Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hijab controversy simmers at Olympics

hijab olympics

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,958 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

Well this is the one I was waiting for.
How did my country do? Well since I am a Canadian citizen, well addapt, intergrated, have an excellent job, py my taxes, volunteer on two boards and help out at the local SA every, every Christmas then I would say thanks for asking we just beat the sh+++ out of you.
As for my country of birth, well we did not do so well.
Do you hear your own bias? That is the western attitude speaking. Complaining about immigrants who do not addapt and complaining about those who do. You are a perfect example of an unsatisfied old male maid.
Buddy, people like YOU deserve all the pakistanies at your doorstep.
Here one for you, Oh Canada, my home and native Land... Screw hetro because that is his demand...
You guys are just jelous that people like me can make it anywhere in record time. There are millions of people like me, immigrants, croats, bosnians, serbs, arabs, asians...who addapt, work hard and honest and make a good living all thet within ten years while people like you, who are born in that country walk arround like bums.
It is not the avarrage brit, the educated one, who constantly complains about immigrants, it is the lowlifes looking to blame someone for their lazines.
Come on. Be truthfull. As much as you hate immigrants especialy muslims, you hate more the ones who actually fit in and make it.
Polish friends tell me about how you guys treat them and they are not even muslims but hard working and smart people.
Man I could go on and on but you see the picture, right?
Would like to police the world but keep the world out of you country, eh?

#17    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,958 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 04 August 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

name='Helen of Annoy' timestamp='1344081417' post='4399678']

What does you're opinion make you? you think you're opinion is more valid than mine?

This is the olympics not a local judo club if just anyone could enter it would be a complete farce.

As long as it's in the rules i don't care.

if you're not doing anything this afternoon, why not go and have a jog with Hussein bolt.

There are numerous amateurs who got invited to participate on the Olympics. Many of them from poor countries. This is what Olimpics are about.
*Snip*

Edited by Karlis, 05 August 2012 - 12:52 PM.
Delerted ad hominem remarks

#18    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,136 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Postodas, on 04 August 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

There are numerous amateurs who got invited to participate on the Olympics. Many of them from poor countries. This is what Olimpics are about.

*Snip*

p.s. I see this as a story about whether sporting rules should be altered to accommodate cultural & religious sensitivities & nothing to do with race and besides as we know 'muslim' isn't a race, it's a totalitarian belief system masquerading as a religion.

Edited by Karlis, 05 August 2012 - 12:57 PM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#19    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,958 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 04 August 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

*Snip*

p.s. I see this as a story about whether sporting rules should be altered to accommodate cultural & religious sensitivities & nothing to do with race and besides as we know 'muslim' isn't a race, it's a totalitarian belief system masquerading as a religion.

It is self explanatory. *Snip*

And, yes, sporting rules have been alteted already to accomodate religios beliefs, primaraly christian. We already altered the olympics
otherwise we would have naked people running around.

Unbelievable. A nation that gave ys Darwin, Swift, Defoe, Newton..gives us also isno and hetro?
Well, it is true then when they say nobody is perfect.
Cheers.

Edited by Karlis, 05 August 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#20    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

View Postodas, on 04 August 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

*Snip* Olympians from poor countries compete because they're the best they're not being done a favour, don't you think that's an insult to some of the best athletes in the world?

Edited by Karlis, 05 August 2012 - 01:04 PM.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#21    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

We're all talking a load of hyperbole :yes: but the fact is i don't want to watch a blue belt get beat i want to watch the best who've got there through hard work and dedication.

Edited by Karlis, 05 August 2012 - 01:11 PM.

Hetrodoxly.

#22    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 04 August 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

We're all talking a load of hyperbole :yes: but the fact is i don't want to watch a blue belt get beat i want to watch the best who've got there through hard work and dedication.

