Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SQL errors

Saru

Some of you have been reporting SQL database errors on the site at various times. We're currently experiencing some problems with the database server, if you receive an SQL error message then please wait a few seconds and then refresh the page.

Unfortunately while I've been trying to resolve this issue an even bigger problem has cropped up to do with the site's bandwidth usage, which will have to take priority.

I very much hope to have these issues under control as soon as possible.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Rykster

• __Kratos__

• cerberusxp

I had the same problem, didn't know everyone else was having it also. but mine didn't go away untill I rebooted my computer.

Had to reboot a few times, but I figured it out. Get yer sh** together! *smiles*

*hugs saru*

It's great fun when things go wrong huh? :(

mine didn't go away untill I rebooted my computer.

These problems are at our end, rebooting your computer won't make any difference.

It's great fun when things go wrong huh?

You can say that again. :(

It was very emotionally devestating to be forced away from these boards for a while.

I'm glad the SQL thingie is cleared up.

Just to clarify, this issue is still ongoing and has not yet been resolved.

I was wondering why there was only 19 members on board. :)

Just to clarify, this issue is still ongoing and has not been resolved.

Gonna leave you alone. Ya have enuff stuff to deal with.

Ugh. I hope it gts fixed soon.

There will be a short period of downtime (probably no more than 15 minutes) later on today, hopefully within the next 12-24 hours, in which new hardware will be installed on both our servers.

This upgrade will resolve both the database and bandwidth issues mentioned above. Please bear with us. :tu:

YAY!

New hardware!

I like the sound of that.

Just make it quick, I am addicted to this site! :w00t:

The memory upgrade is now complete, we are still waiting on the fix for the bandwidth problem but we should no longer be seeing any SQL errors.

If you do experience any further database/SQL errors, please let me know.

Thanks. :tu:

If you do experience any further database/SQL errors, please let me know.

I just got a SQL error, at 8:53 am (my time) as a guest, trying to view the Islam topic.

Any SQL errors received this morning were a result of work being performed on the database server to accomodate the new hardware upgrade, so you shouldn't see any more of them now.

If you do experience any more from this point however, please let me know. If possible, try to copy+paste the error message aswell as it helps me diagnose the problem.

Thanks. :)

Again in the early hours of this morning, site was down for about five hours while I was asleep because a linux configuration file magically reset itself and essentially forgot the new routing rules I put in.

Could have fixed it at any point had it not done it in the middle of the night. Typically bad timing, sorry about that.

Again in the early hours of this morning, site was down for about five hours while I was asleep because a linux configuration file magically reset itself and essentially forgot the new routing rules I put in.

Could have fixed it at any point had it not done it in the middle of the night. Typically bad timing, sorry about that.

Its okay :) The SQL message came up but I didnt copy it sorry. I just waited and tried again and here i am

Edited by jesspy

Heh, the gremlins at work. What did I tell ya big guy? ;)

Two on the same page, but if you were restarting the server, that could explain them...

SQL error: Server shutdown in progress

SQL error code:

Date: Monday 13th of February 2006 06:35:11 PM

SQL error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

SQL error code:

Date: Monday 13th of February 2006 06:35:11 PM

Edit - Removed a couple of lines as they were distorting the page. Since this error is explainable (see below) we don't need to keep those lines up anyway.

Edit: Gotcha!

Edited by Rykster

Rykster, as you suspected those errors were due to me restarting the database server to implement a possible fix for the error Kratos posted. Restarting SQL takes less than five seconds, so you must have tried to access a page during that window.

The original error (errno 11) is very hard to diagnose, as despite a lot of people reporting it on Google there is next to no documentation detailing what is causing it or how to solve it apart from a few vague hints which don't really help.

I've tweaked a few settings on the database server which may have been causing the problem, if this error persists however then i'll have to ask around on various database forums to try and find a more effective solution to it. Let me know if you see the error again and if so, how often it occurs.

Dunno if this will help, but what da heck.

(feel free to delete this post if you want)

Increasing max connections alone is not enough. The user running the

apache/mysql must get permission to run that many processes. To find out

if there are limits you should run ulimit as that user. A typical output

of ulimit -a (debian):

core file size (blocks, -c) 0

data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited

file size (blocks, -f) unlimited

max locked memory (kbytes, -l) unlimited

max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited

open files (-n) 1024

pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8

stack size (kbytes, -s) 8192