Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

schoolchildren could swear allegiance to

chemical-licker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Schoolchildren could swear allegiance to Queen under new 'Britishness' plans

By MATTHEW HICKLEY - More by this author » Last updated at 17:38pm on 9th March 2008 linked-image Comments (9)

linked-imageAllegiance oath: Queen Elizabeth II

Britain's schoolchildren could be encouraged to join in citizenship ceremonies and swear allegiance to the Queen under proposals to be published by ministers tomorrow.

A review of UK citizenship by former Attorney General Lord Goldsmith is expected to call for a greater role for youngsters in ceremonies to encourage them to understand and embrace 'Britishness.'

The study, commissioned by Gordon Brown last year, is also expected to recommend a major overhaul of Britain ancient and neglected treason laws.

Lord Goldsmith, who as the Government's chief legal advisory was at the centre of the controversy over the 2003 Iraq invasion, left office along with Tony Blair last summer and was asked to carry out a wide-ranging review of citizenship is treated in the UK.

Citizenship ceremonies for immigrants were introduced four years ago, and are mostly held in local town halls.

The new study is intended to rekindle enthusiasm for that initiative and to give citizenship itself a higher profile in British life.

Lord Goldsmith is expected to call for greater involvement for schools - including holding citizenship ceremonies for adults in school halls and encouraging pupils to take part, either providing readings or music or joining in oaths of allegiance.

Alternatively, citizenship events could be incorporated into citizenship classes, which are already part of the national curriculum.

However the review is likely to stop short of recommending that Britain copy the American custom, where school pupils swear allegiance to the U.S. flag each day with their right hand held over their heart.

Scroll down for more...

steve winn will be happy :lol:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chemical-licker

• stevewinn

• Papaver

• questionmark

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the total still stand during the anthem and the whole nine yards? Sure would be a touristic novelty...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Schoolchildren could swear allegiance to Queen under new 'Britishness' plans

By MATTHEW HICKLEY - More by this author » Last updated at 17:38pm on 9th March 2008 linked-image Comments (9)

linked-imageAllegiance oath: Queen Elizabeth II

Britain's schoolchildren could be encouraged to join in citizenship ceremonies and swear allegiance to the Queen under proposals to be published by ministers tomorrow.

A review of UK citizenship by former Attorney General Lord Goldsmith is expected to call for a greater role for youngsters in ceremonies to encourage them to understand and embrace 'Britishness.'

The study, commissioned by Gordon Brown last year, is also expected to recommend a major overhaul of Britain ancient and neglected treason laws.

Lord Goldsmith, who as the Government's chief legal advisory was at the centre of the controversy over the 2003 Iraq invasion, left office along with Tony Blair last summer and was asked to carry out a wide-ranging review of citizenship is treated in the UK.

Citizenship ceremonies for immigrants were introduced four years ago, and are mostly held in local town halls.

The new study is intended to rekindle enthusiasm for that initiative and to give citizenship itself a higher profile in British life.

Lord Goldsmith is expected to call for greater involvement for schools - including holding citizenship ceremonies for adults in school halls and encouraging pupils to take part, either providing readings or music or joining in oaths of allegiance.

Alternatively, citizenship events could be incorporated into citizenship classes, which are already part of the national curriculum.

However the review is likely to stop short of recommending that Britain copy the American custom, where school pupils swear allegiance to the U.S. flag each day with their right hand held over their heart.

Scroll down for more...

steve winn will be happy :lol:

you know me too well, Chem, i think its a great idea, all we need now is to get the flag out, because lets face it over the last few years the flag has more or less been stolen by the far right party,

i think more is needed to be done, than just swearing allegiance, we need to try and turn the country around and stop Britons leaving, every single day 700 Britons leave and make no mistake about it, its white Britons who are leaving, and the vast majority feel they no longer have a future amd feel out of place in their own country and it mainly comes down to immigration look at the countries they're heading to, Australia, New Zealand. Spain, America.

did anyone watch BBC 2's white season last night, "rivers of blood" was Enoch powell right, Labour ****ed us over in the 50/60's with immigration and have done the same thing in the last 11 years, you can watch it here, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00...ml?src=ip_potpw

spot the white person, http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...h&plindex=0

lets make no mistake about it, this drumming down of "britishness" has nothing to do with flag waving or the queen its all to do with that subject everyone but the few are sh** scared to discuss Immigration, in case they get called a racist