All right, I understand that.
The way I see it is that blue belt worked hard too and that her appearance at Olympics is important to all the girls that are still treated as furniture or cattle. She is much needed precedent.
It is politics using sports again, but at least there could be something good coming out of that 80-something seconds of your life lost.
Maybe I’m too pragmatic but sport is only a game, while the freedom to play sports, in public, mind you, is the life.
So in my opinion, Wojdan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani won an immensely more important match.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#23    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,958 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Anyway, I am happy the OIC gave less fortunate sports a chance to compete no matter what religion or nationality.
It does not matter how good they are now, it will boost their confidance for the future.

Edited by Karlis, 05 August 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#24    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

View Postodas, on 04 August 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

Anyway, I am happy the OIC gave less fortunate sports a chance to compete no matter what religion or nationality.
It does not matter how good they are now, it will boost their confidance for the future.
*Snip* ... it would have smashed her confidence, you get you're fighter as many easy fights as possible taking very little steps, putting that girl in the Olympics is the equivalent to putting a 10 year old in the ring with a 15 year old, they'll never want to step into the ring again.

Edited by Karlis, 05 August 2012 - 01:29 PM.

Hetrodoxly.

#25    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 04 August 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

All right, I understand that.
The way I see it is that blue belt worked hard too and that her appearance at Olympics is important to all the girls that are still treated as furniture or cattle. She is much needed precedent.
It is politics using sports again, but at least there could be something good coming out of that 80-something seconds of your life lost.
Maybe I’m too pragmatic but sport is only a game, while the freedom to play sports, in public, mind you, is the life.
So in my opinion, Wojdan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani won an immensely more important match.
It was propaganda pushed through by Saudi princes and officials "right we have a woman in the olympics you can't criticize us anymore" i can't believe you think this as some kind of victory for women, if there had been conditions attached to it ie you send over a team of women athletes to train with ours for a season there might be a reason for celebration.

Hetrodoxly.

#26    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 05 August 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

It was propaganda pushed through by Saudi princes and officials "right we have a woman in the olympics you can't criticize us anymore" i can't believe you think this as some kind of victory for women, if there had been conditions attached to it ie you send over a team of women athletes to train with ours for a season there might be a reason for celebration.

I’d say it’s the other way around. Saudi regime has touched the Wahabi wasp nest with this and put their backwardness back in the focus. It would be smarter – from their point of view – to simply keep it all under the rug like they did so far.
You don’t think Wojdan should have stayed locked inside her home just so that we can have good/bad guys scheme intact?
It’s possible for a bad guy to do something good occasionally, out of pure opportunism, certainly not sudden enlightenment. If you are in hairy enough situation, you won’t be bothered with why someone did you a favour, you’ll seize your opportunity.  

Changes may come violently and over night, and history shows such changes are volatile and usually go down the same way they emerged.
That’s why I prefer slow but stubborn changes. Step by step, law by law, until the last mask falls down and stays down.

God willing, maybe even in my life time.    
(Nah, I’m not religious, I just enjoy the multikulti stuff. From burek to proverbs. Probably because I have my identity cast in stone so I have absolutely no fears anyone could turn me or my backyard into anything else that we are.)

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#27    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Well, somewhere along the line, this train ran off the tracks. The derailed wagons have been removed. The less-damaged posts are here; edited.

Let's keep this thread on-topic, or the topic will be closed. May I suggest that everyone who chooses to post here carefully reads the article in the OP.

Karlis -- mod team member

#28    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,958 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 05 August 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

It was propaganda pushed through by Saudi princes and officials "right we have a woman in the olympics you can't criticize us anymore" i can't believe you think this as some kind of victory for women, if there had been conditions attached to it ie you send over a team of women athletes to train with ours for a season there
might be a reason for celebration.

As far as the media has reported it was the other way arround. The IOC pushed the Saudies, using a momentum when they have a supposingly less strickt rulers. Maybe you are not quiet up to date?

And no, the girls confidence will not be shattered. She already expressed her desire to practice more and to participate in Brazil.

Also tagged with hijab, olympics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users