Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Occum's Razor = some Crop Circles are 'real'

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#16    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,030 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

View Postlaver, on 09 January 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

Just a tip, I think the lady has a bit of thing about one of the Fraser bros !

Another tip, that was sexist and irrelevant to the subject. :)

#17    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 33,588 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

View Postlaver, on 09 January 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

The science world looking for some possible human reason for the microwave evidence

Link to the science investigation and the alleged microwave evidence please.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#18    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 January 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

"No references seemed necessary, it has been known for years"

Oh, really. Who, What, When, Where and How?

So far, you should re-explore the concept of 'Occam's Razor'.

There is a stack of evidence at your fingertips if you would care to look at it

Occum's Razor indictes that because noone can come up with a satisfactory explanation for the evidence in
many crop circles the simple solution is the best one..............some are not of human origin

#19    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,004 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

I may be wrong, but I thought Occam's Rzor was "when you don't know the answer, the answer that requires the least number of leaps into te unknown/unknowable variables is the most likely".

As "somw are by aliens" requires not only aliens to exist (almost a ceetainty), for them to be coming here (which is somewhat implausivle, with little in te wzy of verriied evidence) and hat while here they leave grafitti n fields of wheat.

te "they're all by humans" argument requires humans to be clever and a little maicious, I think we an all agree upin the certibty of both of those assumptions.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#20    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

This is what Occam did when he got bored explaining his principle for the Xth time:

Posted Image

And all done with a razor.

Believe me, it's true.

#21    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 09 January 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

Not sure if you understand the difference of implausibility between human generated crop circles and advanced aliens travelling the cosmos to draw circles in the grass AKA pee in the snow. I've always wondered what it feels like to thumb my nose at logic like that.

Skip aliens for a mo and think spiritual. If we have crop designs that defy human logic we are probably getting them for a reason and to ignore that possibility might be a great folly. Even our scientists now question the probability of our planet being a source of life without some assistance, so some sort of spiritual involvement should not be ruled out in a genuine quest for the truth... who knows?

#22    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,004 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 January 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

I didn't mean it to be sexist, just pkayful.
I'm sorry if it came off as offensive, I'm not very good at judging how people will react to the tnings I say.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#23    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 January 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

I didn't mean it to be sexist, just pkayful.
I'm sorry if it came off as offensive, I'm not very good at judging how people will react to the tnings I say.

No problem at all W O H, I am sure the lady took it as a compliment, at least I hope so or we live in a sad world

#24    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,848 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

View Postlaver, on 09 January 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

Skip aliens for a mo and think spiritual. If we have crop designs that defy human logic we are probably getting them for a reason and to ignore that possibility might be a great folly. Even our scientists now question the probability of our planet being a source of life without some assistance, so some sort of spiritual involvement should not be ruled out in a genuine quest for the truth... who knows?
Our scientists what now?

Please expand... ;)

Also the OP is wrong. Humans are by far the simplest and most logical explanation.

Posted Image

#25    SwampgasBalloonBoy

SwampgasBalloonBoy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 January 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

The plants were tired and needed a nap. Occam's Razor.

Do plants even get tired? They stay in one place, seemed to be doing nothing. Can you even get tired from doing nothing? Although, they do have to fight the wind... :hmm:

#26    SwampgasBalloonBoy

SwampgasBalloonBoy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 January 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

She does change AV like a girl changes clothes :D

#27    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,260 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

View Postlaver, on 09 January 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

Occum's Razor indictes that because noone can come up with a satisfactory explanation for the evidence in
many crop circles the simple solution is the best one..............some are not of human origin
Occam's Razor says no such thing.

Occam's Razor says that it's generally a bad idea to postulate the existence of something unproven and unknown to explain something else for which you don't have an explanation for.

Which is exactly what  you are doing - you are arguing that some crop circles don't have a proven explanation in terms of the known, therefore there must be an unknown non-human intelligence responsible.  That is exactly what Occam's Razor suggests you should not do - asserting the existence of some unknown complex phenomenon (non-human intelligence) to explain a known and less-complex phenomenon (certain crop circles).

You have entirely misunderstood and misapplied Occam's principle.

Edited by Archimedes, 09 January 2013 - 06:24 AM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#28    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 09 January 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

really nice Damascus steel on that razor, :tsu:

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#29    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 09 January 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

Our scientists what now?

Please expand... ;)

Also the OP is wrong. Humans are by far the simplest and most logical explanation.

But it does not stack up. Science has been trying to disprove the evidence in crop designs for years and have now come up with a
totally implausable theory that humans run around at night in the dark with some sort of microwave device complete with batteries or generators
to try and replicate the evidence of microwave effects on the crops. It is a laughable suggestion if you think of the practical implications in southern Britain
which is the focal point of crop circle activity and where these designs have appeared with no evident human involvement in very short spaces of time. So
it is not true and Occum's Razor needs true evidence as Newton said. No true evidence that explains the phenomena as human = non human creation of some of these
designs

#30    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,030 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

Back to the OP.

"Apply the principle of Occum's Razor and some Crop Designs cannot be of human origin"

Name one. And if you go back to the 'PI circle', you should go back to the answers that were given to in the original thread that you posited.

What is different about this thread, than the last one that you opened?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users