Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama Set to Use His Imperial Pen Again

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,077 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 January 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Because you can't get people away from their habits. Anybody with 3 functioning brain cells could have told you that if people can't buy booze they will make their own, smuggle it or buy it from those who make their own or smuggle it.  The German imperative ("what is not allowed cannot be happening") only works in Germany (in very few cases). And many more people use booze than drugs, and drugs already create a gigantic crime problem.

I personally think that you'll see a similar issue with a ban on assault rifles, if that's enacted. If you're already at the stage that you believe you require one for your safety, then you're not going to want to give it up. With their availability at both borders, any outright ban will just increase criminal activity.

The gun genie is already out of the bottle. You'll never get it back in. The only thing you can do is make them essentially obsolete.

If we want to protect children from guns, then we should throw research money at nanotechnology, to create nano swarms on school premises that destroy bullets when fired.

Not to mention the ridiculous military advantage it would give to the country that first invented it...

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

#17    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,286 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostTiggs, on 10 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

I personally think that you'll see a similar issue with a ban on assault rifles, if that's enacted. If you're already at the stage that you believe you require one for your safety, then you're not going to want to give it up. With their availability at both borders, any outright ban will just increase criminal activity.

The gun genie is already out of the bottle. You'll never get it back in. The only thing you can do is make them essentially obsolete.

If we want to protect children from guns, then we should throw research money at nanotechnology, to create nano swarms on school premises that destroy bullets when fired.

Not to mention the ridiculous military advantage it would give to the country that first invented it...

Naturally banning this or that type of weapon leads nowhere, the only thing that does is to hold people responsible for the damage their guns do, whether they have done it themselves or carelessly contributed to it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#18    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,077 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 January 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

Naturally banning this or that type of weapon leads nowhere, the only thing that does is to hold people responsible for the damage their guns do, whether they have done it themselves or carelessly contributed to it.

I find it interesting that guns aren't registered in the same way that cars are, but as always - things out here vary wildly from state to state.

While I think standardizing registration requirements would be a good thing (as well as mandatory reporting when they go missing) - guns are commonplace enough that anyone who wants one will be able to steal one. If you're at the mental stage where you're about to go on a mass murdering rampage, then adding a couple more to the body count up front in order to acquire those weapons isn't going to be a showstopper, per se.

If you're using your fully loaded assault rifle to prop open your front door, then, sure. You're kind of asking for trouble. That's like leaving the alcohol cabinet unlocked while you go away for a week and leave your teenage son to look after the house.

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

#19    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,286 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostTiggs, on 10 January 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

I find it interesting that guns aren't registered in the same way that cars are, but as always - things out here vary wildly from state to state.

While I think standardizing registration requirements would be a good thing (as well as mandatory reporting when they go missing) - guns are commonplace enough that anyone who wants one will be able to steal one. If you're at the mental stage where you're about to go on a mass murdering rampage, then adding a couple more to the body count up front in order to acquire those weapons isn't going to be a showstopper, per se.

If you're using your fully loaded assault rifle to prop open your front door, then, sure. You're kind of asking for trouble. That's like leaving the alcohol cabinet unlocked while you go away for a week and leave your teenage son to look after the house.

You would be surprised where all you can find guns in any "amateur gunslinger's" home. Under the pillow is just the most obvious place.

Guns, like all dangerous implements, should be somewhere it is difficult to get at when not under the control of the owner. And failing to do so should at least make the owner liable to the pecuniary damage caused.

Edit: and if the Australian experience is anything to go by, since mandatory registration is required the gun thefts have been reduced to 1/3.

Edited by questionmark, 10 January 2013 - 04:20 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#20    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,737 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 January 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Edit: and if the Australian experience is anything to go by, since mandatory registration is required the gun thefts have been reduced to 1/3.
no s,,t lol, they have 1\100 of guns they have before, and only 1\3 of thefts, that is very bad.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#21    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,440 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 January 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Yes, the 18th amendment was rendered ineffective by Roosevelt in 1933, later that same year the 21th amendment repealed the 18th. If you now wonder what the 18th was about: It was about banning alcohol in the US.
Prohibition doesn't work.  

How much proof does one need?

Edited by Yamato, 11 January 2013 - 01:10 AM.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#22    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,440 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

You would be surprised where all you can find guns in any "amateur gunslinger's" home. Under the pillow is just the most obvious place.

Guns, like all dangerous implements, should be somewhere it is difficult to get at when not under the control of the owner. And failing to do so should at least make the owner liable to the pecuniary damage caused.

What evidence do you have for this latest BS stereotype of the day today? Who's going to come in our homes and enforce where "difficult" is for gun owners to put their guns now?    We're going to have gun free zones in our houses now?

Is that what matters today in the daily spin room?  Where the "amateurs" keep their guns in their house?   Because that's not what you've been whining about for weeks on end already.

