Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did McCain Diss Spain?

Fluffybunny

Couldnt he find a more delicate way to get a hint as to who they were talking about? It just reminds me of the kid in school that got asked a question while dozing and had to give a generic answer...At least sarah Palin had the sense enough to ask Charles Gibson "In what aspect" in regards to his bush doctrine question in order to try and get a better idea of what was going on before trying to answer...

Good grief...

From Time.com:

You gotta feel for José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero. Here the Spanish prime minister is only four months from an end to his government's strained relations with that of President George W. Bush and blam! — along comes John McCain to suggest the next four years might not be any better. During an interview in Miami earlier this week with Spanish-language station Union Radio, a reporter asked McCain whether, if elected, he would receive Zapatero in the White House. McCain answered, "Honestly, I have to analyze our relationships, situations, and priorities, but I can assure you that I will establish closer relationships with our friends, and I will stand up to those who want to harm the United States."

Ouch. The question about Zapatero, clearly framed by the reporter as a question about Spain, came after inquiries on Venezuela, Bolivia, and Cuba. As a result, much of the Spanish press has decided that the Republican candidate, who hails himself as the experienced foreign policy choice in this election, confused Spain — a NATO member and key ally in the fight against terrorism — with one of those troublesome Latin American states. That was certainly the interviewer's impression, for she followed up with a gentle reminder that Spain was a country in Europe. As Spanish newspaper El País put it, "In the best-case scenario, [his answer] demonstrates his ignorance with respect to Zapatero."

Of course, there's a worse-case scenario: that McCain would, if elected, maintain his predecessor's chilly relationship with Spain. Spaniards may, on the whole, revile American politics and American comida de basura (junk food), but they still tend to measure their prime minister's international worth by the esteem in which the U.S. president holds him. And so, for the past four years, the Spanish prime minister has tried, ever so earnestly, to prove that he's one of the big boys. At every international summit he has tried to maneuver himself into position for a photograph with Bush. The press has breathlessly reported on every perfunctory exchange the two have had. And the much-longed-for invitation to the White House — let alone to a certain ranch in Texas — has been the object of countless pages of speculation. But for all the aspiration, Zapatero has never managed to achieve anything like that famous 2003 photo of his predecessor, José María Aznar in the Azores looking like he just got invited to the cool kids' party.

Of course, the fact that the cool kids' party happened to be taking place in Iraq explains a lot of the distance between the two current leaders: upon taking office in April 2004, Zapatero immediately pulled Spanish troops out of "the alliance of the willing." Which is one of the ironies of this situation — that Spain can so strongly support a foreign policy opposed to Bush doctrine (whatever that is), while so strongly hoping for a show of respect from Washington. On Thursday, Spanish newspaper ABC's regret was palpable when it lamented that "the coldness between the governments of the U.S. and Spain could continue if the Republican candidate John McCain reaches the White House. "

As for Zapatero himself, the prime minister is apparently taking this latest attack to his ego with characteristic equilibrium. McCain may not know who Spain's leader is, but Zapatero promised to work with the new administration "whatever it is."

rest of article

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• questionmark

• Fluffybunny

• SilverCougar

As I said: McCain is Dubya V2.0, he does not know the difference between Bolivia and Spain either...let alone the name of the current prez there...

"Honestly, I have to analyze our relationships, situations, and priorities, but I can assure you that I will establish closer relationships with our friends, and I will stand up to those who want to harm the United States."[/i]

Is Spain a friend of the USA? YES, and we all know that.! So he will establish closer relation.

I don't see really any issues here except manufacturing trash and mud throwing.

In my line of work we carry a notepad with important information that we may need to refer to(Medications, heart rhythms)...we study it from time to time when times are slow.

One would think that if you were running for one of the most powerful positions in the world, you might do a bit of homework about the people you will be working with and around...the political systems...those kinds of things...

In my line of work we carry a notepad with important information that we may need to refer to(Medications, heart rhythms)...we study it from time to time when times are slow.

One would think that if you were running for one of the most powerful positions in the world, you might do a bit of homework about the people you will be working with and around...the political systems...those kinds of things...

Why? Dubya has proven that you can become the most powerful man in the world knowing zilch.... and after proving that even get reelected.

Why? Dubya has proven that you can become the most powerful man in the world knowing zilch.... and after proving that even get reelected.

Is that why you folks nominated a community organizer?

I nominated nobody...but due to a lack of brain were Reps are I could switch to Dems permanently.

Because being a community organiser and working with a community to better it is such a *horrible* thing.. since apparently being president means you don't have to worry about organising a community and making it..better...oh wait.. it does!

Part of the job also requires you to make relations work with other communities and atleast knowing the names of those that lead them. If you don't even know the name of the guy who runs the country you were just asked about.. and a country that's one of our allies..

Is Spain a friend of the USA? YES, and we all know that.!

Perhaps you should tell the Bush administration that. They don't seem to agree.

And Bush III isn't going to be any different.

am not surprised McCain is confused, i was listening to BBC world on the Radio and i was shocked to learn that 90% of Americans dont hold a passport, and Palin has just had to apply for one because shes never held a passport in her life? then the BBC presenter stated the majority of Americans when questioned couldnt even name the British prime minister, or identify countries on the world map, so if this is true, Mc'Cain and palin seem to represent the majority of US citizens,

myself personally i refuse to believe the above is true, but its what the BBC say, so,...........

am not surprised McCain is confused, i was listening to BBC world on the Radio and i was shocked to learn that 90% of Americans dont hold a passport, and Palin has just had to apply for one because shes never held a passport in her life? then the BBC presenter stated the majority of Americans when questioned couldnt even name the British prime minister, or identify countries on the world map, so if this is true, Mc'Cain and palin seem to represent the majority of US citizens,

myself personally i refuse to believe the above is true, but its what the BBC say, so,...........

