Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What did we learn in this election?

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#166    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 16 November 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

So if you don't vote for Obama you are racist? I think it's racist of you to suggest that you should vote for him just because he's black.

no i was making a joke. but i know a lot of people who are racist and i don't know if they voted but if they did i'm sure that color was a deciding factor. but based on what i saw of the debate (which wasn't much) Romney didn't seem like he even knew what he was doing. that's just the way it looked to me. one guys opinion. i don't really agree with Obama any more than anyone else, but he seems to have a plan and it bugs me when people don't finish their plans. by the way, i didn't even vote because i honestly don't care. nothing will ever change anyway until they stop wasting money on the other side of the ocean.

Edited by Xanthurion2, 17 November 2012 - 04:23 AM.

SRS

#167    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,226 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

Got it.

#168    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

• We all look for truth, however when we find it, some times we wish we hadn't. R. Burch

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostCommunitarianKevin, on 07 November 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

What did we learn during this election?

1.) The biggest point for me is the Tea Party. Republicans, the Tea Party is killing you. Distance yourself from them. I gained a lot of respect for the American people and a bit for the Republican Party as a whole for not electing/re-electing these morons. The worse thing they did was open their mouths. If you are a Tea Partier, please…keep talking in public…

The Tea Party crushed Republican hopes. Republicans thought they would do great in the Senate races but did horrible.

Akin lost horribly to a beatable candidate after his “legitimate rape” comments.

Richard Mourdock was defeated badly after his “all pregnancies are a gift from God” statement.

In Mass, Warren pounded the incumbent Brown after his campaign of personal attacks.

In the House…

Allen West appears to have lost his seat in Florida.

Michele Bachmann nearly lost her seat in the House, winning by less than 4,000 votes or 51% AND this is after making a run for President. (Edit:Putting this on hold for now. It is now 50-50 with Graves leading Bachmann.)

2.) 6 Billion dollars spent on this election and the results were nearly the same as they were 4 years ago…

3.) Saving the auto industry made a difference. Many do not agree with it, but those that were working in it and lived in the areas where the economy was affected would disagree. The auto industry gave Obama Ohio.

4.) Republicans need to take a different approach. This was their last shot. With the economy in the shape it is in, a high unemployment rate, and a soaring national debt, it was their election to win. Times are changing. They need to start catering more to gays, women, and minorities. They need to come back to the center and start working with the Dems.

5.) Fox News is always wrong ;)

But please, please, please, for the sake of America, get along and get things done. Obama is the President for another 4 years and cannot run again. The war is over. Work together and get things done so we can progress into the future.

The Tea Party has rejected the establishment politicians on BOTH sides. They are NOT I repeat NOT a party line entity and never was.
The Tea Party was formed in 2006 in response to Government over spending PERIOD!

I didn't learn anything it's same ol same ol. However I do have sticker shock.

Edited by cerberusxp, 17 November 2012 - 05:24 PM.

What we say and do unto others while here on earth are the vessels of our glory or undoing EXCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY
credentials http://www.unexplain...amp;pid=2291684

" I want the people of America to work less for the Government and more for themselves" Calvin Coolidge 1924
If one were to try and pidgin hole me I'd say I was a Jeffersonian liberal.

#169    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,539 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

View Postcerberusxp, on 17 November 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

The Tea Party has rejected the establishment politicians on BOTH sides. They are NOT I repeat NOT a party line entity and never was.

The Tea Party is just a re-branding of the Republican base. Indeed, their main achievements are in affecting Republican primary elections because they're a significant component of the Republican primary electorate; the mixed records in general elections (particularly in states or Congressional districts that are not already heavily Republican) of the candidates they shepherd through the Republican nominating process is just a further indication that when you get to an electorate composed of more than just Republicans, the Tea Party influence drops off rapidly.

Edited by Startraveler, 17 November 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#170    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• 1,067 posts

• We all look for truth, however when we find it, some times we wish we hadn't. R. Burch

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostStartraveler, on 17 November 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

The Tea Party is just a re-branding of the Republican base. Indeed, their main achievements are in affecting Republican primary elections because they're a significant component of the Republican primary electorate; the mixed records in general elections (particularly in states or Congressional districts that are not already heavily Republican) of the candidates they shepherd through the Republican nominating process is just a further indication that when you get to an electorate composed of more than just Republicans, the Tea Party influence drops off rapidly.
Alright so why do they also support Democrats? They supported 30 Dems in 2010. Apparently you believe the lies perpetrated by the establishment news networks. Being led by the nose by these propagandists is what's wrong.

