Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

E-mail error ends up on road sign

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,182 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

man you have to love things like this.:lol:

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.

Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".

So that was what went up under the English version which barred lorries from a road near a supermarket. "When they're proofing signs, they should really use someone who speaks Welsh," said journalist Dylan Iorwerth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

Posted Image

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,114 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

That's old. :P I remember reading about this a few years ago. Still funny though.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,738 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'd never seen that one before... Others in the office were wondering what I was laughing at...

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,497 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

The Welsh language has always confused me, I mean, how did they get letters which should never be together...together and form a word out of it?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,182 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 29 August 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

The Welsh language has always confused me, I mean, how did they get letters which should never be together...together and form a word out of it?

hehe yeh, imagine having your Welsh travel / language guide in your hand, and you need to ask....

where is the "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"  please?   :lol:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, a railway station on the island of Anglesey in Wales, is the longest place name in the Welsh language. At 51 letters in the Welsh alphabet, the name can be translated as "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave".

http://en.wikipedia....est_words#Welsh

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,497 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

View Postseeder, on 29 August 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

hehe yeh, imagine having your Welsh travel / language guide in your hand, and you need to ask....

where is the "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"  please?   :lol:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, a railway station on the island of Anglesey in Wales, is the longest place name in the Welsh language. At 51 letters in the Welsh alphabet, the name can be translated as "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave".

http://en.wikipedia....est_words#Welsh
Haha, see!! thats just ridiculous. How the heck do you pronounce the "pwllgwyngyllg" bit (for starters)?
I think the Welsh were having a bit of a laugh with the tourists when they came out with these "names".

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,494 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

According to my sources, the name is now even longer!  It's now....
"St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave and right across the road from Tesco."

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,497 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostEldorado, on 29 August 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

"St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave and right across the road from Tesco."
Posted Image

Edited by freetoroam, 29 August 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#9    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,258 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 29 August 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Haha, see!! thats just ridiculous. How the heck do you pronounce the "pwllgwyngyllg" bit (for starters)?
I think the Welsh were having a bit of a laugh with the tourists when they came out with these "names".
I believe its a silent P

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,497 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 29 August 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

I believe its a silent P
LOL.

And I believe its a P alright.

#11    zebra99

zebra99

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostEldorado, on 29 August 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

Sort of....
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogocheverylittlehelpsboyo

It'll never catch on :no:

Posted Image

#12    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,182 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

Now you can learn how to say it with a sing along!!

#13    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,182 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

Ah man this page gave me a laugh  :lol:

The Welsh Word for Microwave
Pop your tea into the "popty ping"!

Popty is the word for "oven" in Welsh, and ping is the sound the microwave makes when it has finished its business!

The Welsh words listed here look and even sound like English words, but are actually "false friends." In other words, they sound the same, but have a completely different meaning.

For instance, don't go saying that you are hurt in Welsh if you fall down the stairs. All you'll be saying is that you are "silly" and that is hardly cause to ship you off to the hospital!

English: Carrots = Welsh: Moron
(Not the English "moron" meaning stupid.)
English: Nothing = Welsh: Dim
(Not the English "dim" as in slow or dim-witted.)
English: Old = Welsh: Hen
(Not the English "hen" as in chicken.)
English: Crows = Welsh: Brain
(Not the English word for the organ that keeps us thinking!)
English: Exit = Welsh: Allan
(Not a name)
English: Children = Welsh: Plant
(not the ones that grow in the ground but, come to think of it, children do grow like plants.
English: Dough or Pastry = Welsh: Toes
(not those little digits on the end of your feet.
English: Challenge = Welsh: Her
(Sounds like the English word, "hair")

PLUS LOADS MORE
http://www.squidoo.c...nny-welsh-words

Edited by seeder, 29 August 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#14    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 29 August 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

That's old. :P I remember reading about this a few years ago. Still funny though.
The article sourced is dated Friday, 31 October 2008

Or you could just say Llanfair PG, or Llanfair as it is known by the locals.

Posted Image

#15    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

It's easy when you know how :lol:

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 29 August 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

I believe its a silent P
No it isn't.

Edited by Still Waters, 30 August 2013 - 03:59 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users