Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Disney buys Lucasfilm for 4 Billion

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,895 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 31 October 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

There's no way that they can reboot the series using the original actors at this point.  It will be very interesting to see what comes though, and despite the naysaying of Golly Buster, I do care.  Star Wars was an iconic part of my childhood.
Mine too Boony, fact is I hope they respect the stature it has acquired amongst fans and don't make cheap "b" grade special effects tele-series out of the Star Wars Universe.  That would be annoying especially if they go all "Beverley Hills 90210 meets Darth Vader" aka: wet behind the ears young actors with raging hormones playing "heroes",  like they did with Stargate Universe's plot lines. :td: <_<

Edited by libstaK, 31 October 2012 - 03:31 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#17    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

As someone who's read like half of the gazillion Star Wars books that have been put out, and having been a Gaming Gm for a d20 Star Wars roleplaying game for like 4 years, I know a lot about this subject. Probably too much.

The article I read said that George was going to start writing scripts, which I hope means any old ones he has are tossed out.

My hope would be that the films are based on the adult life of Ben Skywalker, Lukes son, and Jacen Solo, Lukes Nephew, who becomes a Sith Lord and Emperor. Lots of young people involved. Lots of Sith. Lots of Jedi. Lots of battle scenes. Almost all the old characters are dead or retired by this point in the timeline. Maybe making camo appearances in wheel chairs or lying in a bed...

I hope it is not just more Luke, Leia, Han and Chewy.

Maybe just 3 movies about R2D2 and C3PO?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#18    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 31 October 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

As someone who's read like half of the gazillion Star Wars books that have been put out, and having been a Gaming Gm for a d20 Star Wars roleplaying game for like 4 years, I know a lot about this subject. Probably too much.

The article I read said that George was going to start writing scripts, which I hope means any old ones he has are tossed out.

My hope would be that the films are based on the adult life of Ben Skywalker, Lukes son, and Jacen Solo, Lukes Nephew, who becomes a Sith Lord and Emperor. Lots of young people involved. Lots of Sith. Lots of Jedi. Lots of battle scenes. Almost all the old characters are dead or retired by this point in the timeline. Maybe making camo appearances in wheel chairs or lying in a bed...

I hope it is not just more Luke, Leia, Han and Chewy.

Maybe just 3 movies about R2D2 and C3PO?

This is also exactly where I want the story to take off. Forget about the fact they could use the same actors for a second (which would be great), the Jacen story was far more epic than any other in the entire series (I haven't read the Thrawn Trilogy though).

Can't believe I need to wait another year for the next in the timeline... :(

#19    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostGolly Buster, on 31 October 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Episodes 7, 8 and 9 - the films George Lucas said weren't going to happen because he originally envisaged the series to be six movies despite saying back in the late 70s or early 80s that it was meant to be nine films, after having previously said that it was only meant to be three. Then six. Then nine.

Lucas is completely full of **** of course - he makes this crap up as he goes despite trying to project an image of himself as some master visionary.

What will this sale mean for the Star Wars TV series that has been in development for several years?

More importantly - who cares?????? :D
Back in the day I recall the Journal of the Whills was originally 12 parts, then 9... I doubt the 'missing parts' will see the light of day, I guess it'll be new franchise stories.
Mind you, I did have a dream last week where I was on set as a Sith Lord opposite a middle-age Ewan McGregor Obi Wan - so that must be episode 3.5-ish

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#20    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,037 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 30 October 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

this may be a good thing - Disney does make good films aimed squarely at the family market. And they'll hire a director not afraid tosay "George, piss off".
but it shouldn't be about the flaming family market! The "family market" is what gave us Jar Jar bloody Binks! The family market will give us Disney tweeness and cutesiness. Lucas got away with cutsiness in the form of R2D2 originally, but look what happened when he tried to go for the family market!  It should be squarely about sci fi geeks!

Edited by 747400, 31 October 2012 - 11:39 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#21    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,145 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostGolly Buster, on 31 October 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Episodes 7, 8 and 9 - the films George Lucas said weren't going to happen because he originally envisaged the series to be six movies despite saying back in the late 70s or early 80s that it was meant to be nine films, after having previously said that it was only meant to be three. Then six. Then nine.
Sounds like Lucas needs to get himself into politics. :D

I just hope that if Disney ends up making more Star Wars films that they don't end up all Goofy.

