Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM 8.0 Forum Upgrade

Saru

The forum has been updated today with the promised changes as part of the ongoing series of updates for the site. There have been a lot of changes to the forum this time, many of which are outlined below:

Fixed width & Full screen forum skins

For the first time there is now a full screen version of the UM forum skin. To use it, select "UM 8.0 Fullscreen" from the skin selection drop-down box at the bottom left hand corner of the main forum index. The full screen skin will use the entire width of your screen instead of sticking to the default fixed width. This will be of particular benefit to users with high screen resolutions. Users of 800x600 should stick with the fixed width theme.

Design changes

The forum design has been updated, i've lightened the colour scheme slightly, and removed the very cluttered navigation bars that were in the old design. The blog header area has also been updated and now correctly displays the blog icon and background.

UM chatroom returns

A completely new chat room has been added to the site and forum, replacing the antiquated chat room we were using before. To access it, simply click 'Chat Room' from the forum menu at the top of the screen, or the option from the left hand menu on the main site. A users online counter on the forum index will display the usernames of anyone in the chat room at any given time. The chat room is integrated with the forum user database so you will appear in the room using your UM username, and the room itself now supports many additional features which you can access from the series of buttons above the chat text box.

User posting ranks/pips update

To make the posting ranks and pip icons a little more interesting, the pips have been replaced with two new types of 'star' pips. Yellow stars will represent post rank milestones up to 1000 posts, which will then be replaced with blue circled stars up to 10,000 posts. Several new rank titles have been added to complement the new rank count milestones.

The new ranks are as follows:

0 Alien Embryo - 1 star

125 Ectoplasmic Residue - 1 star

250 Aparition - 2 stars

375 Extraterrestrial Entity - 3 stars

500 Remote Viewer - 4 stars

625 Astral Projection - 5 stars

750 Paranormal Investigator - 6 stars

875 Conspiracy Theoriest - 7 stars

1000 psychic spy - 8 stars

2125 poltergeist - 1 blue stars

3250 government agent - 2 blue stars

4375 alien abducter - 3 blue stars

5500 Majestic 12 Operative - 4 blue stars

6625 Telekinetic - 5 blue stars

7750 Non-corporeal being - 6 blue stars

8875 Omnipotent Entity - 7 blue stars

10000 Forum divinity - 8 blue stars

10000+ - TBA

Custom rank titles

Users with 1000 posts or more can now have their own custom rank title instead of using the default ones provided. This option is available from 'My Controls' >> 'Edit Profile Information'.

New forum board sections

Several new boards have been added to the forum, aswell as many changes to existing boards and categories. Some existing boards have been re-ordered to better categorise subjects together while others have been renamed.

The completely new boards are:

- True crime

- Space & Astronomy

- Natural World

As always after a forum update, if you find any problems or bugs then please let me know, more changes will be coming soon. :tu:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• thebarman

• tiddlyjen

• et's daddy

is this the end of the SQL errors ?

i pray to the gods it is

Wow!

....just...wow, nice one - looks fantastic :tu:

is this the end of the SQL errors ?

Although this update isn't related to the SQL errors, the fix I put in two days ago seems to have prevented any more of them from cropping up, so it's looking quite promising as far as that's concerned - fingers crossed. :lol:

nice job Saruman keep up the good work! :blush:

Chatroom looks great, bit lonely, but great nonetheless :tu:

Edit: Not that I'm not dreadfully impressed already, but will custom avatars for the chatroom be becoming avaliable?

Edited by thebarman

Chatroom looks great, bit lonely, but great nonetheless

Once everyone gets used to the chat room being there we should hopefully get some activity going on in there. :tu:

will custom avatars for the chatroom be becoming avaliable?

Some of the advanced features of the forum are not going to be available in the chat room because it's java based, which limits what it can do. I don't think custom avatar uploads will be possible, but i can't rule it out completely.

I love the changes. Great work, Saru! :tu::)

Great changes, but I still can't figure out why some people have circles around their stars.

EDIT: Nevermind, I reread the first post. Still good changes.

Edited by MJB222

Very nice update. I'll try to be around more often, a lot of older members have left so I've not been visiting as much. Everything looks good.

Loving the new look. Great job. And I also like the idea of having our own title once we reach 1,000 posts. And the pips are sweet too.

skin selection drop-down box at the bottom left hand corner of the main forum index.

I did not find this.

How did I miss it?

It looks ace, I actually noticed the header for once! Great Updates, I hope the next ones are just as good, or even better

Allo SaRuMaN :)

I just switched to 'Full-Screen' on my laptop and the Forum looks grreaattt!! user posted image

Most impressive now

user posted image

Superfunkadelic banner :wub: I wub it!!!!!!!!

ooooh and the starssssss!!!

Now all we need is some PINK

Edited by Snowbaby

I like it a lot. The fullscreen and banner are most pleasureful. :yes: Is there yet another update still planned?

:nw: Saru!!!!!!Awesome, awesome, awesome job!:tu:

*hugs* Very very kewl looking, and purty, and...very well done dudey! :w00t:

:wub: Jen xxx

Edited by tiddlyjen

I love the changes!!! :tu:

After popping into the chat room for a minute it didn't take me long to figure out it's not my forte. Way too many people seeming to talk all at once and I don't type that fast. :blush:

:lol:

Congrats SaRu...great job.

Just 1 question..where is the Paleo section?

Excellent work, Saruman. I already enjoy the new look and feel of Unexplained-Mysteries. I applaud you for bringing back the chatroom and making it better than ever. :tu: