Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Window Face at Big Pink House - Saugerties

et entity ghost

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31    WolfBane

WolfBane

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

• ďAll it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day." -The Joker -

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

kinda looks a little like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers lol

Posted Image

Edited by WolfBane, 20 August 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#32    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 20 August 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Brian isn't being arrogant nor insulting. Just because his view on reality is different from yours and obviously something you don't want to be told, he's arrogant and insulting?

Thanks for the kind words but I am arrogant and at times insulting, but for this time, When I said that the original poster is  clutching at straws, he even admited this by his post.

I know it's probably "nothing" but it's just down from the window in question

As I have mentioned on here before, people who post their findings on UM tend to show their excitement like they found motherload of gold and I respect them for that. The problem is when a logical explanation is given (with evidence of being nothing more than human/machine error), the Stuck it rich poster has just now had found out their gold is nothing more than just useless Iron Pyrite, tend to convince other that it is gold and get defensive and attack or discredit the other person (not stating this thread is it) because they feel like they made a fool of for not knowing it is Iron Pyrite.

As for the original photos with the face...

-=Warning Tech babble incoming=-
Alane, The problem is this, Your photo is in JPG format.  the two basic formats, JPG and JPEG is that are almost always present in every "Save JPEG" dialog are the compression/quality of the image, and the standard/optimized/progressive formats.
Both compression and quality refers to the same parameter but one is the inverse of the other (e.g. in a percentage-based scale 35% compression is equal to 65% quality). Depending of your program of choice you'll find either, but the result is the same: the more compression, the lesser image quality. The proper setting for this parameter depends of the image quality or file size you need/want to obtain, getting the best ratios with 50%-85% of image quality (equivalent to 50%-15% compression).
The standard (baseline) and optimized (baseline optimized) settings provides the same image quality but the optimized format provides a 2%-8% reduction of the image file size, so there is no reason for not use always this setting when not using the progressive format. The progressive format also provides the same quality, but offers an alternate method of displaying the image while it is downloaded, at the cost of a slight increase in the file size.

-=Translation=-
Jpgs/Jpegs compress the file picture quality every time you save.

What does that mean? The pixels will change, either blur, alter, change shade of colors or some causes alters the image quality and the way it looks.  If I zoom up to your first photo (on the first post), It looks very different than the 2nd and third as in the shape. It looks more like a cloud than a face and it doesn't look as dark. Now if use my with photoshop and cropped and stretched it then save it, it going to look different to yours, Not a MAJOR different but a noticable difference).

With the compression and alteration of the picture, matrixing and Visual Pareidolia is also at work here. The windows are dark (no blinds drawn) creating a transparent window and with your angle of the photo being taken you are seeing the reflection of the sky and trees. look at the window on the middle left on the top window, You are seeing the reflection of the sky also.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#33    alane011

alane011

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Brian - if I were clutching( grasping) at straws  - it would have looked something like this: "Hey everyone - this is something! - look at this add'l pic! - I have proven the validity of the face - I'se a genius"

also - I zoom in and out on the original file that I have on different pics and it looks the same to me - I agree about the other reflections. But thanks for taking the time to explain the tech element.

#34    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Every time I see this topic title instead of "Saugerties", I see the word "sugartits".

#35    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

View Postcoldethyl, on 20 August 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

Every time I see this topic title instead of "Saugerties", I see the word "sugartits".

:lol: , me too!

Posted Image <-- my attack bee

#36    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,297 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostBrian Topp, on 20 August 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Thanks for the kind words but I am arrogant and at times insulting, but for this time, When I said that the original poster is  clutching at straws, he even admited this by his post.

Then I leave you to it. But by all means, don't overlook the fact that the photos were taken with a cell phone camera, not a real camera.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#37    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostLady Kasey, on 20 August 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

Then I leave you to it. But by all means, don't overlook the fact that the photos were taken with a cell phone camera, not a real camera.
ahhh, the plot thickens.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#38    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,204 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

View Postcoldethyl, on 20 August 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

Well, now that's a sweet dyslexic moment to have. :whistle:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#39    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,561 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 21 August 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Not if your name is Gibson.  :)

#40    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 21 August 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

My bf calls me this sometimes, so I guess that's why my brain sees it.  lol

#41    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,169 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

It just looks like reflections on the glass that very vaguely correspond to some of the features on a face.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#42    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 21 August 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

It just looks like reflections on the glass that very vaguely correspond to some of the features on a face.

Tell me if I understand this.

If we look up in the sky and see faces in clouds, those simply can't be ghosts.

However if we look at the reflections of clouds in a window and see faces. those must be ghosts.

And if we take a picture of those reflections, then they must be considered evidence of the paranormal.

#43    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,169 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

It's weird, isn't it?

People know what pareidola is even if they don't know the word for it.  We all see faces and recognisable shapes in clouds, wood grain, wallpaper patterns, rocks on the beach, etc. but think nothing of it because we know we tend to make out familiar shapes and objects in otherwise random information.

But some people when they see the same phenomenon in reflections in glass, shapes in the woods, etc. in their own photos somehow jump to the conclusion that it isn't the same phenomenon that they see in clouds and wallpaper patterns, it's an actual photo of an actual ghost.

And like a lot of 'evidence' of the paranormal, it lies in questionable quality evidence.  Noisy heavily compressed photos taken with a camera phone that have been resized downward for web use. According to Flickr's statistics, 3 of the 5 most popular cameras used on their website are Digital SLRs.  Where are the noise free 10+ megapixel crisp clean images of ghosts?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Also tagged with et, entity, ghost

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users