Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"A Haunting in Georgia"

Nxt2Hvn

Hello All -

Thanks for all the greeting from Friday and the weekend - since I am a newbie here. Made me feel welcome.

I was just wondering if anyone here watched "A Haunting in Georgia" on TLC or either it was the Discovery Channel. (can't remember)

Anyway ... it was about a little girl with the ability to see ghosts...( the sixth sense I suppose although it was never mentioned).

But the ghosts also started physically attacking other family members. It was very interesting... couldn't tear myself from the T.V. screen.

Just thought I would share.

Nxt2Hvn grin2.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IdahoGhostHunter

• a**A_9

• JustNormal

• ghost_fanatic_chic16

Hi Nxt wink2.gif

Yep - saw it a little while ago on Living. On th ewhole I found it way too dramatic..........except the beginning with the nice old man who was nice to the little girl.

Have you seen the one on Conneticut?

Hammy x x x

Ham...

Nope .. I haven't heard of one in Connecticut... but would like to.

I agree with you on the whold "drama" thing in the "A Haunting in Georgia".. and I forgot to mention that it was also featured on Unsolved Mysteries last week.. but it didn't go into detail like the Special on TLC. But it was about the same family .. I believe it was the Wyrick Family and the little girl's name was Heidi.

I did see one on another family that had a ghost following them... it was a fairly well off family and the demon went after their oldest son... is that the one in Connecticut?

Thanks for responding!

Nxt2Hvn thumbsup.gif

Yeah ~ I think that was the one!

I think US TV seems to over-do many of these programmes in an attempt to sensationalise them. It makes me highly suspicious and extremely sceptical wink2.gif

Have you seen Most Haunted? It's hilarious! Lots of screaming and running about! Great fun! The hostess is a tiny little thing and she makes me laugh out loud. They've also captured some prety scarey stuff on film too........

Hammy x x x

Yeah I saw that one, saw it twice actually. I live in Columbus Ga. right outside the town that the Wyrick family lives in. The town they are from is I think Hamilton Ga or it may be Waverly Hall anyways it's a rural extention of Columbus really...

I met the Aunt that is featured in the show last year when it was 1st aired. I waited on her like a week after I saw it. She said that the youngest daughter is still seeing spirits herself and that everything in the show was true. She was a very nice lady and was pleased that she'd met someone that didn't think her family was full of freaks.

Anyways that's my 2 cents.

I saw that show awhile back when it first aired. I found really good. My fiancee and I noticed that the church they went to in it is part of the PCoG (Pentacostal Church of God) which our church is also part of. Other then that they did kinda over do some of it. I had fun with my fiancee during commercials for it though. They had just gotten done talking about the little girl seeing the hooded black figure, and my fiancee had me walk her to the bathroom; those shows give her he creeps. Anyways so I walked her there and turned the hall light on. Then after she went into the bathroom and closed the door I went to the hall closet and put a black sheet over me. I turned off the hall light and stood deathly still in front of the bathroom door. It opened a crack, and she peered out of the door slowly. She saw this black figure (hehe me) standing there and in a really funny delayed scream, she got this scared look on her face and screamed bloody murder. laugh.gifdevil.gif

It was fun....

I saw that last week and have seen it before. It was kinda creepy after the girl started seeing the figure in the black hood. or the man with blood on his shirt. great show.

• 2 months later...

I actually saw them both! The one in CT was really scary though, I think I saw that one on the discovery channel. But either way they were both pretty freaky! ohmy.gif

• 9 months later...

My family and I watched the show, which ended about 15 minutes ago, and we are pretty apalled that while many of the people were on the right track, nobody said what was really neded to be said to the family. It also angers me that the show leaves the viewer with the assumption that nothing can be done about it.

What needed to be said was that the spirits are not in control. Had somebody with true experience in this matter been able to help the Wyrick family, this would be a major topic. Why did nobody tell the spirits to leave? Why did they let the spirits manipulate them through fear? And why did they let Mrs. Wyrick's ignorance lead her to her conclusions?

Of all the people in the family, Heidi and her mother are the ones who are best suited for taking care of this. Obviously, Heidi has the insight to determine the nature of a spirit. The lady psychic (I've regretfully forgotten her name) even determined that there were plenty of benign spirits, some of which she described as "protectors." The second medium to visit the house also described a protector at work.

In my experience, I've seen that everybody has several of these guardian spirits with them at any given time. One thing the family needs to know is that you can talk to them any time. Ask for their help, and they come in droves.

Guardian spirits can nullify wayward spirits.. but the family needs to know something else. When it comes down to it, it is our task of removing lost souls from our domain. In most cases, asserting that the house is not theirs anymore works. Telling them to leave you along is the easiest thing you can do, and it works. In this particular case, some of the spirits have caused physical harm to the family - which is unacceptible.

These particular spirits may not find their way on their own. I've witnessed a case like this in which a man shouted at a poltergeist in the name of Jesus Christ, and immediately the spirit resigned.

