Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Laputa

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    sourpatchkid

sourpatchkid

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

• Spelling stuff right is cool.

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:53 AM

i know of a flying castle or two:

in the song "what is and what should never be" by led zeppelin

in the old 80's cartoon, "the lost city" there was a city of gold, and in it there was a castle that floated in the air

in the classicly sweet 8-bit Nintendo Game Rygar, there was a castle that floated in the air, its where the super impossible, throw- your- controller- and- swear- last- boss lived

it is strange that in so many obscure references i have seen a caslte that floats, but no, i do not know of any direct legends where this is a factor.

[size=4][color=#FF0000]All your base are belong to us[color=#FF0000]

#17    MeLaNgE

MeLaNgE

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

• tread lightly upon all but that which you have seen for yourself to be true

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(Byuu94 @ Nov 23 2004, 06:14 AM)
That's right, the little Laputians lol...all of them tying him to keep him tied to the ground...that's a fantastical idea...and castles in the sky are also in the greek and roman mythologies, where the gods and goddesses live. Olympia wasn't it?

Um, the little people in the book are Lilliputians. Laputa is a flying island near the end of Gulliver's travels. The island ruled over the country below, Swift used it as a satirical reference to how government was distanced from the people in England. Also there are no flying castles in greek or roman mythologies as far as I know. You're thinking of the top of Mount Olympus, which was above the clouds.

Also the book was written in English, and it is unlikely Laputa was meant to mean anything bad.

View Post

True however it could also being synical of the control of the worlds higher powers - those in power are the least favourable people to be so. Perhaps this can provide an insight into the legend - misguided power/ambition? (tying nicely into the negative connotation of the spanish translation of the name as well)

#18    Mysteryman

Mysteryman

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

• Dinosaurs were created before man. But then it is said that animals were created after Adam & Eve. That is the contrary of religion and science.

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:11 AM

I do know that a movie based on this novel of some sort from Disney is being produced "Castles In The Sky"

What makes up our planets curiosity, is what makes up the unexplained-mysteries of our planet, Earth.

Posted Image

#19    witch~hunter

witch~hunter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

• Happiness: the one thing everyone wants.

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:04 AM

No castles, but I (and many others around here) have seen the city in the sky. If you happen to be in the country at night away from city lights, and the weather is just right, you can see the lights of a neighboring town reflected off the bottom of low clouds. It appears to be a city in the sky, and will give you quite a start if you don't know what it is.

#20    AzTide

AzTide

In The Witness Protection Program

• 1,682 posts

• Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Posted 13 December 2004 - 03:11 AM

and then there is the northern lights that ancient people could have confused for city in the sky. or it's just the hollow earth people.

“He who controls the present controls the past”  George Orwell

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."  Thomas Jefferson

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

#21    koenig212003

koenig212003

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

• Wo bekomme ich einen?

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:31 PM

Does anyone else here think that Laputa is a terrible name?  If anyone else here speaks Spanish you'll know what I mean. laugh.gif

#22    IamFS

IamFS

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

• THEY'VE FORMED SOME UNHOLY ALLIANCE WITH THE BRAZILIAN COUNTERPART OF ASCAP; THE PRS!

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:04 PM

im sorry the but the idea of a caslte in the sky is jsut for jack and the beanstalk, and mario brothers.

#23    Athenian

Athenian

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

• Those who fear the coming Apocalypse, Thou are my enemy.

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:18 PM

History is full of mysterious and mythical lost cities and citadels...
A castle in the sky could mean a castle on a mountain or a castle that floats around like a space ship.
It is all possible, Machu Picchu is a good example...

A flying castle like "Laputa" could have been an alien mothership of some sort that natives saw thousands of years ago...

We still have yet to find El Dorado...
Hail Pizarro!  thumbsup.gif
user posted image

#24    Thundercloud

Thundercloud

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:00 PM

Particularly in more ancient times, people regarded the transfer of humankind into the next world as being of entire groups, races, or even cities.  ("Houses in Heaven", so to speak).  So it is likely that much of the history behind "castles in the sky" stemmed from that spiritual outlook.  A figure of speech relating to a house or castle that is of a divine path, rather than actually existing in the sky at the moment.

Rather like how people related to a person who spoke words of knowledge that were too profound for simple folk...as rather them having snakes comming out of their head.  So the wrong interpretation of someone in a book called "Medusa" would certainly make good fodder for pre-'stage and screen' entertainment.

#25    Mysteryman

Mysteryman

Psychic Spy

• 1,868 posts

• Dinosaurs were created before man. But then it is said that animals were created after Adam & Eve. That is the contrary of religion and science.

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:36 AM

Dont believe it...I do believe in many things but this is just the bizarre...Maybe a U.F.O. possibly seen, but I do not like the name of it.

And I'm not Spanish but I'm very well at it..
Laputa = La puta = The hore...
Where'd they get that name from!?

What makes up our planets curiosity, is what makes up the unexplained-mysteries of our planet, Earth.

Posted Image

#26    koenig212003

koenig212003

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

• Wo bekomme ich einen?

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE(Mysteryman @ Dec 13 2004, 09:36 PM)
Dont believe it...I do believe in many things but this is just the bizarre...Maybe a U.F.O. possibly seen, but I do not like the name of it.

And I'm not Spanish but I'm very well at it..
Laputa = La puta = The hore...
Where'd they get that name from!?

View Post

Yay someone else finally got it!  Yep thats a terrible name.  They should rename it unless its in "the bad part of the sky".  If you know what I mean...

#27    Mysteryman

Mysteryman

Psychic Spy

• 1,868 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:49 AM

Hahaha, gotchya...But I'm sure they didn't mean to name it in the way of using this horrible name...They probably didn't even know the name existed or would soon exist...But I do agree with you, it is a horrible name...

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users