Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reid supports expanding background checks

questionmark

Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said he’s unsure whether he will support a ban on assault weapons and restrictions on high-capacity ammunition magazines, but voiced support for increased background checks on firearm purchases in an interview that aired Sunday.

“I didn’t vote for the assault weapons last time because it was — didn’t make sense. But I’ll take a look at it,” Reid said in an interview on ABC News’ “This Week With George Stephanopoulos.”

The Nevada Democrat, who is recipient of a “B” rating from the National Rifle Association, sounded a supportive note when it came to a proposal for universal background checks for gun purchases. ”We need to increase that. I’m still a supporter of the Second Amendment, but you can do things like that,” he said.

Read more

• Like 1

See I honestly think that's something both sides of the fence can agree on.

No restrictions on what guns you can buy and own, but further and stricter checks.

• Like 2

Surprising that Sen. Reid is not following the Obama line in the sand. Guess he is not such a Stooge after all. Glad to see him taking the topic seriously.

I also do support a ban on "real" assault weapons, which are fully automatic, and not rifles that simply cosmetically look like assault rifles.

As to a Extended magazine... I agree that few people would need a 40+ round magazine, but a 20 round magazine does not seem so much to me. AFAIK 20 and 30 round magazines are pretty standard and exist in Large numbers.

let us play a game . your home just got blown away by a storm , you move into a bad area of town and are now renting , or living with a friend ...your current drivers licance does not match your current address, you have nearly no paper that says you are who you say you are .

try to buy a gun .

the very people the second amendment was design'd for , are the very people this law is designed to excluded from gun ownership... those who have the greatest need of one .

• Like 1

may i add ... goverment never gets it right , they never have , they never will ... and the only people who use goverment to get things done , have bad intentions tword the rest of us .

before you weigh in on this subject , it may be a good idea to take a walk in a bad part of town .

.... your local police station ....

notice how you are treated by those who are paid for and hired by you to police .

understand that these poeple in uniform and with guns are your employee's

our goverment is not in any tiny or meaningful way any diffrent from these police.

they are lifer's and they live the job . these are your employee's .

do you want to ever be in their cage , under their control , with out any means of escape .

how do you feel about being suspected of a crime that you had nothing at all to do with...

but had access to the place , attitude tword the victum , and it was your tool that did the thing ...

what i suggest as a game , you may have wanted the act , but did not do it .

do you want to be the target of these govermental agencys directors and enforcement lawers .... limited by their authority to pass reasonable regulation for the protection of the greater good.

let us play a game . your home just got blown away by a storm , you move into a bad area of town and are now renting , or living with a friend ...your current drivers licance does not match your current address, you have nearly no paper that says you are who you say you are .

try to buy a gun .

the very people the second amendment was design'd for , are the very people this law is designed to excluded from gun ownership... those who have the greatest need of one .

If you are renting then you have to have an ID and have had a credit check. No one rents to anyone with no credit and no ID.

Go to the DMV and get your licence renewed. Go to your friend or the electric company and get them to verify where you live. Show the gun dealer your old address and the insurance forms showing it was destroyed.

All that will take less then a day to complete, even by bus. There is no exuse other then complete and utter lazyness to prevent people from having the needed materials for a background check.

• Like 1

may i add ... goverment never gets it right , they never have , they never will ... and the only people who use goverment to get things done , have bad intentions tword the rest of us .

before you weigh in on this subject , it may be a good idea to take a walk in a bad part of town .

.... your local police station ....

notice how you are treated by those who are paid for and hired by you to police .

understand that these poeple in uniform and with guns are your employee's

our goverment is not in any tiny or meaningful way any diffrent from these police.

they are lifer's and they live the job . these are your employee's .

do you want to ever be in their cage , under their control , with out any means of escape .

how do you feel about being suspected of a crime that you had nothing at all to do with...

but had access to the place , attitude tword the victum , and it was your tool that did the thing ...

what i suggest as a game , you may have wanted the act , but did not do it .

do you want to be the target of these govermental agencys directors and enforcement lawers .... limited by their authority to pass reasonable regulation for the protection of the greater good.

So a gun will keep you safe from the Police and the local Government????? :hmm:

I've been hassled by the cop plenty and lived in abject total poverty for over half my life. Yet, I recognized that the cops were doing their job. And when I was living in Cheap Town, I was glad that when people got stabbed, or bitten by loose pitbulls, or shot, or run over by a unlicenced/uninsured non-English speaking person, that those cops were there to sort it out. And you know what, not a single person that I saw get arrested in Cheap Town part of Beaverton ever got shot by the cops, or got roughed up.