But of all the people in the show, NOBODY gave them any real help. I so wish I could contact the family about this in person. You should never let a violent spirit put fear into your life.

The one in Connecticut is based on the book In A Dark Place by Ray Garton with Carmer and Al Snedeker.....

I dunno if it's real or not, I just thought it was an interesting story tongue.gif

The "Gordy" stories was a segment on Unsolved Mysteries, and is featured on their new ghost dvd set original.gif

I enjoyed Bitmap's comments very much, and agree whole-heartedly. One thing to keep in mind when watching these shows is that they can alter significantly from the facts (or at least the facts as we know them from books or reported accounts through the media) If they were able to rid themselves of spirits, and with relative ease, it wouldn't be much of a movie.

Edited by Mel

One thing to keep in mind when watching these shows is that they can alter significantly from the facts (or at least the facts as we know them from books or reported accounts through the media) If they were able to rid themselves of spirits, and with relative ease, it wouldn't be much of a movie.

In the other special, A Haunting in Connecticut (and in the book) the family does get rid of the "spirits," so I don't think you are right in saying they are altering the ending just to get a beter story out of it....

One thing to keep in mind when watching these shows is that they can alter significantly from the facts (or at least the facts as we know them from books or reported accounts through the media) If they were able to rid themselves of spirits, and with relative ease, it wouldn't be much of a movie.

In the other special, A Haunting in Connecticut (and in the book) the family does get rid of the "spirits," so I don't think you are right in saying they are altering the ending just to get a beter story out of it....

339689[/snapback]

Do you think the Connecicut movie followed the book closely?

Hello,

I'm a newbie too, just writing to say hello. This is a great site!

I really enjoyed both Haunting in Connecticut and Haunting in Georgia last weekend--I had seen the Georgia one before, and I remember when Unsolved Mysteries did the segment on Heidi many years ago.

I'm also wondering: in the Haunting of Georgia, at the end of the show, Heidi is filmed playing the piano. Does anyone have any idea what piece that is she's playing? It was pretty and creepy at the same time.

Thanks!

Yes I have seen this show and I have seen it a year ago as well as this october just before halloween. I also seen the show on the Haunting in Connecticut. I think the haunting in Connecticut was more creepy than the one in georgia but both were very good. When the warrens came to the house in Connecticut to investigate and the catholic priest came to bless the house I think that part of the program was very creepy. Especially when the mother and young girl were levitated and thrown in the air and against the wall my the demonic evil spirit/demon. Both truel real life stories were interesting to watch. mellow.gifwhistling2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just viewed 'A Haunting In Conneticut' for the first time, last night.

Although I have an open mind on the paranormal, this particular incident sounded like a huge hoax. And the Snedecker's certainley had the motivation, being financially in dire straits with a '2" stack of medical bills daily'.

The husband remarks 'the house was so big you could get lost in it'.

The statement implies there were more rooms than a conventional home had. One can assume you can't get lost in a living room or dining room or kitchen. So how is it that there are only two bedrooms neccessiating the eldest boys sleep in the basement? And where did this houseguest, Debbie stay ?

Wouldn't it be a reasonable assumption that the parents would of switched bedrooms with the boys, early on, considering the trama and that one son was suffering from cancer !

And how about that paranormal investigater who sees a demon in the basement. According to the documentary the dude has plenty of time to grab a camera to take photographic evidence, but no, he acts like a baby (just because room temperature drops) , and calls to the sleeping people in the other room, then wanders over to the basement door and opens it. Whallah, a demon.

Give me a break. No paranormal investigater worth his salt would have missed a photo op like that, nor leave the home in fear.

One can't apply common sense to the paranormal but one can certainley apply common sense to individuals stories of haunting, for credibility sake. The Snedecker's tale, and that particular team hired to research the house contain too many 'booboo's'.

As far as the Catholic Church not commenting I can't be suprised. Ha, they recently announced they were going to investigate the Inquistion. Perhaps in the year 3004 they will announce they are going to research why they were performing exoricisms in the late 19th century too.

And lastly, the Snedecker's move out of the house after a 'succesful exorcism is performed.' Sure. And I have some swamp land I would like to sell .

Montanamistress

I've seen the Haunting in Conneticut its such a good story! does anyone know or have an idea when this even happend? and how old was that paul kid wacko.gif haha i havent watched the haunting in georgia but im looking forward to see it =D i've just seen it on unsolved mysteries but it didnt even say much detail

Edited by vanessajane

I've seen the Haunting in Conneticut its such a good story! does anyone know or have an idea when this even happend? and how old was that paul kid  wacko.gif  haha i havent watched the haunting in georgia but im looking forward to see it =D i've just seen it on unsolved mysteries but it didnt even say much detail

357518[/snapback]

There is a hard to find, out of print book about the story called In A Dark Place by Ed and Lorraine Warren and Carmen and AL Snedeker (the family's real name---why they were anonymous in the tv show I have no idea) written by Ray Garton. Stephen (Paul) was 14 when it started happening, and I think it happened around 1986 (the book was published in 1992).