Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Danger 'rising' from extreme right

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Efforts to limit gun violence and to bring about immigration reform have led to a growing backlash from the extreme right, including the so-called patriot and militia groups, a civil-rights group said Tuesday.

In its latest report, the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks extreme right-wing and hate groups, said that it had counted 1,360 patriot groups in 2012, up about 7% from the 1,274 active in 2011.

That is also a rise of 813% since 2008, the year before President Obama, the nation’s first elected African American president, took office.

The groups include 321 militias, far more than the movement's previous peak in the 1990s, when militias were inflamed by the 1993 Brady Bill to control guns and the 1994 assault rifle ban, the center said.

“Now, in the wake of the mass murder of 26 children and adults at a Connecticut school and the Obama-led gun control efforts that followed, it seems likely that that growth will pick up speed once again,” the center noted.

http://www.presstv.i...ail/292160.html

And everyone kept saying they wouldn't label civilian militias as terrorist groups. I saw this coming from a mile away, the government now sees civilian militias designed to protect the constitution as a threat to national security. Basically they are labeling patriot militias as terrorists...

Edited by Uncle Sam, 06 March 2013 - 12:59 PM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Years ago they would have called the vigilantes....whats changed?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 March 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

The military shots to kill all terrorists if they are labeled so. That includes the law that will allow them to kill terrorists on american soil with drones. They are bundling patriots who protect the constitution with terrorists who use fear and death to control a population...

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#4    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,830 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

How long did they think they were gonna get away with raping the constitution before things like this took place? The government is the threat, this is just a reaction to thier tyranny.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#5    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,830 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

How do you figure that? Militias are not vigilantes. These are people who are preparing for a fight against a government who is waging war on us.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#6    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,841 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

terrorist....  the MAGIC word.    Speak it and you become all powerful

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#7    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,378 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

This almost reminds me of the second term of Bill Clinton when militias were demonized and prosecuted.

Won't be long, and they will give us another Timothy McVeigh and Murrah Building incident....

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 06 March 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

The military shots to kill all terrorists if they are labeled so. That includes the law that will allow them to kill terrorists on american soil with drones. They are bundling patriots who protect the constitution with terrorists who use fear and death to control a population...

“We are seeing a real and rising threat of domestic terrorism as the number of far-right anti-government groups continues to grow at an astounding pace,

I was referring to people who are not actually far right, but will be called that because they want to protect their homes and families.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#9    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,838 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 06 March 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

[/size]

And everyone kept saying they wouldn't label civilian militias as terrorist groups. I saw this coming from a mile away, the government now sees civilian militias designed to protect the constitution as a threat to national security. Basically they are labeling patriot militias as terrorists...

Your link doesn't work (at least not on my phone), so can you show me where they even used the word "terrorist"?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#10    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostStellar, on 06 March 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Your link doesn't work (at least not on my phone), so can you show me where they even used the word "terrorist"?

“We are seeing a real and rising threat of domestic terrorism as the number of far-right anti-government groups continues to grow at an astounding pace,” said Mark Potok, Southern Poverty Law Center senior fellow and author of the report. “It is critically important that the country take this threat seriously. The potential for deadly violence is real, and clearly rising.”

Founded in 1971, the center has been the leading watchdog of the extreme right ever since, monitoring a diverse collection of groups that includes neo-Nazis, white nationalists, black separatists, Holocaust deniers and the patriot and militia movement.

In general, the patriot and militia enthusiasts believe that the U.S. government is seeking to disarm them as a first step to destroying personal liberty and then turning the country over to foreigners seeking world domination. LA Times

Edited by Uncle Sam, 06 March 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,054 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

If they refrain from trying to overthrow the government -- and other things of that flavor -- I think they will be left alone.  Left-wingers are capable of using scare tactics too but adults usually prevail in these matters.

#12    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 06 March 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

[/size]

The left always descend into totalitarianism if not kept in check.

First they'll stop them working, then they'll take away their freedoms and finally treat them as criminals all for not agreeing with social/liberal ideology.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 06 March 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,054 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 06 March 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

The left always descend into totalitarianism if not kept in check.

First they'll stop them working, then they'll take away their freedoms and finally treat them as criminals all for not agreeing with social/liberal ideology.
The same applies to the right.  Just replace "social/liberal" with "conservative."

#14    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,030 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

And how do we know that militias won't turn on fellow civilians who don't agree with them?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#15    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,099 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

What are you talking about??  A vigilante is someone who takes the law into thier own hands acting as judge, jury, and executioner.  A militia group is a paramilitary organization whos existence is protected under the constitution.  I get that you don't understand much about American culture but this should be obvious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users