Edited by BiffSplitkins, 31 October 2012 - 11:55 AM.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#22    WGH

WGH

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

• Today is tomorrows yesterday, and yesterdays tomorrow.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 31 October 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

I just hope that if Disney ends up making more Star Wars films that they don't end up all Goofy.

That was my worry when I first heard the news.

#23    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

View Post747400, on 31 October 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

but it shouldn't be about the flaming family market! The "family market" is what gave us Jar Jar bloody Binks! The family market will give us Disney tweeness and cutesiness. Lucas got away with cutsiness in the form of R2D2 originally, but look what happened when he tried to go for the family market!  It should be squarely about sci fi geeks!

I wouldn't worry too much about cuteness. Disney have shown that they can make good films, without silly gimmicks. Have you seen John Carter? I thought that film was great. One of the best sci fi films I've seen in a very long time.

#24    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,733 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 31 October 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I wouldn't worry too much about cuteness. Disney have shown that they can make good films, without silly gimmicks. Have you seen John Carter? I thought that film was great. One of the best sci fi films I've seen in a very long time.

John Carter = Excellent movie - crappy marketing...

#25    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,828 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

There was another story out today saying that an inside source has confirmed that the new films will NOT be the Thrawn Trilogy. They said they will be all new stories and that Disney is looking to take an Avengers style approach, with spin off films for characters.

http://www.comicbook...1/news/?a=69464

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#26    MysteryMike

MysteryMike

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

• Just a average 21 year old guy with a creative mind.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

first they bought marvel and now Star Wars. What's next? Is Disney going to buy Stephen King's books?

My Youtube Account - http://www.youtube.c...r/Dinospikester

My Deviantart Account - http://mikespikester11.deviantart.com/

My Fanfiction.net Account - http://www.fanfictio...2/CrossoverMike

#27    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 31 October 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Back in the day I recall the Journal of the Whills was originally 12 parts, then 9... I doubt the 'missing parts' will see the light of day, I guess it'll be new franchise stories.
Mind you, I did have a dream last week where I was on set as a Sith Lord opposite a middle-age Ewan McGregor Obi Wan - so that must be episode 3.5-ish
There was supposed to be a Live Action PV series that was supposed to be between 3 and 4. But that was supposed to have happened like 3 years ago, so apparently that is dead. If not dead then with the sale of the rights, I'd think it would at least be very On Hold.

Edit: Or, perhaps this TV series is going to be crunched together to make 3 movies??

In 2005, George Lucas announced plans for a live-action television series set between the two Star Wars trilogies. The series will not bridge the Skywalker saga but instead explore criminal and political power struggles in the aftermath of the fall of the Republic.

According to Lucas, the series is on hold awaiting advances in technology and reductions in prices. Rick McCallum, the Star Wars and Red Tails producer involved with the project, indicated in 2011 that it would be at least another "three or four years".
Star Wars live-action TV series

Edited by DieChecker, 31 October 2012 - 07:02 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#28    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,828 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Looks like Entertainment Weekly got a quick interview with Mark Hamill. It would seem that he and Carrie Fisher met with Lucas last August and discussed episodes 7,8 and 9.

http://www.comicbook...1/news/?a=69501

Entertainment Weekly was able to nab a quick interview with Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill. When asked about Disney purchasing LucasFilm, Hamill says he was caught off guard like all of us. But the other news that there would be future Star Wars films was not a surprise to him at all. Mark reveals to EW that he and Carrie Fisher met with the bearded Jedi, George Lucas, just this past summer. During this meeting Lucas let them in on a secret, plans were already in motion to make Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.
Read more at http://www.comicbook...V4mgAJQZmxDR.99

Could they even pull this off?

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#29    Golly Buster

Golly Buster

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 01 November 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

Looks like Entertainment Weekly got a quick interview with Mark Hamill. It would seem that he and Carrie Fisher met with Lucas last August and discussed episodes 7,8 and 9.

Sounds like it will be set in a time when Han is no longer around.

Posted Image

#30    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,828 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostGolly Buster, on 01 November 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

Sounds like it will be set in a time when Han is no longer around.

Posted Image

If they bring back Hamill and Fisher, they damn well better get Ford, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users