Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mystery light

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

Tasmanian police and firefighters are unable to explain the source of a beam of light which reportedly fell from the sky and formed a circle of fire in a Hobart suburb.
Early yesterday morning police and fire crews received calls from concerned residents in Carnegie Street at Claremont, who reported seeing a bright light igniting a fire in a nearby paddock.
Tasmania Fire Service officer Scott Vinen says the blaze was quickly put out, leaving an obvious burnt patch.
He says the bizarre incident has everyone baffled.
"Once we put the fire out, we kind of walked through the fire and tried to find something," he said.
"We thought a flare or something may have landed there, but we couldn't find any cause."
The Fire Service says it will not investigate further.

Image within link

http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/latest/16283446/mysterious-light-blamed-for-circle-of-fire/

Edited by Belial, 03 March 2013 - 04:05 AM.

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#2    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

Lightning?

Posted Image

#3    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

No one mentioned lightning and i think they would have said so?

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#4    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,083 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Another report at odds with the resultant trace evidence, burnt patch of ground but certainly not a circle - not even sure this 'circle of fire' was actually seen.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#5    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Look at the picture of the circle. That grass is exceptionally dry, they are lucky the fire was only a small area, and not a HUGE problem. No matter where the light came from, (I suspect heat lightning)(I know heat lightning isn't actually a true phenomenon, but it is part of the remnants of storms), they got extremely lucky.

Edited by ancient astronaut, 03 March 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#6    andy hair candy

andy hair candy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

• slowly slipping away...

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Thats kinda cool

#7    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Not sure how the fire depts operate in Tasmania, but typically wildlands firefighters go on high alert when lightning or "dry lightning" threatens. And, I would imagine weather would have been mentioned as a potential cause. Often, in small fires as depicted, the source is identifiable, such as a cigarette butt. But, again, nothing of the obvious was mentioned. So, what remains is the potential for spontaneous combustion or given the "beam of light," I will go to the extreme and offer the suggestion of a bit of space debris.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,992 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Big mystery based on the fire department's unwillingness to waste a lot of time finding the cause of a minor fire.  Odds are they missed the burnt matchstick among all the other burnt sticks.

#9    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,629 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Highly likely it was kids playing with matches. Unless you believe in space based LASER weapons or alien pranksters.

#10    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,207 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

We can obviously assign a prosaic cause to this incident, if we ignore the reports of a beam of light from the sky. A small meteorite   comes to mind, but one substantial enough to create a conspicuously bright beam of light should have left some sort of crater, at least a small one, shouldn't it? This was not reported.
Maybe a crop circle in the making, but there was a malfunction, and the energy beam used to make it became too strong; strong enough to set fire to the grass. Small burned areas have been noted in crop circles before. The fact that the burned area was not perfectly round does not seem to be significant. Once the fire started, it would presumably spread somewhat irregularly, on its own.

Edited by bison, 03 March 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#11    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,598 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

From what I understand.it does not have to be cloudy or even remotely stormy in order for there to be lightning.
Furthermore lightning doesn't always need to be in the form of a solid bolt either.

For all we know it could have even been a tiny speck of dust from space that somehow survived the plunge into our atmosphere, surviving just long enough to be just a small ball of hot gasses before it hit the ground.

#12    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,207 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Most Tasmanians can probably identify a bolt of lightning, and distinguish it from a beam of light. They likely can recognize a shooting star, too, which is what a small meteor looks like. 'Sheet lightning' or 'heat lightning' are terms for a bolt of lightning which occurs beyond the horizon or is obscured by clouds. The light is reflected from or diffused by clouds and seems to fill the sky. This doesn't look like a beam of light, either.

#13    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

ufo

#14    MedicTJ

MedicTJ

Psychic Spy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

If it was a death ray, I want one.  And if there really is a death ray weapon, it would replace my current theory that there is no problem that cannot be resolved with a rocket launcher.

Dr. Phil says that marriage is hard work.

I say....if marriage is hard work, you're doing it wrong.  Love is not work.  Love is eternal.

http://www.reverbnat...om/tjflickinger

#15    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,737 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

I love it when strange things like this happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users