It is just propoganda that people spout off about the cops. They are just doing their job as best the Policitians will let them.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

this is the perfect answer..

i did not say anything about the police harming you... only that they work for you .

the jump you made was logical and implied , but not stated ... your answer assumes facts not given and words never said ..

what i do know is that DMV is not likly going to issue a temp ID with out certified documentation...

and if your homeless.. i suspect your first priority will be getting documents from govermental agancys and dealing with their rules and paper trails ...

and of course , that is the only way you can see to keep control ... you want the goverment limiting your freedom ... when you have no credit card to get a apartment , no way to get the back ground check when the phones are down ...

and your afraid for your life and the lives of your wife and children...

thats a good time to play inside the rules you have been told by a director of customer services... a guy not elected, just doing his job ...

I've been hassled by the cop plenty
not a single person that I saw get arrested in Cheap Town part of Beaverton ever got shot by the cops, or got roughed up.

A little bit of a contradiction from a not so bad part of town (Beaverton). Thats like saying Kip KInkle made Springfield a poor trailer trash town infested with meth and death.

It is a fact cops in Oregon do round ups. Across the state. Its all about how you look to them not what your doing.

Much love from a bit south. :su

universal back ground checks are no more an answer than outlawing all guns in both public and private hands .

the only reason to document who has a gun and universal registration is for confiscation and regulation of an unarmed population ... followed by govermental removal of surplus populations by any means .

bad actors will act badly regardless of what you do . putting a .357 mag in the purse of a 18year old teachers aid will go along way in protecting 6 year olds on a play ground .

frankly speaking , had i been in any school under attack by a bad actor ... i would die trying to get to him and drop him .

i would not need a 40 round magizine to stop a crazy who wants to live on fox news for a cycle , spoken by a head reading a heads up monitor ... but what about the 54 year old cook who would die for her little ones... but will have no effect with only a knife .

40 round magizines are fun , they cost a ton of money , they will bankrupt you in one afternoon ... and are far from deadly to any one untill you see what they do to your ammo budget .

what universal back ground checks really do is give the goverment a list of gun owners .

when they tell me... "tied to this is a universal ban on the goverment keeping any list of fire arms dealers , owners and ammo transactions ... and that this ends all further gun rights bans and limitations on gun rights...

i am not signing on to it

theyy are not done... this is just one more attack on reasonable people.

you want me to be reasonable... remove short barrel shot guns from illegal weapons ban ... remove barrel lenght limitations , remove bullet size limitations ... lets have sound reducers made legal ( not silancers , sound reducers will save shooters hearing )

lets see safe places to go shooting mandated befor you out law class's of guns that have no discription beyond make and model ... define what the aspect of the gun is dangerious to the public good... and lets understand why these guns have this aspect or design feature ...

who is it you are really disarming?

@onereaderone

but they look scary. you know like the kind the military uses. but they arent and we know that. but the publics gonna fall for it. so well tell them that anyway. They dont care about you or I or the next suzie down the street. They only want to disarm us. They want to put that chip in our arms that will track us. This is a soft strike towards that chip for the most likely to be dangerous people of there agenda. They call it madatory registration of all firearms and ammunition buys.. Meanwhile they will fill the jails and prisons with objectors to these insane unconstitutional laws while the rapist walks out the back door because he is not so dangerous. He only attacks suzie down the street while the man that would have protected her has 5 felonies and sits in a prison in New York because he was carrying some clips in his backseat. The same man that just got home from fighting every day for the past several years for the freedoms of this country. That was forced to carry a gun that is scary against other people that also is carrying scary guns and they shoot at each other. All because the same people that now have him in a prison cell told him too. Meanwhile suzie was raped and tortured and killed by the rapist that got out the backdoor of the prison because he is not so dangerous. This is the reality we live under today.

A little bit of a contradiction from a not so bad part of town (Beaverton). Thats like saying Kip KInkle made Springfield a poor trailer trash town infested with meth and death.

It is a fact cops in Oregon do round ups. Across the state. Its all about how you look to them not what your doing.

Much love from a bit south. :su

Hassled as in pulled over for BS reasons and given the run around by Police who were searching for someone in the neighborhood. As well as taking their time to respond to the Wife Beater upstairs and not doing anything about it. You know, not being "Thrown to the Ground", but wasting my time.

And not all in Beaverton either... Lots of BS cop pull overs and tickets in Portland too.

• Like 2

this is the perfect answer..

i did not say anything about the police harming you... only that they work for you .

the jump you made was logical and implied , but not stated ... your answer assumes facts not given and words never said ..

