Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Jack the Ripper: Sickert & The Art of Murder

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#376    Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostBelial, on 05 May 2012 - 05:25 AM, said:

Why do you write with an olde english accent lol.
Why doth thou have an avatar defacing a legend come fantasy come pirate?
Why do you want to expose a tongue?
As for the "lol"? . . .Hmmm?
Twud be best for me not to make comment me thinks  :-D

#377    Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

I kinda like the portrait entitled 'Carolina' painted by Sickert during 1903 - 1904.
Apparently, she is one of the many prostitutes who frequently modelled for him.
However. . . . The portrait itself and indeed Carolina are not what they appear to be.......or first seem to the viewer.

Edited by Jackdaw, 07 May 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#378    Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

For those of you who are truly interested in the art of Walter Sickert I ask that you view the portrait "Carolina"
Does she at first glance appear to be sat on the sofa with her right hand upon the side of her face and her left hand resting upon her knee come lap? That lap is not her dress or skirt.
Take a further look . . . .
Before her kneels the upper half of a bare male, his skin all battered and torn, his face in her lap, his left arm and his back are in full view and her hand rests upon his left shoulder - Masonic?

'Carolina' in both Latin and German ( Sickert was born in Munich ) means FREE MAN.
Free from what? . . . . .Conscience . . . . .or Guilt?

Edited by Jackdaw, 08 May 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#379    moosehead

moosehead

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• IS there happiness out there for me?

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

I have recently heard that the theory now is that it was a woman that was Jack The Ripper. I find that hard to believe tho. Most women killers do not do that kind of damage to other women.

Happiness illudes me. Each day is a struggle.

#380    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,126 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

View Postmoosehead, on 29 August 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

I have recently heard that the theory now is that it was a woman that was Jack The Ripper. I find that hard to believe tho. Most women killers do not do that kind of damage to other women.

All it takes is one....

Cz

"Thinking is critical, because sense is not common..." - GreaterSapien
"Enquiring and doubting the "official story" are also good things .... However when these doubts require you to ignore the evidence, to dishonestly cherry pick evidence and claim it supports your case when it doesn't, when you operate a double standard; demanding proof of that which is already proven whilst making unsupported statements and personal opinions to back your own case and when you deny the truth simply because it IS the official story then you are no longer acting in a rational way. This is not the behaviour of a "different thinker", this is the behaviour of a "believer" who chooses not to rationally think about the evidence at all." - Waspie Dwarf

#381    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,850 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostCzero 101, on 29 August 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

All it takes is one....

Cz
nods*

#382    moosehead

moosehead

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• IS there happiness out there for me?

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

Guess there will always be theories. I saw another docu last night. This man is certain it was a man named Kelly. The evidence seems pretty good.

Happiness illudes me. Each day is a struggle.

#383    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,126 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

I was simply pointing out that your "Most women killers..." rationale for finding it "hard to believe" that Jack the Ripper might have been a woman is flawed in its logic.

"Most women killers" is not the same as "ALL women killers" (something that you couldn't say as a fact, anyway) and by definition implies that there are "SOME women killers" who could / would / did do that kind of damage to other women, and one of those women capable of doing that could have been Jack the Ripper.

That said, I haven't seen the information that points to JtR being a woman, so I can't say either way how likely it is that that particular theory is correct.

Cz

"Thinking is critical, because sense is not common..." - GreaterSapien
"Enquiring and doubting the "official story" are also good things .... However when these doubts require you to ignore the evidence, to dishonestly cherry pick evidence and claim it supports your case when it doesn't, when you operate a double standard; demanding proof of that which is already proven whilst making unsupported statements and personal opinions to back your own case and when you deny the truth simply because it IS the official story then you are no longer acting in a rational way. This is not the behaviour of a "different thinker", this is the behaviour of a "believer" who chooses not to rationally think about the evidence at all." - Waspie Dwarf

#384    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Was this post intended to be satirical? Because if it wasn't the poster certainly has a wild imagination.  :whistle:

Edited by Thomas J, 30 August 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#385    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

View Postboileddogs, on 03 November 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

Wild Imagination?
Look up Sickert's Camden Town Period portraits if you want to see a wild imagination.

I've seen his paintings. They show naked women laying on beds and such, really not odd for an artist. After all wikipedia, mind the source, I can't believe I am giving such speculation this much attention.. mentions that he gained inspiration for the painting from the Jack the Ripper after Sickert had been told by the owner of the lodge he moved into that she suspected the previous tenet was Jack the Ripper. Prior to this, Sickert had already taken an Interest to the case as I imagine anyone would living in the area.

So out of the options: Sickert basing his artwork on the headline news at the time, or painting one of his victims..  to you, what sounds more plausible?

From what I have read about this suspicion, the focal point that draws attention is the paintings. I don't think that qualifies as reasonable.

#386    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

View Postboileddogs, on 04 November 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Qualifies as reasonable??? .......for what?

A reasonable suspect. Since nothing other than one or two of his paintings, which could more plausibly be explained as inspired by Jack, and his location at the time would suggest him to be Jack the Ripper. A minor suspect non the less, but in comparison to others that have been proposed I don't think he competes. This just is personal opinion.

So having studied his paintings you say that women with distorted faces isn't strange or has a wild imagination?

Didn't say I had studied the paintings. There isn't anything you can really study, other than trying desperately to see things (Wild imagination) that aren't there as exemplified by the poster, anyway. What I was saying is that paintings, to me at least, don't draw any suspicion towards Sickert. I mentioned that the section of the Wikipedia article on Sickert said about him taking an Interest in the case, and the story about his lodge owner suspecting the previous tenant of inspiring his painting seems a lot more plausible.

Sickert based his artwork on much more than "headlines news" as you say.
And can you tell me of another artiist in London 1888 that did likewise?

I don't know all the sources of inspiration for his painting,so I don't where you got "-much more- than headline news" from. Which by the last part was just analogous. There was news of him in the papers at the time of course; it was meant to highlight how he was a subject of Interest around London. That's the impression I have been given at least.

Edit: Jack the ripper being the subject of Interest. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

And no, I can't name another artist at the time. Can you please tell me why only one (assuming there isn't others) artist having painted pictures remotely resembling Jack's crimes is of significance? I'm really not following the logic there. The only significance that could be possible assigned to that would to presuppose Sickert was the ripper.

Edited by Thomas J, 04 November 2012 - 03:16 AM.

#387    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,052 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

I saw Jesus in my morning yogurt.

Attached Files

#388    boileddogs

boileddogs

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostNeognosis, on 05 November 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

Really???  Maybe you should try a stronger coffee at breakfast time?
Did you take a picture of the yogurt?

#389    mattyt81

mattyt81

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

the author said she chose Sickert at random from a bunch of suspects. I'm sure she could have come up with pretty damning cases against a number of the others if she chose them instead. It was a very interesting book with some very convincing theories but I'm not convinced

#390    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,454 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

View PostNeognosis, on 05 November 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

Was he doing the backstroke or just freestyle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users