Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Behemoth Black Hole Found in Unlikely Place

Waspie_Dwarf

Behemoth Black Hole Found in an Unlikely Place

Astronomers have uncovered a near-record breaking supermassive black hole, weighing 17 billion suns, in an unlikely place: in the center of a galaxy in a sparsely populated area of the universe. The observations, made by NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope and the Gemini Telescope in Hawaii, may indicate that these monster objects may be more common than once thought.

Until now, the biggest supermassive black holes – those roughly 10 billion times the mass of our sun – have been found at the cores of very large galaxies in regions of the universe packed with other large galaxies. In fact, the current record holder tips the scale at 21 billion suns and resides in the crowded Coma galaxy cluster that consists of over 1,000 galaxies.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• LucidElement

How far is 300 million light years? I mean how do i fathom that in regular time/years? at what speed do you need to travel?

How far is 300 million light years? I mean how do i fathom that in regular time/years? at what speed do you need to travel?

A light year is the distance light travels in one year.

The speed of light is around 186,000 miles per second (300,000 kps)

So one light year is around 5,897,000,000,000 miles (9,460,500,000,000 km)

So 300 million light years is around 1,770,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles (2,847,000,000,000,000,000,000 km)