So it IS what you implied, but you're going to try to go Legal and dance around?? A gun thread and you post anti-police retoric... that is clear to me... (Guns = Protection from Police)

what i do know is that DMV is not likly going to issue a temp ID with out certified documentation...

and if your homeless.. i suspect your first priority will be getting documents from govermental agancys and dealing with their rules and paper trails ...

and of course , that is the only way you can see to keep control ... you want the goverment limiting your freedom ... when you have no credit card to get a apartment , no way to get the back ground check when the phones are down ...

and your afraid for your life and the lives of your wife and children...

So would you rather that the Homeless, as in those who live under bridges and beg for coins, be able to get guns with no ID and no paperwork at all?? Or, illegal immigrants? Because that is what it sounds like you are promoting.

Edited by DieChecker

Back in the day you didnt have to get permission to get a gun. You had to individually lose that privilege by a judge. Weve come so far as a country.

• Like 1

universal back ground checks are no more an answer than outlawing all guns in both public and private hands .

the only reason to document who has a gun and universal registration is for confiscation and regulation of an unarmed population ... followed by govermental removal of surplus populations by any means .

Just as the only reason for getting a Drivers License is so the State can Track you? And can impound your car at will? And just as a business license is so that a business can be closed down at will and can be fined and taxed at will?

None of those has any other purpose, such as assuring Responsibility??? Come on now... You're walking into Conspiricy Land now.

• Like 1

You're walking into Conspiricy Land now.

Not according to Diane Frankenstein. She said it. Dont blame us for believing she meant it. Our politicians are suppose to be honest upstanding citizens and we are told they are truthful with us about everything from taxes to UFO's

Edited by AsteroidX

Yes and Feinstein is going to go all Hitler and assume power and take all our guns? Starting with those who have registered... And... she'll do it in a way so that Enforcement Officers show up at every person with a gun's house at the same time, to avoid anyone warning anyone, so she can get them ALL.... BWAH, HA, HA.....

Seriously, I am in favor of gun Ownership of anything less then a fully automatic weapon, but there comes a point of Believability with any statement, as to if it is possible or just rhetoric.

• Like 3

Back in the day you didnt have to get permission to get a gun. You had to individually lose that privilege by a judge. Weve come so far as a country.

If the contention you support is that gun rampages are the result of mentally unstable people getting their hands on guns, the only way to prevent that is re-designed background checks.

• Like 1

try to buy a gun .

Is not the second amendment ment to be used when your own government says in a german accent Papers plzzzz...... seems the right to bare arms has failed and the use of it is back peddeling.

• Like 1

Is not the second amendment ment to be used when your own government says in a german accent Papers plzzzz...... seems the right to bare arms has failed and the use of it is back peddeling.

I thought it was more of the, "Hey you all. Dig this hole.", "Now line up in front of the hole. Now don't move, or we'll kill your wives and children.", Blam! Blam! Blam! "NEXT!"

Is having to show your Driver's License to a Police Officer really enough to start a Revolution over?

• Like 1

try to buy a gun .

Yea thats the thing. If you are going to do better back ground checks, then you will also add to the list things other then whether you commited a felony to be denied your rights. Otherwise what is the point? Id like to see what exactly they are looking for before I could support such a thing. Will you be denied if you are on the terror watch list? Cause you could be on there for anything. And millions of people who are no terror threat at all are already on it. NTM you have no course of action to be removed from the list, and you cant even find out why you are on it. Same thing with the no fly list. And Biden already expressed a will to denie peoples rights who are on the no fly list.

If we were dealing with honest people who really just want to solve a problem, that would be one thing. But these people abuse every power they take. They will definitly denie many who shouldnt be denied at all.

• Like 1

Is having to show your Driver's License to a Police Officer really enough to start a Revolution over?

Im not sure thats part of this conversation.

Im not sure thats part of this conversation.

And not much different than what some try to imply.

Yes and Feinstein is going to go all Hitler and assume power and take all our guns?

No. She, along with like minded folks she works with will ban all guns one little step at a time. Same way they have taken every freedom. Why give her an inch? It wont solve anything. Question, why should gun owners trust people who say they dont want to ban guns, when they have openly stated they want to ban guns?

Just briefly, here is the only issue I have with "expanded background checks" in general.

IF they do this, then your "Second Amendment rights" becomes a privilege...just like a drivers license. The Constitution does not give the right to own a horse or a car or any form of transportation or the right to operate said transportation...so it is a privilege. It DOES give the right to keep and bear arms. This enhanced background check is turning your "right" into a privilege controlled by the state. Which right will next become a privilege? Freedom of Speech?

I don't have a solution to the problem. I do know that prohibition and controls have never stopped criminal activity. In fact, it often enhances it and increases it based on the money that can be made trafficking any form of contraband.

Stopping a father or grandfather from transferring a firearm to a family member is completely against the Constitutional rights to own and bear arms and will absolutely not fix the problem...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2