Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

A very strange event just occurred.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

View Postjoc, on 27 October 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

The only logical explanation is that you used your card...the transaction was delayed...then you lost your card and someone picked it up.  Your wife didn't really have your card...she had her card.  She gave you your card back...did you recheck the number on the card to make sure it is actually yours and not hers?
Nope got my card back from her. It's mine alright. The only "logical " expelenation is that the person in front of me paid but also had the same last four digits. Stranger things have happened as unlikely as it seams.

Edited by Seeker79, 28 October 2012 - 02:37 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#32    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,729 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 28 October 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

Nope got my card back from her. It's mine alright. The only "logical " expelenation is that the person in front of me paid but also had the same last four digits. Stranger things have happened as unlikely as it seams.

You got me interested so I looked this up:
Link
For starters, the first digit in the number indicates what type of card you’re dealing with. This number is always a 3, 4, 5, or 6, and can be interpreted as follows:

3 = Travel or entertainment card (e.g., Amex or Diner’s Club)
4 = Visa Card
5 = MasterCard
6 = Discover Card
Visa credit card numbers

For Visa cards, the numbers are 16 digits long. Visa has used to have 13 digit numbers, as well, but those have been mostly (completely?) migrated over to the 16 digit format.

When looking at the balance of the numbers, the 2nd through 6th digits are the bank number, and the 7th-15th numbers are your account number. The remaining digit is known as the “check digit,” which is used to help determine whether or not the overall number is legitimate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You might call your bank and ask them about it...but I don't think it is probable...I could be wrong...it certainly is a head scratcher of a mystery.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#33    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

View Postjoc, on 28 October 2012 - 02:56 AM, said:

You got me interested so I looked this up:
Link
For starters, the first digit in the number indicates what type of card you’re dealing with. This number is always a 3, 4, 5, or 6, and can be interpreted as follows:

3 = Travel or entertainment card (e.g., Amex or Diner’s Club)
4 = Visa Card
5 = MasterCard
6 = Discover Card
Visa credit card numbers

For Visa cards, the numbers are 16 digits long. Visa has used to have 13 digit numbers, as well, but those have been mostly (completely?) migrated over to the 16 digit format.

When looking at the balance of the numbers, the 2nd through 6th digits are the bank number, and the 7th-15th numbers are your account number. The remaining digit is known as the “check digit,” which is used to help determine whether or not the overall number is legitimate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You might call your bank and ask them about it...but I don't think it is probable...I could be wrong...it certainly is a head scratcher of a mystery.
The receipt only has the last 4 digits. The rest of the number is stared out. 5666 is on the receipt 5666 is the last four digits of my card no mistaking it. I'm sure there are more than 10,000 visas out there so there are bound to be duplicates of the last four digits.

Edited by Seeker79, 28 October 2012 - 05:46 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#34    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

I like Mr Walker's first suggestion.

I would like to add the possibility that you indeed thought you had your card, the cashier thought so too, as did the machine that locally printed out the receipt, so all three of you were fooled: you, the barista, the cash register, but the transaction did not actually reach the bank.

This would indicate that the digits on your card are somehow actually in your head. Of course the only way to test this is to do the reverse, as if you somehow tricked yourself into thinking the last four numbers were different for example, would it then decline your card, but then if your realized the right numbers then accept the transaction if swiped again?

I can imagine a cashier telling someone to swipe it again but this time visualize in their mind that their account has funds in it, maybe that Lexus would be approved after all Simbi?

#35    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

So you should ask the seller right away how the hell you could pay for the sandwitch

#36    magebane

magebane

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

ask the cashier or manager if they have any cctv footage of you paying. Hopefully they have a real cctv setup and not just a dummy. your have the reciept and the time if was paid. it would be interesting to see the result

#37    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 29 October 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

So you should ask the seller right away how the hell you could pay for the sandwitch
I would have... But for probably a good 15 minutes I was under the impression that I just lost it. I was wondering both places with my nose to the ground.,, I did go back and made her check the safe. Just in case someone turned it in. My bank was in the same shopping center... Before calling my wife I was inches away from walking over there and canceling the card. I thought for sure Somone stoll it. The the begal shop and Starbucks are fairly small and literally right next to each other. No more than 20 paces. From register to register. In my mind if an honest person found it they would have turned it into one or the other.., I checked. obviously it was in my wife's purse.

Edited by Seeker79, 29 October 2012 - 12:44 AM.

Bruce Lee-

#38    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

View Postmagebane, on 29 October 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

ask the cashier or manager if they have any cctv footage of you paying. Hopefully they have a real cctv setup and not just a dummy. your have the reciept and the time if was paid. it would be interesting to see the result
It would be... But I'm not going to go that far.

Bruce Lee-

#39    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

View Postmagebane, on 29 October 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

I doubt they would ever agree to show him the footage unless there is some serious thing going on ..

I know coz when my friend's laptop was stolen at the university library they wouldn't let us see the tape .. Only the police had the permission to ask for it..

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#40    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,648 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Somewhere, in a nearby alternative universe, another you is bemoaning the fact that his visa card, which was in his pocket right when he went to get a coffee and a bagel, suddenly wasnt there, but mysteriously reappeared moments later.
This made me think. Money keeps turning up for me in my wallet and elsewhere such as inmy car or at my work. Perhaps some poor/unfortunate me, in an alternative universe, is very careless with his money, and  can't work out why $50 notes keep disappearing from his possession.

If nothing else, its given me a great idea for a short story.

Edited by Mr Walker, 05 November 2012 - 11:43 PM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#41    constantine_337

constantine_337

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Love is the law of the universe. Hatred is a disease that kills nations.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Heres a funny thought......At a quantum level, one particle can be at two places at once. Also a popular belief is that if the conscious mind believes strongly enough, it will happen. Maybe you believed so strongly that you had the card that in fact you didnt. So your consciousness created the card physically and then returned back to its normal position.

Posted Image

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

#42    Pulsar_J

Pulsar_J

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

lol never a dull moment with you my friend.

Savvy?

#43    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 05 November 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

Somewhere, in a nearby alternative universe, another you is bemoaning the fact that his visa card, which was in his pocket right when he went to get a coffee and a bagel, suddenly wasnt there, but mysteriously reappeared moments later.
This made me think. Money keeps turning up for me in my wallet and elsewhere such as inmy car or at my work. Perhaps some poor/unfortunate me, in an alternative universe, is very careless with his money, and  can't work out why $50 notes keep disappearing from his possession.

If nothing else, its given me a great idea for a short story.
Haha imagine if you could control that power. I could keep stealing some other mes mony from a different universe and be quite rich.

Bruce Lee-

#44    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

View Postconstantine_337, on 06 November 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Heres a funny thought......At a quantum level, one particle can be at two places at once. Also a popular belief is that if the conscious mind believes strongly enough, it will happen. Maybe you believed so strongly that you had the card that in fact you didnt. So your consciousness created the card physically and then returned back to its normal position.
That crossed my mind. A syncronistic event seems more likely, but i can't be sure what the likelihood of such a thing is. As Somone mentioned Mabey things like this happen all the time, but we are just not aware of it.

Bruce Lee-

#45    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PostPulsar_J, on 06 November 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

lol never a dull moment with you my friend.

I know right!!!  My wife and a few close friends have been with me on a few little adventures, everything from digging up buried treasure, finding meteorights, and being randomly "guided" into the desert while taking a pee to find an ancient Clovis point. Life is grand!!!!

Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users