Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are we here on Earth?

Justice please

I posted this question on a wrong forum. I would like to know what you think about this question. An extremely brilliant young man asked me this question. He said that he felt as though we keep going around in circles and doing the same things daily. Whether you want a lot of money. Fancy car, fame or whatever. I feel like he does. There are days I sit and think here I go again, there has to be something that I am meant to do but what? Have any of you ever felt like this? One day I was so sad I felt as if I lived somewhere else on another planet. I have never been on another planet!

People tend to look for one of two things: success, or happiness. There is a good amount of overlap between the two, but they are not, I think, mutually inclusive. Each person's ideal goal of success or happiness is unique and subjective. What any given person is meant to do is to find something fulfilling, whatever that means to you.

As for being on another planet, I can't help you. Maybe in the next few decades or so. Maybe.

I think we are here to learn to let it all go so we can move on. The more self serving and self centered you are the farther you are from completion.

• Like 1

I dont pretend to know. But, If you believe in an afterlife this life only makes sense if it's a test and/or a lesson. If this life is all there is then it's pretty much void of purpose.

The universe evolved into you, and that's the most amazing thing. But in reality, you only seem to be here, but you're really not here. The universe doesn't really exist, either. The universe and you just appear to exist, because you think they do. My advice is, make your-self invisible. What I mean is, then there's no 'you' here to ask this question, so you can relax and enjoy the virtual ride.

• Like 1

I think we are here because of biology/evolution.

Plus if we were not here we'd probably be somewhere else.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

Perhaps to help spread the seeds of some plants and regulate some animal populations?

But that probably doesnt make us seem 'important' enough ?

I know most of us think we are more important than that .... but really, we are part of nature. Our purpose then is to play our part .

Might be a little late for that though ... I think we let our big brains run away with themselves.

So we may as well play with that a bit .... and get back to being part of nature a bit .... instead of rampantly destroying it.

- I will also add that I have heard indigenous people have a bit of a giggle about this ; 'White fellah ... he doesnt even know what he is here for ! How can a man operate and live properly when he doesnt even know what he is here for or what the purpose of life is ?"

• Like 3

Actually, it is my view that we dont instinctively know this ... we need to be educated about it in the system and culture we live in , this is usually done via rites of passage and initiation ... societies without a relevant set of that (or who have lost it) all show similar symptoms of degradation ; loss of respect for children and elders, and culture and sacred rites, disrespect or indifference to sacred sites or community facilities (vandalism), loss of individual purpose and direction, substance abuse ( not use , many cultures use drugs - abuse relevant to 'normal usage') , self-harm and eventually, suicide .

Sound familiar ?

Actually, it is my view that we dont instinctively know this ... we need to be educated about it in the system and culture we live in , this is usually done via rites of passage and initiation ... societies without a relevant set of that (or who have lost it) all show similar symptoms of degradation ; loss of respect for children and elders, and culture and sacred rites, disrespect or indifference to sacred sites or community facilities (vandalism), loss of individual purpose and direction, substance abuse ( not use , many cultures use drugs - abuse relevant to 'normal usage') , self-harm and eventually, suicide .

Sound familiar ?

bolding, mine

Could you go into more specific detail about the part I've bolded above? Examples.

Do you think rites and initiations change? Change to the point where older generations don't recognize them in a younger generation? Or, do you think there is a sort of "standard" rites and initiations across all generations and cultures?

Thank you

bolding, mine

Could you go into more specific detail about the part I've bolded above? Examples.

Do you think rites and initiations change? Change to the point where older generations don't recognize them in a younger generation? Or, do you think there is a sort of "standard" rites and initiations across all generations and cultures?

Thank you

Back to earth: I really loved what you said. I believe in everything you said. Thank you for your answer.

Back to earth: I really loved what you said. I believe in everything you said. Thank you for your answer.

Not sure why you quoted me, but maybe I'll come to agree with you. I'm not clear on exactly what he means at this point. Hopefully he'll go into more detail. :)

Edited by QuiteContrary

The answer to life's most profound questions can be answered by an understanding of quantum physics and the holographic nature of the Universe.

