Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Jodi Arias Trial


  • Please log in to reply
836 replies to this topic

#781    Myles

Myles

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,268 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostYamato, on 21 May 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Jagged and biased TV personalities are the secret sauce a for-profit network like HLN needs to serve the corn feed to the masses.   How many millions have they raked in thanks to Jodi Arias?   If only they didn't hide their giggles when their back pockets are taking in all that profit as they rail, rant and ridicule their cute little controversies they gleefully manufacture for us, then I might start to make more sense around here.  

Good night friend.
Who are the not-for-profit news staions?


#782    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,480 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostMyles, on 21 May 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Who are the not-for-profit news staions?
That's not the distinction that matters.  They're not like HLN; they're not People Magazine on television.  There wouldn't be room for more than one of those, and there's hardly enough room for even one, based on ratings.  That said, there are plenty of non-profit news outlets you can learn about yourself on the internet but it wasn't my purpose to push those.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#783    backwoods

backwoods

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined:10 Apr 2013

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

If the Alexander's are successful in the wrongful death civil suite then won't they be able to claim the proceeds from the sale of ms. Arias' art work and tee shirts? At least couldn't they stop her from selling her products? It seems that I remember a similar case with the art work of "clown killer" John Wayne Gacy.


#784    Myles

Myles

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,268 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostYamato, on 21 May 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

That's not the distinction that matters.  They're not like HLN; they're not People Magazine on television.  There wouldn't be room for more than one of those, and there's hardly enough room for even one, based on ratings.  That said, there are plenty of non-profit news outlets you can learn about yourself on the internet but it wasn't my purpose to push those.

I disagree.   They are all in it for ratings.   ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN and MSN.   I will admit Nancy Grace is more annoying than most, but I just choose not to watch her show or block of air time.


#785    docyabut2

docyabut2

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,437 posts
  • Joined:12 Aug 2011

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

I do think I understand Jodi, a once very sweet girl. She was a victum of verbal abuse.Maybe problems in her youth, but not treated by anyone like Travis treated her the vebral abuse.Sometimes vebral abuse can makes one feel more raged and sick inside then physcial abuse.She only had to realize that way he was treating her was of his own bad way he felt about himself, and what he felt he was doing wrong with in his self , instead of killing him in her anger. I hope they give her life.


#786    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,480 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

Scouring the countryside for glamorously cute murderers and murder victims and turning up empty, HLN continues its wall-to-wall coverage of the Jodi Arias trial because, let's be frank, there's absolutely nothing else of importance out there to report on.   Success is, after all, a recipe.  Find the worst example of human behavior available today and flog. it. to. death.   Surely I can appreciate that if I would only think about it long enough.   All that matters to our spare time on the couch is Jodi.   No, there are no good people out there doing good things to report on.  That's boring, and they're kinda ugly too.   There's just Jodi.  No complaints.  Jodi Arias all day, every day.   It's great.  We're a great country.   We care.
Posted Image

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#787    Myles

Myles

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,268 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostYamato, on 23 May 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

Scouring the countryside for glamorously cute murderers and murder victims and turning up empty, HLN continues its wall-to-wall coverage of the Jodi Arias trial because, let's be frank, there's absolutely nothing else of importance out there to report on.   Success is, after all, a recipe.  Find the worst example of human behavior available today and flog. it. to. death.   Surely I can appreciate that if I would only think about it long enough.   All that matters to our spare time on the couch is Jodi.   No, there are no good people out there doing good things to report on.  That's boring, and they're kinda ugly too.   There's just Jodi.  No complaints.  Jodi Arias all day, every day.   It's great.  We're a great country.   We care.
Posted Image

To me, it sounds like you are sucked in more than most. I know what is happening in the trial, but not the details and not to the point where I watch news shows about it.    That's the great thing about the TV remote.


#788    regi

regi

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,296 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 23 May 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

I hope they give her life.

If they decide 'life', the judge then decides whether or not it's life without parole or with parole eligibility after 25 years.
In Arias' case, she's already spent 5 years behind bars and that would be to her credit, so...if she's given life/with, then theoretically, she could be out in 20.


