

You know, that childhood events can have some quite powerful results, right?

Such as, disassociation. The blocking oneself off from experiencing the whole gamut of emotions because as a child, feelings and or experiences can be, traumatic, completely overwhelming..... To the point of closing down all but the most base sensations.

This is a survival tactic used to get us through the actual event but then if the event is not then dealt with properly, we will stay suspended as it were at that point. This is not a thing to be discounted as the reality of what happened or happened around the trauma can be just way too much to comprehend as a child.

We put it away in a box marked for later review.

May i suggest, you speak with someone who has understanding of working with trauma cases. There are other things that will also help......Such as EFT, NLP, Rolfing... To name but a few...But after saying this, talking and the right kind of counselling is probably the best place to start. There is much to help but it is a process and can not be rushed no matter how frustrating or tough it is. It's not easy to open the can of worms and what may be unlocked can feel overwhelming too, you may regret going back to a fully feeling human being. It is not for the weak hearted.

I have felt this, can you tell....yet with the right help you will feel again. I promise. Though it's only for the most brave...Hope this helps

your right I did have to build up a shell around myself to deal with the pain and its like I reposted Im not emotionless, I feel but its to a lesser extent than a lot of other people Im actually not unhappy at all and to tell you the truth Im not sure I want to go back to feeling fully human. I mean its like you said I may regret it. I see how others have such feelings about things and to tell you the truth it doesnt seem like its all that fun.

I'm not going to be jumping to conclusions just yet...

But I can totally relate to the indifference and giving him to my baser emotions.

And you mentioned a lot of trauma to do with your childhood which could even describe me.

I suffer from bouts of depression but that's mostly an on-off kind of thing.

However because you've got a girlfriend is kinda making me hesitate to state you have Aspergers.

But if you answer this next set of questions in the affirmative I'll welcome you to the Aspergers community with open arms...

Do you tend to try and avoid people and offer nothing more than "please" and " thank-you" in front of strangers?

Do you have a problem with eye contact even with people you know and love?

Do you have a particular obsession which drives people insane when your giving them not enough attention because you are so consumed in it?

Are you consumed by certain set routines and get upset if somebody's disrupted your system?

There's other indicators but these four are by far the strongest so far.

For all you know it could be some other psychological condition.

It's worth pointing out that Aspies can have girlfriends and get married but it's usually with their own kind.

This could be an other reason why I'm not passing judgment on you till I've got the facts together.

No

I have no problem with making eye contact with people I know and love

No

No

I know what aspergers looks like and I dont behave in that way at all.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x
  • Like 1

I don't think this is depression, but then again I'm no Psycologist so for God's sake don't take mine or anyone elses advice unless something rings true..

I think you have no purpose, or no direction or meaning in life..

The Emptiness is a yearning for something different & new, a reason for being here, something to give your life meaning..

So, just think about it. What is your purpose? And by purpose I mean something bigger than your-self. Purpose isn't to make money, to have children, to be popular. Purpose is something deep, like "Inspire people" or "Feed the hungry" or "make people laugh".. Purpose gives energy and direction in life and lives in our core.. Without purpose, life would seem empty..

Edited to Add: purpose isn't a goal. It has no finish line..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

If you aren't getting enough sleep that can really effect you and cause depression.

I don't think this is depression, but then again I'm no Psycologist so for God's sake don't take mine or anyone elses advice unless something rings true..

I think you have no purpose, or no direction or meaning in life..

The Emptiness is a yearning for something different & new, a reason for being here, something to give your life meaning..

So, just think about it. What is your purpose? And by purpose I mean something bigger than your-self. Purpose isn't to make money, to have children, to be popular. Purpose is something deep, like "Inspire people" or "Feed the hungry" or "make people laugh".. Purpose gives energy and direction in life and lives in our core.. Without purpose, life would seem empty..

Edited to Add: purpose isn't a goal. It has no finish line..

The thing is its like I said earlier Im generally happy, I enjoy my job and my relationship with my Girlfriend. :tu:

If you aren't getting enough sleep that can really effect you and cause depression.

Sleeps been elusive to me ever since senior year of highschool. I developed insomnia around then and I have long periods of time where sleep just wont come. This isnt saying that I dont sleep period, but yeah Im aware that not sleeping can cause problems. When I do sleep I have pretty intense nightmares, but I wont go into that.

By the way thanks for all the comments guys

You don't need meds, they do more harm than good, and as far as shrinks, they get paid to listen to your problems and give their advice based on textbooks. Another waste of time. Just reach inside yourself, roll the dice and see what you come up with. Being empty isn't always a bad thing, it can be a defense mechanism. It won't last, you'll get past it with determination. I've been through it myself enough.

R...Par..., what you've described sounds to me like nothing more than a rut...that you're simply not getting much out of what you've been doing "for the past couple of years".

No

I have no problem with making eye contact with people I know and love

No

No

I know what aspergers looks like and I dont behave in that way at all.

That was crude and insensitive of me.

From now on I'm staying out of other posters emotional problems.

That was crude and insensitive of me.

No way...to the contrary! The poster wanted to hear from those who've felt "empty inside" and you offered insight based on your own personal experience, and based on what little info there was to go on.

I saw this thread yesterday and was hesitant to comment because it was just too vague. Your response offered more to go on, and apart from that, it's interesting information which potentially could be very helpful to anyone reading it! :tu:

Edited by regi

Perhaps a change of your avatar would help. Something happier, brighter with things in it that represent what you want in your life. A positive way to remember what you wish to achieve. It's a place to start.