We experience duality and separation in order for the soul to be imprinted with what it means and how it feels to be separate, unique, individual. We here in the physical universe can't begin to understand the powerful feelings of oneness and connectedness in the Spiritual Universe due to it's holographic nature. Because of those feelings of oneness and connectedness, as reported by so many near death experiencers, it may not be possible to develop a sense of "self" or separateness in Heaven. It may have be done here and the way the soul does it is by being imprinted with separation, over and over again and over and over again, enough to last for trillions of years. Duality means stuff like religion, politics, race, language, culture, wealth, looks, height and weight, color, dialects, gender, sexual orientation, etc. All the labels that we wear in life that make us feel separate, unique, individual.

As for physical suffering, it imprints on the soul the physical parameters of the body. What it means and how it feels to be inside a body. To inhabit a body. The difference between feeling warm and feeling hot is a matter of degree. Same with cold. Each touch, both positive and negative, like a bit of computer code, imprinting on the soul the physical parameters of the body. Stub your toe, hit your funny bone, scratch an itch, paper cuts, brush your hair or your teeth, eat a hot pepper, burns, touch your face, feel the wind against your skin, and it's sending little bits of code to the collective unconscious of what it feels like to be in a body.

Life's lessons are embedded in our everyday lives and the soul learns holistically what it's supposed to learn whether we want it to or not. In much the same way that children learn how to talk or a baby duck imprints on it's mother after it hatches out of the egg. Holistically. We don't have to do jack squat.

Because of the holographic nature of the other side all knowledge, and information, on the other side is shared. What one knows everyone knows. We come here not to be assimilated like some kind of Borg, but exactly the opposite, to become unassimilated. To learn what it means to be separate.

The death of someone we love is the ultimate lesson in separation. Nothing else comes close. Not divorce, not friends moving away, nothing imprints on the soul what it means to be separate quite like losing someone you love. The more emotional the experience the more powerful and long lasting the memory it creates. Enough to last for eternity.

We may never be allowed to know absolutely for certain that there is life after death because if we knew absolutely 100% for certain that one day we were going to be reunited forever with the loved ones we've lost, death would lose a little bit of it's sting and power over us.

Everything happens for a reason, even the bad stuff. But keep in mind, compared to eternity, our lives here are like the blink of eye. We think it's a long time while we are here, but after we cross back over it will seem like no time at all has gone by, and we'll view this life like it was a dream or movie, not quite real. This ain't the main show, it's only a very temporary school that we come to for a very short while and then we are allowed back into the Spiritual Universe. Everyone becomes instantly enlightened upon entering the light. It's one of the benefits of those feelings of oneness and connectedness, the holographic nature of the Spiritual Universe.

"Did you know that I was dead ? It was most extraordinary, my thoughts became persons." A..J. Ayer's NDE

"Suddenly I thought of a mountain, I had seen as a child. When I looked up from the road there it was; The Mountain!" - Mark H's NDE

Edited by Artaxerxes
  • Like 3

The answer to life's most profound questions can be answered by an understanding of quantum physics and the holographic nature of the Universe.

We experience duality and separation in order for the soul to be imprinted with what it means and how it feels to be separate, unique, individual. We here in the physical universe can't begin to understand the powerful feelings of oneness and connectedness in the Spiritual Universe due to it's holographic nature. Because of those feelings of oneness and connectedness, as reported by so many near death experiencers, it may not be possible to develop a sense of "self" or separateness in Heaven. It may have be done here and the way the soul does it is by being imprinted with separation, over and over again and over and over again, enough to last for trillions of years. Duality means stuff like religion, politics, race, language, culture, wealth, looks, height and weight, color, dialects, gender, sexual orientation, etc. All the labels that we wear in life that make us feel separate, unique, individual.

As for physical suffering, it imprints on the soul the physical parameters of the body. What it means and how it feels to be inside a body. To inhabit a body. The difference between feeling warm and feeling hot is a matter of degree. Same with cold. Each touch, both positive and negative, like a bit of computer code, imprinting on the soul the physical parameters of the body. Stub your toe, hit your funny bone, scratch an itch, paper cuts, brush your hair or your teeth, eat a hot pepper, burns, touch your face, feel the wind against your skin, and it's sending little bits of code to the collective unconscious of what it feels like to be in a body.

