Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Would you visit North Korea?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Hermit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 04 March 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Looking up the travel company offering these trips, they also offer trips to Chernobyl. Wouldn't wanna go there either, myself.

actually i would be very interested in a short trip there, nothing more than a day or two though but still thatd be a sight.

#17    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 04 March 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

actually i would be very interested in a short trip there, nothing more than a day or two though but still thatd be a sight.
I can kind of see the attraction in that place, and I don't see there being anything morally dubious about going as long as the proper respect is shown (as I'm sure you would!). Just not for me, that one.

As for NK though, even if you got to see citizens of Pyongyang going about their business (whatever that is), from everything I've read about NK the only people living in the city are privileged anyway, so it wouldn't exactly be a look in to the life of the average North Korean. So I can't really see the point in paying to be shown exactly what they want you to see.
I did find the pictures of the DMZ from the website I linked to in my OP interesting, though. I did not know that in places the border was nothing more than a curb!

Posted Image

#18    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,790 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Why go to NK when you might not even come out?

#19    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postpallidin, on 04 March 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

I have no desire to visit that oppressive, opium smoking/trafficking regime.
You forgot cannibal ridden ,war mongering and delusionally power hungry .

Miss me?

#20    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 04 March 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

If you're in south Korea ,you can do a day trip to the border ,and look at the heavily armed guards thru the windows .
It is actually a touristy thing to do in SK.
That is close enough for me .

Miss me?

#21    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,555 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Oh, for sure, it'd be fascinating. Just as long as I could get there on Air Koryo.

In 2012, Air Koryo resumed services to Kuala Lumpur along with its expansion into Harbin, China. [11] [12] In the 2012, the carrier also launched its new travel package via the Koryo Tours agency, "aviation enthusiast" tours which offered the chance to fly on every variety of Air Koryo aircraft within North Korea on board the Il-76, Mil-17, An-24, Tu-134 and Tu-154. The international services were operated by inbound and out bound Tu-204 or Il-62.

:tsu:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#22    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,283 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Maybe to see the world's ugliest hotel. I would be scared to stay overnight since it's been a pigeon coop all of these years.
Posted Image

I probably wouldn't go anyway because it would be very depressing to me. No one should have such an oppressive government.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#23    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostQueen in the North, on 04 March 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Looking up the travel company offering these trips, they also offer trips to Chernobyl. Wouldn't wanna go there either, myself.
I totally agree.
Who wants an uranium rod up your butt as a souvenir.
And that's if your very lucky what with all those pesky isotopes.
If your really,really unfortunate you might turn into a mutant right before your spouse's eyes.
So in comparison North Korea looks like a stroll in the park despite their nuclear capabilities.
What's next? A package holiday to Venus?

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#24    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

In a heart beat, I'd even to try to work with the Kim as an advisor and try to get him to change his ways and work him from the inside out.

Horribly idealistic considering I can't even speak the language, or have the social status to even get close enough. Even worse foresight since if I became famous I'd be linked to this name and he'd see it then do some horrible execution to show what he does to spies.

You know what I think, I'll avoid NK for the time being. :P

#25    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,194 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'd never pass up an opportunity to vist any place. Would I go out of my way to pay for and go there on purpose? Hmmm, probably not, there are other places I'd like to see first. However, if a business trip arose, or a friend wanted a travel partner, or something specific like that came up... yes, I would go. I would want to see it with my own eyes even knowing that what I was being shown wasn't necessarily the "truth".

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#26    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,816 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

View Postpallidin, on 04 March 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

I have no desire to visit that oppressive, opium smoking/trafficking regime.

yep, all those drugs, I would not be interested in any trips they are offering.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#27    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,810 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

You'd be better off going to Slough......It's a shorter journey and the tourist attractions are about the same as Pyong Yang!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#28    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,475 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 05 March 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

I'd never pass up an opportunity to vist any place. Would I go out of my way to pay for and go there on purpose? Hmmm, probably not, there are other places I'd like to see first. However, if a business trip arose, or a friend wanted a travel partner, or something specific like that came up... yes, I would go. I would want to see it with my own eyes even knowing that what I was being shown wasn't necessarily the "truth".

Aye, you can still get a feeling of just what extent they are going to, to keep things hidden from you, as well as a good look on their attitutes in general. It's not something you can just read in the newspapers, not usually.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#29    Really Swell

Really Swell

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

• "When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you."

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

I say good, let the former degenerate b-ball player move to North Korea if he likes it so much. It will just mean one less asshole in my country.

And to answer the original question, no.

#30    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,555 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostReally Swell, on 06 March 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

I say good, let the former degenerate b-ball player move to North Korea if he likes it so much. It will just mean one less asshole in my country.

And to answer the original question, no.
Who are you talking about?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users