Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The great organic food myth/scam.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    bulveye

bulveye

Poltergeist

• 2,315 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Quote from article ~ "They're not healthier or better for the environment and they're packed with pesticides. In an age of climate change and shortages, these foods are an indugence the world can't afford, argues environmental expert Rob Johnston"

Full article here:-

http://www.independe...ord-818585.html

Quite an interesting read, I can't wait for the organic food farmers to reply. Also I find it hard to believe that greenhouse grown tomatoes in the UK cost more in terms of 'climate consequence' to grow rather then importing them all the way from Kenya? Was transport costs taken into account?

Julian: "You're prostituting yourself out for cheeseburgers again, aren't you?"
Randy: "A man's gotta eat, Julian."      ~ Trailer Park Boys

#2    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Very interesting. One up for those of us who refuse to buy organic, and the reasons why :)

#3    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,143 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

I'm an organic grower. But I think a critical point is that I only grow on a "home scale". And yep, I totally champion organic growing on that scale.

I think that in general once it scales up into the farming monsters of commercial scale, there are faults in both organic and non organic methods. And in general, people don't usually know what goes into commercial organic farming any more than they know what goes into non organic farming.

#4    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

I'm an organic grower. But I think a critical point is that I only grow on a "home scale". And yep, I totally champion organic growing on that scale.

I think that in general once it scales up into the farming monsters of commercial scale, there are faults in both organic and non organic methods. And in general, people don't usually know what goes into commercial organic farming any more than they know what goes into non organic farming.

very true and well said... :)
small scale organic gardening, you can get incredible amounts of food from a small bit of land...but once it's scaled up...its not very different from any other method of farming

#5    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

After applying for organic status, growing shiitake mushrooms, I have no respect for the organic label. It is a sham that means nothing.

#6    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,555 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

It's just a marketing ploy

#7    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

When  I was in the hospital recovering from an injury.  My mother's friend kept trying to get her to buy Juice Plus.  She kept talking about organic health and how wonderful it was.  My mother was so worried for me. She also wanted to thank her friend for trying to help. So she signed up.  It turned out to be a pyramid scheme.  My mother was so upset. She felt her friend took advantage of her.  Now everytime my father hears "organic" he turns red.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#8    bulveye

bulveye

Poltergeist

• 2,315 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

It's like the whole Ostrich egg/meat scam from the late 80's early 90's.

Julian: "You're prostituting yourself out for cheeseburgers again, aren't you?"
Randy: "A man's gotta eat, Julian."      ~ Trailer Park Boys

#9    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,764 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

I want to try ostrich soo bad

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,758 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:23 AM

I love how people advertise "organic food" as if what we've been eating for years is actually fake food.

#11    Non sequitur

Non sequitur

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:39 AM

try eating an organic diet over the period of say, a year....anyone who doesnt notice  remarkable health benefits, are not doing it properly.i have noticed first hand how organic foods can benefit over all well being , but mostly the improvement of my teeth, ask any dentist, people who eat organic foods, simply have better teeth.

#12    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

Psychic Spy

• 1,403 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

What is the difference between a carrot in the supermarket labelled as organic, and a carrot in a  supermarket without the label?
Apart from the packaging and the price that is.

I haven't thought about it too much, but I would like to know what the actual physical difference is, and how that difference can be responsible for any effects on the body.

I would be interested if there are any direct proven benefits. However I get the feeling it is pseudo-scientific fad like so many 'health' initiatives.

Posted Image

#13    gnostic-deity

gnostic-deity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

• We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another. -Luciano de Crescenzo

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

i dug up half my front lawn a few years ago and have had an organic garden every summer since. i love it.

oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive

#14    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I thought companies slapped an 'organic' sticker on their products to get hippes/indies to buy it. Seems to have worked.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,565 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostNon sequitur, on 26 January 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

try eating an organic diet over the period of say, a year....anyone who doesnt notice  remarkable health benefits, are not doing it properly.i have noticed first hand how organic foods can benefit over all well being , but mostly the improvement of my teeth, ask any dentist, people who eat organic foods, simply have better teeth.

Perhaps you're simply eating better?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users