#789    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Pineapple under the Sea

  • Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Regi, I don't know much about the USA legal system (or the UK for that matter lol) but wondered if you could please help me understand something I saw mentioned in a report.

I read because her lawyer had asked that she be dropped from the case, if she is given the DP, this has practically handed her an appeal on a plate.  As she could say that during the last part where she had to try and convince the jury not to give her DP, she could say she wasn't properly represented or something along those line.  Is that true?  Do you think her lawyer asking to be dropped from the case could have been a sneaky move just to make sure she can get an appeal if given DP?


#790    regi

regi

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,296 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 23 May 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

Regi, I don't know much about the USA legal system (or the UK for that matter lol)

Hey, we're all learning! :tu:  And here, the laws vary from state to state. To start with, not all states have a death penalty, aka, capital punishment.

View PostMoon Gazer, on 23 May 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

I read because her lawyer had asked that she be dropped from the case, if she is given the DP, this has practically handed her an appeal on a plate.

An appeal is automatic for a death penalty case.

View PostMoon Gazer, on 23 May 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

As she could say that during the last part where she had to try and convince the jury not to give her DP, she could say she wasn't properly represented or something along those line.  Is that true?  Do you think her lawyer asking to be dropped from the case could have been a sneaky move just to make sure she can get an appeal if given DP?

No, I don't believe they asked to be dropped in order to try and establish grounds for an appeal.
'Ineffective Council' is grounds for an appeal, but I've read that it's very, very difficult to show. For one thing, it would have to be extreme negligence, and so it appears to me highly doubtful that Arias could even possibly win on those grounds.


#791    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Pineapple under the Sea

  • Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Ineffective council!  That is what they called it, thanks.  Well if appeal is automatic in DP cases guess it would matter very little anyway.

Will be interesting to see what way they go.


#792    CuriousLittleOne

CuriousLittleOne

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Joined:31 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

holy........

i've just read up on this, seen really terrible photos, the poor guy!

Posted Image
probabbly seen by everyone by now, but still, found this helpful, ok so he was "knifed" between 5.29 and 5:30.

Edited by CuriousLittleOne, 23 May 2013 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

#793    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,480 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostMyles, on 23 May 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

To me, it sounds like you are sucked in more than most. I know what is happening in the trial, but not the details and not to the point where I watch news shows about it. That's the great thing about the TV remote.
If you want to do a post count on these 53 pages and publish the results, we can use that as a measure for how sucked in we are.  As for why you're singling me out, I have no idea.  I never said I wasn't interested.  You just never asked why.  

In the final days of this trial I was hoping for a not-guilty verdict because I believed/believe the greater good was handing this shameless, tawdry, valueless, disgraceful media a lesson.   It doesn't hurt that it would also be the comedy event of the year.   Youtubing Nancy Grace in a month from now would have provided hours and days of entertainment.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#794    Myles

Myles

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,268 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

I didn't mean to offend you if I did.   I think I only singled you out because you have been the most vocal (or typed) about the coverage of this.    You also are very knowledgable of the case.   Seems you are sucked in more than most.


#795    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,480 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostMyles, on 23 May 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

I didn't mean to offend you if I did.   I think I only singled you out because you have been the most vocal (or typed) about the coverage of this. You also are very knowledgable of the case.   Seems you are sucked in more than most.
I know far less about the case than others here do, I'm probably less tolerant of the way the money-media plays with it, more respectful of the rule of law, and perhaps now more merciful with the convicted.  Other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about when you talk of me being "sucked in".   I watch 10-15 seconds of HLN a day because it's all I can stand.   There are frames frozen on HLN's screen that anyone with TVs set to mute can still read almost instantly.  Even when they're not talking about the case, they're displaying information about it.   It is wall-to-wall coverage literally.   It was from those I found out she was guilty.  It was from those I found out she was cruel.   It is from those I now know her life hangs in the balance of her peers.   I know nothing of the profitable "blah blah blah" that others do who have the noise on.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users