Life's lessons are embedded in our everyday lives and the soul learns holistically what it's supposed to learn whether we want it to or not. In much the same way that children learn how to talk or a baby duck imprints on it's mother after it hatches out of the egg. Holistically. We don't have to do jack squat.

Because of the holographic nature of the other side all knowledge, and information, on the other side is shared. What one knows everyone knows. We come here not to be assimilated like some kind of Borg, but exactly the opposite, to become unassimilated. To learn what it means to be separate.

The death of someone we love is the ultimate lesson in separation. Nothing else comes close. Not divorce, not friends moving away, nothing imprints on the soul what it means to be separate quite like losing someone you love. The more emotional the experience the more powerful and long lasting the memory it creates. Enough to last for eternity.

We may never be allowed to know absolutely for certain that there is life after death because if we knew absolutely 100% for certain that one day we were going to be reunited forever with the loved ones we've lost, death would lose a little bit of it's sting and power over us.

Everything happens for a reason, even the bad stuff. But keep in mind, compared to eternity, our lives here are like the blink of eye. We think it's a long time while we are here, but after we cross back over it will seem like no time at all has gone by, and we'll view this life like it was a dream or movie, not quite real. This ain't the main show, it's only a very temporary school that we come to for a very short while and then we are allowed back into the Spiritual Universe. Everyone becomes instantly enlightened upon entering the light. It's one of the benefits of those feelings of oneness and connectedness, the holographic nature of the Spiritual Universe.

"Did you know that I was dead ? It was most extraordinary, my thoughts became persons." A..J. Ayer's NDE

"Suddenly I thought of a mountain, I had seen as a child. When I looked up from the road there it was; The Mountain!" - Mark H's NDE

Artaxerxes: You have said so many beautiful things that make me think. Thank you so much for your thoughts.

• Like 1

This. I have heard this is quite literally the meaning of life, of why anyone ever has existed. If you don't believe in a soul or an afterlife then it's all nonsense to you. If you DO believe in a soul, and I most certainly do, then it becomes an Aha! type moment. It explains everything.

bolding, mine

Thank you

Essentially , when the cultural clothing is stripped away and we look at the essential aims dynamics and results ( from a wide anthropological perspective, across time and locations) it is about giving the individual a specific purpose and import in their society, a reason and purpose, socially and individually. Also the 'trade off' is explained (I am being very general brief and basic here ) ; how much of the individuality needs to be preserved and how much must be given up, in exchange for the benefits of being part of the society.

It usually happens in 3 stages ; birth or after birth rites... a type of pre-initiation, where the child is acknowledged as a member of the family/tribe, it may involve a washing or 'cooking' ceremony . Next, around puberty and the moving toward 'adulthood', the 'natural person' now has the 'responsibilities of a culture' - life. Then death and the after-life, the elders, shamans, etc - the cultural person becomes a magically transformed person.

Examples are all over the world from tribal indigenous cultures all the way through to Freemasons and churches.

A specific example could be the ancient 'professional guild and initiation system' that passed from an original Proto Indo-Iranian culture into both Iranian and Indian separated society. It is closely associated with one's trade or life's work ... in India it became fixed by birth and turned into a caste system, in Iran , it was not caste and is not fixed.

The Zoroastrian system , King Jamsheed introduced the system of: priests and learned - athravan, nobles and warriors - rathestaran, farmers - vasteryosan and artisans - hutokhshan, as well as the red thread ceremony.

The Hindu system has 4 varnas ; priests and learned - brahman, nobles and warriors - khshtria, merchants and farmers - vaishyas, labourers and artisans - sudra. Each had its own system and rules and an upanayana ceremony to 'bring within' - the upanayana. The Initiate is a dvijas ' - twice born (born again into 'spiritual life'). For a teen or early adult.

In Zoroastrianism it is a navjote, meaning 'new life' and done at the age of reason (15) .