Edited by cerberusxp, 17 November 2012 - 05:50 PM.

What we say and do unto others while here on earth are the vessels of our glory or undoing EXCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY

" I want the people of America to work less for the Government and more for themselves" Calvin Coolidge 1924

#171    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• 1,067 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Get the facts from the horses mouth not propagandists, Tea party 365 about

"Active in politics on the local and national level, David co-founded TeaParty365 in New York City, a non-partisan, non-profit advocacy group for fiscal responsibility, and is the spokesman for the National Tea Party Federation. In September 2010 David was named to the Newsweek Inside The Tea Party Top 10 and in November 2010 in About.com’s Satellite Radio’s New School of Conservative Talk Stars. In December 2011 David was selected as one of “Time Magazine’s Person of the Year ~ The Protester” representing the tea party movement."

Edited by cerberusxp, 17 November 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#172    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,770 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Obama won by a relatively close margin - no blow outs or mandates here.  If he tries to compromise at all he will have done more than he attempted to do in his first term and I expect repubs to work with him.  If he stonewalls again then we will have gridlock.  Divided government can be a good thing at times and I guess this is one of them.  As to "working together" - it only works when both sides try at the same time :tu:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#173    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,115 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

View Postand then, on 17 November 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Obama won by a relatively close margin - no blow outs or mandates here.

are you just trying to make yourself feel better or lying to yourself?

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#174    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

View Postand then, on 17 November 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Obama won by a relatively close margin - no blow outs or mandates here.
I'm somewhat dubious over the whole "Obama's got no mandate" argument.  He won the election, there's his mandate.

:)

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#175    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,226 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

A mandate would've been an electoral blowout like Reagan did and FDR did with something like 500+ electoral votes. A couple of million popular vote difference between the two candidates is hardly a mandate considering its out of around 110 million votes. The only mandate is that the people decided they don't want anything to change ATM and the glaring statement is that the country is near evenly divided right in half. Some of us just think it sucks that a wee little bit more than half the voters want;
high gas prices
high taxes
high food prices
high costs of living
unlimited federal spending
more government control of their lives
to be forced to buy things
to be penalized if they don't
to be 20 trillion dollars in debt
a free flip phone in some cases
And the other half has to suffer because of that. A mandate really in this context is just semantics but obamas been using that word as if the country just flipped head over heals for him with overwhelming support. All he got was more of the same, actually a little less, and so did we.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 18 November 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#176    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,136 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

Balancing the budget is like having someone pour your liquor supply down the sink or put your drug dealer in jail. It is going to hurt over the short run but might save your life over the long term

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#177    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,136 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

not my quote

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#178    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,626 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

View PostStartraveler, on 17 November 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

The Tea Party is just a re-branding of the Republican base

Indeed, their main achievements are in affecting Republican primary elections because they're a significant component of the Republican primary electorate; the mixed records in general elections (particularly in states or Congressional districts that are not already heavily Republican) of the candidates they shepherd through the Republican nominating process is just a further indication that when you get to an electorate composed of more than just Republicans, the Tea Party influence drops off rapidly.

True, but it didnt start out that way. I went to a tea party in the first week. It was way more of a Ron Paul type ralley then it was a republican gathering. Some folks were there to empower the party, but most of the folks I talked to just wanted to restore freedom and stop spending. Bush was president, so it had nothing to do with 0bama or dems.

Then the media got hold of it, and the sheep quickly followed. I learned a hard lesson during that time.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#179    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 13,187 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I remember the Boston Tea Party 2007 like it was yesterday.   Republicans at that time were like "the Boston what?"   Then in 2009 they tread all over the grass that Ron Paul planted and ruined it.   This wasn't helped by the politics played on either side, with Democrats putting the "Tea Partiers" into one box and painting it up in as silly colors as they could find.

Edit: "Baggers"

Edited by Yamato, 26 December 2012 - 05:55 PM.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#180    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,424 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

I learned that too many people base their votes on crap they read on FaceBook.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users