I had to swear allegiance to the queen when i joined the army but to tell the truth, it doesn't mean jack sh** to me

Allegiance and loyalties to a country are made in different ways but saying a bunch of words written on a paper is not one of them

I had to swear allegiance to the queen when i joined the army but to tell the truth, it doesn't mean jack sh** to me

Allegiance and loyalties to a country are made in different ways but saying a bunch of words written on a paper is not one of them

kinda like marriage, man and woman go through this marriage thingy sign a bit of paper and you know that in 10 years time its a divorce. meaningless :D

I am anti-monarchy and would refuse to swear allegience to the Queen. However I hold the principles of contributing to and respecting the society in which I live and would find it more appropriate to swear allegience to my fellow countrymen and women, to society.

I am loyal to my society but not to a figurehead who holds title by inheritance. I am loyal to those who pay their taxes like I do, not the Monarch of any country. As the Queen of England now pays her taxes like the rest of us she would be included in my loyalty to society but only as an equal to everybody else.

Everyone who has served in HM Forces swears allegiance to the Crown. Not as a persona, but as the Head of State. this is not about swearing allegiance to the Royal Family. Whether King or Queen, you are swearing allegiance to the Highest Office in the UK.

That means you can be a republican, yet still uphold the Office of State in your duties. Many serving members of HM Forces are also republican, I myself am (although not actively serving any more), and do not, indeed did not, have a crisis of conscience over it.

Papaver: I cant help noticing that you are from Guernsey? So your tax burden is much less than the UK Tax burden in general...

Stevewinn: in many respects what you said about people moving from England is down to immigration, then I would have to agree. I no longer recognise my country of birth, it has changed out of all proportion largely as a result of immigration. But, not that this is the fault of the immigrants, far from it, the hindus and Sikhs I respect enormously and thoroughly enjoy attending the festival of Ede, or Light (spelt wrong I think) every year, no, the problem is the vocal minority who expect UK to change their rules to fit their preferred way of life, and 40 years of successive Governments willing to acquiesce to their demands.

Spain is also headed in this direction, and now the backlash is building over loss of national identity.

Edited by keithisco

Spot on Dowdy.I too done the biz.Those self serving reptiles have never earn,t my respect.

Papaver: I cant help noticing that you are from Guernsey? So your tax burden is much less than the UK Tax burden in general...

Our taxes stay on island and are not paid to the UK although we do pay a lump sum yearly to the Crown for defence as we are what is classed as a Crown Dependency. We have our own Government and although we vote it is in fact a farce and we do not really have any say in our own government but that's a whole other subject ;-).

People also have the impression that we are are rich. That may be true for those high up in the Finance and business circles there is a huge divide between those people and folk like myself, a school caretaker. House prices and rents cripple people like myself. I have a small two bedroom town house. It cost me and my wife £230,000 to buy. We needed a 30 year mortgage to be able to borrow that amount. The repayments on that amount are £1,500 pcm and my take home wage is £1200 pcm. My wife's income makes up the shortfall and living expenses.

I wanted to say this because people have the impression we are all tax dodging rich people which is not the case for the averge Guernsey born person like myself.

The upside is the fantastic quality of life we have here and that is what keeps us here. Money doesn't buy you everything.

Everyone who has served in HM Forces swears allegiance to the Crown. Not as a persona, but as the Head of State. this is not about swearing allegiance to the Royal Family. Whether King or Queen, you are swearing allegiance to the Highest Office in the UK.

That means you can be a republican, yet still uphold the Office of State in your duties. Many serving members of HM Forces are also republican, I myself am (although not actively serving any more), and do not, indeed did not, have a crisis of conscience over it.

Stevewinn: in many respects what you said about people moving from England is down to immigration, then I would have to agree. I no longer recognise my country of birth, it has changed out of all proportion largely as a result of immigration. But, not that this is the fault of the immigrants, far from it, the hindus and Sikhs I respect enormously and thoroughly enjoy attending the festival of Ede, or Light (spelt wrong I think) every year, no, the problem is the vocal minority who expect UK to change their rules to fit their preferred way of life, and 40 years of successive Governments willing to acquiesce to their demands.

Spain is also headed in this direction, and now the backlash is building over loss of national identity.

great post keith, are you able to watch BBC iPlayer?