Nowadays, In Hinduism, this initiation is available only to men of the first 3 casts. The Navote is more of a religious rite and celebrates the coming of age and not a ceremony of induction into a caste - it is open to all men and women.

Further refinements and sub sets then can be spread down through societies, 'secret societies' totemic clans , specific mysteries, etc.

Even today, many groups follow a similar three stage / degree - birth, life and death system ; Wicca, Blue Lodge Masonry, etc.

Yes, rites do need updating and changing as do religions ;) what happens is culture changes and the rights need to catch up . Now it becomes more complex . But this is very important if we want to heal our culture ... at the root, not just keep being outraged at the symptoms appearing .

I have to stop now (got a visitor ... so sorry about any lack of editing ) ... maybe more later if you are interested

We're here just because we are and that in and of itself is a miracle IMO. I'm here for other people, those that are in my life and those who will be here in the future long after I'm gone. I'm here to do my personal best to make things just a little bit better and to enjoy as much of the experience as I can until I move on into eternity.

• Like 5

I posted this question on a wrong forum. I would like to know what you think about this question. An extremely brilliant young man asked me this question. He said that he felt as though we keep going around in circles and doing the same things daily. Whether you want a lot of money. Fancy car, fame or whatever. I feel like he does. There are days I sit and think here I go again, there has to be something that I am meant to do but what? Have any of you ever felt like this? One day I was so sad I felt as if I lived somewhere else on another planet. I have never been on another planet!

The answer to the questions you ask lie in the recognition of social pressure - that is, the nature of our society causes pressures on us to 'succeed' in that society. For more and more people, however, it seems that our current form of society is not the 'best fit'. Unfortunately, the nature of our society is unlikely to change until the fundamentals underpinning its existence are removed. And by 'fundamentals' I do not mean the psychology of what drives us as individuals or a species, but the material expression of that psychology. Possibly the most pernicious of those fundamentals is our invention of 'money' as a symbol of success, worth or value.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

We are here to enjoy the adventure. There is a missing piece to this though, they used to say 'Know thy self' this is a key element to enjoying the adventure, knowing what/who you really are. Advertiser all over the world know we are looking for 'something ' most people follow the materialistic promises that never really fulfill us. You have seen through the lie of materialism this is a good thing, use this thirst you have to find something fulfilling for yourself.

Why we are here is simple, because mummy and daddy brought us here.

Man is here through nature, just like every other animal and species on this planet, the fact that man is greedy, selfish and destructive has nothing to do with why we are here. Man is also caring, loving and respectful, again, nothing to do with why we are here but it sure does make things go a lot smoother while we are.

We are a part of nature, we are also a very curious animal, this is why these questions are asked, this is also IMO why religion was first creature, as an understanding of the pains felt through the loss of loved ones, to try and understand the forces of seasons, to try and understand if there is a power beyond which can guide us when all else fails (man likes to pass the buck)......but things have changed since then, big time....mans greed.

We are here because nature brought us here...along with every other animal and species on this planet...do we have a purpose? maybe, maybe not, but there are insects which do have a purpose in helping this planet to flourish, man no doubt has the biggest to contribute to the preservation of nature and we have the ability to use its resources to better our environment, because we are top of the food chain, (in some situations) its mans greed which causes the problems and unrest.

We are here because we have evolved to suit our surroundings, just don`t F it up.

Edited by freetoroam

We are some kid's science project in a higher reality.

• Like 2

According to the dog I am here to scratch her belly, according to cat #1 I am here to keep the bowl full, according to cat #2 I am here to pet and love on.

I think I am the evolution of the Universe to reflect on itself. The Earth is my mother, I am here because, it is where I have evolved and adapted. We have a really nice planet, if we take care of it. It beats Venus, that is for sure. Maybe, if we last long enough, we adapt to life in space. That just might be the whole point. we are born here on Earth like a nest, then we grow our wings and fly away into space as the Universe continues to discover itself.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 3

To learn to be good citizens in the 'Real' world we were all removed from by going through repetitive scenarios in order to 'impress' upon us required standards of behavior...

And to awaken to 'Potential'....