If you think that is bad, read the statistics about how many Americans are capable of finding the USA on a map ... a majority supposes it where Russia is, 'cause it is the biggest country.

Having said that, every healthy society can deal with under-informed, undereducated and under-performers ... but I don't think they have to be voted in the highest office available.

*luffs her passport*

Actually you'll find that the majority of Americans that don't have one is because they can't afford to travel abroad. So why plunk down cash for a passport they'll never likely use aside to maybe get into canada or mexico, or as just another piece of ID?

AND! To be fair to those who don't know the British PM.. They have an odd habbit of changeing that alot. Just got used to Blair.. then it's Gordon Brown! (easy name to remember actually.. I like that!)

Who is this "you folks" that you keep referring to?

Because being a community organiser and working with a community to better it is such a *horrible* thing.. since apparently being president means you don't have to worry about organising a community and making it..better...oh wait.. it does!

When it gets to the Federal level, then no way it is a community anymore or a village as Hillary tried unsucessfully to promote.

Part of the job also requires you to make relations work with other communities and at least knowing the names of those that lead them. If you don't even know the name of the guy who runs the country you were just asked about.. and a country that's one of our allies..

Do you think all the past President actually knows all the world leaders by names?

Ya know, I would say that there are probably alot of Europeans that havent been to North America, yet have a passport. Could it be because the countries are so small over there that you need one for a Sunday drive? j/k but thats about it. Until very recently, in fact I think it may still be so, we here in the US could go to Mexico or Canada without a passport so on an average Americans vacation, you could go to the tropics like Hawaii or Mexico or the far north like Canada or Alaska.. no passport needed.

I dont think McCain is confused, he probably actually meant that. If Spain pulled out of the coalition, they arent exactly being friendly given they are supposed to be our ally. They should be after AlQueda and all terror after what they went through but aparently they would rather sit it out. Its silly to just assume McCain didnt know who he was talking about.

Edited by Gustavo

Perhaps you should tell the Bush administration that. They don't seem to agree.

And Bush III isn't going to be any different.

It is wrong for you to assume that allies will always agree on every issues and if not they are no longer good friends.

Edited by AROCES

AND! To be fair to those who don't know the British PM.. They have an odd habbit of changeing that alot. Just got used to Blair.. then it's Gordon Brown! (easy name to remember actually.. I like that!)

Change a lot? Since 1970 the UK has had 7 PMs.

Edward Heath '70-'74

Harold Wilson '74-'76

James Callaghan '76-'79

Margaret Thatcher '79-'90

John Major '90-'97

Tony Blair and '97-'07

Gorden Brown '07-Hopefully anytime soon

Since 1970 the USA has had 7 Presidents

Nixon

Ford

Carter

Reagan

Bush Snr.

Clinton

Bush Jnr.

Your Presidents change just as much as our PMs and Margeret Thatcher, during her time at No. 10 dealt with 3 different Presidents

Change a lot? Since 1970 the UK has had 7 PMs.

Edward Heath '70-'74

Harold Wilson '74-'76

James Callaghan '76-'79

Margaret Thatcher '79-'90

John Major '90-'97

Tony Blair and '97-'07

Gorden Brown '07-Hopefully anytime soon

Since 1970 the USA has had 7 Presidents

Nixon

Ford

Carter

Reagan

Bush Snr.

Clinton

Bush Jnr.

Your Presidents change just as much as our PMs and Margeret Thatcher, during her time at No. 10 dealt with 3 different Presidents

Just be impressed I knew the guy's name without looking him up! XD It just seemed like one got into the office then whoosh, he's out. =\ Guess time really does fly unnoticed alot. >.<

When it gets to the Federal level, then no way it is a community anymore or a village as Hillary tried unsucessfully to promote.

However it gives the person a good sence of the needs of people.

Do you think all the past President actually knows all the world leaders by names?

Which just goes to show a piece of our foriegn problems. We wxpect the world to know out leader.. but we can't expect our leader to *ATLEAST* know the names and countries of our allies.

Just be impressed I knew the guy's name without looking him up!

If all i have to do is be impressed. Then I'll do it.

P.S. Since 20th century Britain has had 27 PM's. USA - 19

So between 1900-2008 the UK changed it's leader every 4 years on average whilst America changed it's leader every 5.69 years. Americans give their Presidents just a little bit longer before deciding they're incompetent. We British have a lower threshold. ;)

If all i have to do is be impressed. Then I'll do it.

P.S. Since 20th century Britain has had 27 PM's. USA - 19

So between 1900-2008 the UK changed it's leader every 4 years on average whilst America changed it's leader every 5.69 years. Americans give their Presidents just a little bit longer before deciding they're incompetent. We British have a lower threshold. ;)

Nar.. it just seemed like time cought up with me, is all. It was like.. "It was this guy then..BAM! Tony Blair.. then BAM! Gordon Brown!" I completely lost track of the actual years between them. (and yet.. I seems like time drags ENDLESSLY with our presidents..)

Hey, AROCES, do you plan to take time from once again leading the discussion away on a red herring to actually look at the real reason why this was a ****-up on McCain's part? He mentioned "friends in the hemisphere" and the like, suggesting that he honestly couldn't remember who Zapatero was at the time, and simply assumed he was Random Latin American President #11. All of which would be slightly trivial, were it not for the fact that his campaign came roaring back with the claim that he knew exactly what he was talking (even though, he, well, didn't).