Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Transhumanism: a kind of religion of science

Karlis

“Post-persons” -- beings with a higher moral status than us (ie, homo sapiens) – is possible:

With genetic engineering, drugs, and other forms of cognitive enhancement, it is possible for us to create beings with intellects so advanced that to us they are literally unimaginable.

That would be a very bad idea. Why? Because, just as we humans use and sometimes destroy beings of lower moral status such as rocks and goats for our own benefit, post-persons could do the same to us. This might happen in “supreme emergencies”, when we would be reluctantly sacrificed for a greater good, or “supreme opportunities”, when we would be cheerfully sacrificed for a greater good.

Source

-=-=-

The world’s first openly transhumanist politician is serving in a national parliament.

Giuseppe Vatinno was elected in July for the Alleanza per l'Italia party in the Italian parliament.

New Scientist interviewed him about his philosophy. Vatinno explained that transhumanism “aims to free humanity from its biological limitations, overcoming natural evolution to make us more than human”.

Source

-=-=-

Transhumanism is 'a whole new can of worms', so to speak. What are your thoughts?

Please discuss,

Karlis

Edited by Karlis

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beany

• Karlis

• Ashotep

• Clarakore

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's the answer: genetic tinkering. Who gets to decide what constitutes higher morality? And who gets to become one of these people? Wouldn't this create a whole new class structure and power struggle? Sheesh, genetically modified corn is enough of an issue without adding genetically modified people.

Big mistake, they wouldn't have any use for us except for maybe menial labor.

Big mistake, they wouldn't have any use for us except for maybe menial labor.

They'd be in for a fight, because I don't do menial unless I want to. Wasn't this issue settled in Jurassic Park?

h+ has been discussed here but never in terms of posthumanity vs humanity. I suppose it was a matter of time before the topic was introduced here.

Mr. Walker is a huge fan of transhumanism, although unsure if he users that term. Would be most interested in reading his thoughts on this aspect.

I also have never seen Gattaca but didn't it also touch on this topic or one near to it?