Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World War Z - New Zombie flick

Hazzard

GOtta say not liking the whole ant like zombies or the fact it resembles nothing of the book. i will go see it simply because its a zombie flick but im not hanging any hopes on this one.

• Like 1

I agree it should be more like the book - but it still looks pretty cool, have been waiting for this one for quite awhile, love the speed and aggressiveness of the zombie hordes should make for intense action scenes.

• Like 1

Some of the movie was filmed in Glasgow.

They saved a fortune on makeup...

• Like 4

The book was great. An amazing connection of short stories. But the movie has very little to do with the book. What a bummer.

It might still be a good movie, though, but I would have liked to see an actual adaption of the book.

Well the trailer looks really good.

I like Brad Pitt most of the time so hopefully this will be good.

I also like the ant concept. It's a little different from the usual "zombies".

• Like 1

GOtta say not liking the whole ant like zombies or the fact it resembles nothing of the book. i will go see it simply because its a zombie flick but im not hanging any hopes on this one.

I completely agree, these walkers are far more athletic than... um... athletes. What were they shot with... Captain America's super soldier serum or something. Its a joke. Sheezus!

I loved the book and it stands as really one of the few exceptions that can be considered a respectable piece of zombie literature this side of I Am Legend and The Walking Dead.

cnt say im fond of CGI for the mass zombie hordes either. But heck i got a yearly membership paid for in full to my local cinema so ill still see it and leave final judgement for post viewing

I find these sprinting zombies more frightening than the usual slow azz walkers.

Im watching this one, no doubt.

• Like 2

I find these sprinting zombies more frightening than the usual slow azz walkers.

Im watching this one, no doubt.

I agree, 28 days/weeks later are far more scary than the usual slow walkers. They make you feel like there is no hope. lol Which is far more frightening than zombies you can out walk.

If it ever came true though, please be slow walkers. LOL

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

Slow zombies all the way. More realistic and in my eyes the slow walkers are way more scarier. In most horror movies the killer walks slowly, why? To give you this feeling of no escape, no matter how fast you run, they'll find you. Now, I'm not saying runners aren't scary (totally are), but there's something about the emaciated rotting form of a human struggling along that just wants one thing, your flesh, that scares me. If you've ever read Autumn by David Moody or Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne, then you've got a good idea why the slow ones are scary. They're not scary on their own, but they make up for it in sheer numbers, in sheer relentlessness, and the fact that they'll always follow sound and light. Good luck scavenging.

• Like 1

I dunno, Hasina. Those Lemming Zombies definitely look scarier to me. :unsure:

28 weeks later is probably the best and 'scariest' zombie film I've seen and the reason for this was that the zombies were agile.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

I dunno, Hasina. Those Lemming Zombies definitely look scarier to me. :unsure:

28 weeks later is probably the best and 'scariest' zombie film I've seen and the reason for this was that the zombies were agile.

But the rage virus infected in 28 Weeks Later arent technically dead though. They are very much still alive. Once someone puts them down they stay down.

The zombies in WWZ are flipping ridiculously agile... like something straight out of a video game.

If I found my self in a zombie apocalypse I would try and go north. Just to see how these (slow) zombie dudes does in sub zero weather and 2 ft of snow. :tu:

and yes, I find the runners more scary than the walkers.

Edited by DBunker

• 8 months later...

I finally saw this yesterday. As a huge fan of the book, I was really disappointed that it strayed so far from the source material. Although I do have to say that it was a pretty good movie, but there was a lot of missed potential in connecting it more closely with the book.

I understand that the original plan was for it to be a trilogy, but that was scrapped due to the production difficulties and rewrites. But following its strong opening, a sequel was green lit and the trilogy is back on the table. So perhaps we'll get to see something more tied in with the book in the next installments.

For anyone familiar with the book, I was left with the feeling that the movie should have been called World War Z: The Great Panic as it's really a first hand account of the final, mass outbreak that took the world to the edge of oblivion.

And while I liked the ending, it was a bit "Hollywood" if you know what I mean. But I can certainly see why they did it this way given the fact that they weren't sure a sequel was going to happen.

I'm looking forward to this film. I've not read the books so I can't say how closely it follows so I'll watch it on its own merits. The idea of super-fast, super-agile zombies is something I haven't really seen before. I haven't seen 28 days (or weeks) Later, so I can't say about agile zombies, but in traditional shambling zombie routines I've found it quite nail-biting just watching as hoardes of zombies surround you. One zombie is easy to run away from, 200 zombies converging on your location, creepy as heck. Even having zombies just lie on the ground mimicking dead bodies, and then suddenly animating as you step over them is creepy, not sure how that would compare to a race of super-soldier zombies.

With that said, probably the reason I'm watching this (apart from being a fan of Brad Pitt) is that it isn't a traditional zombie flick. I'm not a fan of the shambling type of zombie films. Having superhero zombies gives me the feeling of a more action-oriented flick than a blood-and-gore fest (though I'm expecting blood-and-gore along with the ride).

I'm looking forward to this film. I've not read the books so I can't say how closely it follows so I'll watch it on its own merits. The idea of super-fast, super-agile zombies is something I haven't really seen before. I haven't seen 28 days (or weeks) Later, so I can't say about agile zombies, but in traditional shambling zombie routines I've found it quite nail-biting just watching as hoardes of zombies surround you. One zombie is easy to run away from, 200 zombies converging on your location, creepy as heck. Even having zombies just lie on the ground mimicking dead bodies, and then suddenly animating as you step over them is creepy, not sure how that would compare to a race of super-soldier zombies.

With that said, probably the reason I'm watching this (apart from being a fan of Brad Pitt) is that it isn't a traditional zombie flick. I'm not a fan of the shambling type of zombie films. Having superhero zombies gives me the feeling of a more action-oriented flick than a blood-and-gore fest (though I'm expecting blood-and-gore along with the ride).

I lean more to the shambling hordes myself, but I'm not a purist as some folks are. I thought the WWZ zombies were interesting and a bit of a change of a pace from recent films. FYI, in the book, they're shambling.

I will say this, if there ever is a zombie apocalypse, pray for slow zombies because the fast ones are pretty much unstoppable.

Edited by Rafterman

Why even call this movie World War Z? Did the read the book? Did they care?

**** Hollywood. Ugh.

Why even call this movie World War Z? Did the read the book? Did they care?

**** Hollywood. Ugh.

Because Brad Pitt's production company bought the rights, that's why.

Yea, the movie sort of started out as an adaptation but then they went through a few rewrites and (later) reshoots to change the ending.

Given that it's so far from the source material now, I would simply ignore any previous connection to the book. It's not a terrible movie either, fairly entertaining.

Apparently the first write up, which was basically Brad Pitt travelling the world after the Zombie War getting accounts from survivors, much like the book, was described as Oscar worthy, then the money troubles began.

I didn't like the film but due to Pitt earning credit from me for Seven, Fight Club, Snatch and Jesse James; I dont judge the film too harshly. Brad just runs around, the zombies run around and then it ends up in Cardiff, of all places (because the closest

WHO laboratory to Israel

is obviously in Cardiff, Wales). The whole third act just didn't fit the style or pace of the first or second for me and i felt that to be incredibly jarring.

There were things I liked, for example, the...

zombie outbreak on the plane

...really well done, quite terrifying.

And the appearance of Peter Capaldi is always welcome.

Edited by Walter White

Walter, I haven't seen the movie yet. Will clicking the spoilers ruin the film for me?