Edited by Yamato, 11 January 2013 - 12:45 AM.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#23    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,440 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

View PostTiggs, on 10 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

The country?  How about the scientist?  How about the individual?   People invent things, not countries.   Though if you can't leave your country on pain of death I suppose that nationalist perspective is easy enough.   What ridiculous military advantages have caused disarmament in the past?    If I make a time machine that can go back in time and prevent hundreds of millions of human deaths by democide, imagine the ridiculous advantage that would create for the sad disarmed people not to be slaughtered by their own military.  It's governments that pour their time and energy into building a better kind of gun.  It's war that drives the technology of mass death.  Individuals want to use their phones and computers and find someone to love.  They're not interested in finding people to have bureaucratic disagreements with so they can move their giant metal machines into their land to kill them.

I actually do want to protect children from guns.  Not just some children from American civil society.   Not just some children that we're in close enough proximity to, to be in our faces enough to give a damn about.

#24    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Still cant have my guns :gun:

#25    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,303 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

So basically, if the government says "high powered assault weapons are now illegal" you'll happily go to gaol?
I'm impressed by your dedication.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#26    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,077 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostYamato, on 11 January 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

The country?  How about the scientist?  How about the individual?

As usual, you have me mistaken with someone that actually cares about your opinion.

HERE
Posted Image

#27    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

So how come when I would stay at my grandparents house and sleep alone in a room with a gun closet, or play in a living room that always had a loaded rifle, I never touched the guns? Children who play COD now a days, who are babysat by the gory violence are more than likely to pick up those guns than the past me. Do you want to know the difference between a kid version of me and a kid today?

I was educated about guns and respected them.

Kids today play COD and think a gun is a toy because they play with them for hours on end in a world that is detached from consequences.

If that is true, then how is education about guns inherently bad if they introduce and reinforce reality to children?

Want to know why kids are violent? It's a very simple cycle.

They get zonked out on medication for ADD because all they do is play gun-related video games and watch violent media; destroying their ability to focus, requiring they get on Adderall. They play video games so much and focus on media so much they become recluse and get anxiety in social situations, which leads to bullying from other kids that think they're weird - which leads to depression and being put on Zoloft. Then they go retreating to their comfort zones; violent video games and media - a form of escapism. And since every one in the school systems took the liberal approach of "everyone's a winner" instead of building character, these kids without balls don't know how to handle bullying or social situations in the terms of reality - not that they're in it to begin with.

Then they get chemical imbalances from all their medication and freaking snap on the people who bully them.

I know this because I was in therapy from age 11 onwards, I was socially anxious, I was bullied for years, and I played violent FPS.

I know the pattern and how it works.

It took me many years to get out of it. But you know what helped my self-realization?

My education about guns as a child and the reality that was reinforced into me.

Edited by Eonwe, 11 January 2013 - 06:08 AM.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#28    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,440 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostTiggs, on 11 January 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

As usual, you have me mistaken with someone that actually cares about your opinion.
Those were questions, not opinions.

#29    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,440 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 11 January 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

So basically, if the government says "high powered assault weapons are now illegal" you'll happily go to gaol?
I'm impressed by your dedication.

We'll say, come and take them Obama.

Posted Image

The Land of the Free is now the biggest prison population on the planet.  Maybe we should all sing the Star Spangled Banner from now on as an historical piece?  The government can't afford to pay for the prisoners it's got already.  What's it going to do?  Build giant new cages and stuff them with people who owned the wrong firearm?   Oh there are those who would like that.

#30    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,440 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

View PostEonwe, on 11 January 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

So how come when I would stay at my grandparents house and sleep alone in a room with a gun closet, or play in a living room that always had a loaded rifle, I never touched the guns? Children who play COD now a days, who are babysat by the gory violence are more than likely to pick up those guns than the past me. Do you want to know the difference between a kid version of me and a kid today?

I was educated about guns and respected them.

Kids today play COD and think a gun is a toy because they play with them for hours on end in a world that is detached from consequences.

If that is true, then how is education about guns inherently bad if they introduce and reinforce reality to children?

Want to know why kids are violent? It's a very simple cycle.

They get zonked out on medication for ADD because all they do is play gun-related video games and watch violent media; destroying their ability to focus, requiring they get on Adderall. They play video games so much and focus on media so much they become recluse and get anxiety in social situations, which leads to bullying from other kids that think they're weird - which leads to depression and being put on Zoloft. Then they go retreating to their comfort zones; violent video games and media - a form of escapism. And since every one in the school systems took the liberal approach of "everyone's a winner" instead of building character, these kids without balls don't know how to handle bullying or social situations in the terms of reality - not that they're in it to begin with.

Then they get chemical imbalances from all their medication and freaking snap on the people who bully them.

I know this because I was in therapy from age 11 onwards, I was socially anxious, I was bullied for years, and I played violent FPS.

I know the pattern and how it works.

It took me many years to get out of it. But you know what helped my self-realization?

My education about guns as a child and the reality that was reinforced into me.
My uncle told me how when he was in high school, he and his friends would bring guns to school and they would get them out and discuss them with teachers in the parking lot and they didn't get in trouble because it wasn't any trouble, and there weren't paranoid/panic attacks from the other students or other faculty.  Since it's the guns that have become so vilified in this new age of protectionism at all costs, they must be hidden away from view at all times unless someone is wearing the right colored uniform and collecting the right paycheck.   It was a simpler time back then I suppose.   There was nothing to hide and no reason to hide it, kids could discuss responsible gun safety and share a common hobby/interest with their teachers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users