Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Taking a Bigfoot alive.


  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#16    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

I've thought about traps and in order to make a trap work a couple things have to happen. 1) You have to know where one is going to be in order to set up a trap to have any probability of success. 2) You have to set up this trap leaving no scent or obvious disturbance to the area so as to make a Bigfoot suspicious. 3) There is the possibility of baiting a trap, but then that might seem suspicious to a Bigfoot as well.......but I haven't a clue if it would or not.

Then come the other questions, what kind of trap? A big box with a trap door? A drop net? A slide net with a clinch? I'd rule out a dead fall trap as digging one in a rocky area would mean you'd need a back hoe.........just a wee bit noisy and smelly if you ask me. Now the only serious possibility would be a cable loop trap much like poachers use to capture elephants, a Biggy trips the trap, a cable cinches around his or her ankle and then hoists them up in the air at least high enough they can't get loose. Then you have to deal with one large, extremely teed off, strong, thing to try and deal with along with whatever family group or mate might happen to be close by who's going to take exception to screwing with it's mate or offspring like that.

Personally, the darting thing just bothers me because you need drugs and those drugs have to be administered via a veterinarian or at least set up for dosages by a vet and the first things the vet is going to ask is, what species and what weight? Nether of which I can give him or her a proper answer for, assuming when I tell him I want to dart a Bigfoot he doesn't though my old shriveled up behind out of his office.

So it isn't getting any easier.


#17    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,188 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

  • Ah, but I was so much older then,
    I'm younger than that now. Dylan

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'm seeing different scenarios here. The scenario in your OP, I believe, is how could an "everyday person" capture this creature alive to prove it's existence to a highly skeptical scientific community.
A second scenario would involve "everyday men" and a millionaire.
And yet another scenario (hey, it's bf ),  would involve the participation of mainstream scientists, their equipment, expertise, plus miraculously sufficient funding.

Since we are speculating an actual Bf is out there for our capture, I still have to go with habituation sites. The sites would offer all kinds of advantages for capture, especially if you established a habituation site for the sole purpose of one day capturing the creatures who visit. You could pre-plan: location, a feeding schedule, a trap already on site for the creature to get used to, figure out what  animal you are dealing with through the use of cameras to better assess what type of tranquilizers, restraints, transportation to use.

Probably like it sounds they claimed happened with "Daisy".

Edited by QuiteContrary, 16 January 2013 - 08:27 AM.

"That was definitely a bigfoot, you could tell by the bear-shaped body" YT poster

#18    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Oh I completely agree that there are any number of possible scenarios including just plain dumb luck. A guy driving his oversize dually truck to work one morning slams into one and injures it severely enough that it can't escape. I'm thinking breaking the legs. Or even kill it outright. You can't discount such a thing actually happening.

Now, there was a millionaire who began funding a guy to do Bigfoot research, actually I think he was looking for the Yeti....Tom Slick (what a name?). Unfortunately he died before anything could really get off the ground from a heart attack I think it was. Having done a few things in my life, military service, hiking, hunting and being an engineer I can tell you that logistics on something like this would be a nightmare. If you put together a team, say of six highly motivated people, you need at least twenty people working in the back ground supporting them. Seriously, you would. Now, not all of them all at the same time but half that number doing things like scheduling, planing, food and it's preparation, keeping the base camp secure, you'd need a legal team. You'd need someone in coordinate medical care in case someone got hurt. Transportation, equipment. Now volunteers would be great but for the most part you're going to need some good people who will keep their mouths shut and not be blabbing all over the web.......and speaking of the web, you're going to need someone to run a website, take reports from people and their possible sightings then send people out to investigate them to see if the sighting is worth send out your hunt team.

So, yeah I can see this thing growing by leaps and bounds easily in order to do it right. It's my own personal belief.......and this is a little out in left field, but assuming Bigfoot is real I think it'll be found in the southeastern section of the US. Most likely in the mountains ranging from West Virginia down through Northern Alabama. Granted, it pseudo-scientific wild assed guess really and probably more wishful thinking than anything else.

Personally, I would love to be able to devote some time to looking for the critter. Unfortunately, my ability to do so financially are severely limited and while I don't like seeing groups selling tee shirts and "excursions" and giving seminars for money, I can understand the need for cash to make it happen. Well, unless I win the lottery or get lucky like Jodie Fosters character in "Contact" and suddenly have a rich billionaire decide to give me Carte Blanc and cover my cost and pay me a salary. Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon. However.......I could win the lottery, hit it big and just quietly go out looking, maybe pick up a couple people along the way.


#19    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 14,822 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 16 January 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

I've thought about traps and in order to make a trap work a couple things have to happen. 1) You have to know where one is going to be in order to set up a trap to have any probability of success. 2) You have to set up this trap leaving no scent or obvious disturbance to the area so as to make a Bigfoot suspicious. 3) There is the possibility of baiting a trap, but then that might seem suspicious to a Bigfoot as well.......but I haven't a clue if it would or not.

Then come the other questions, what kind of trap? A big box with a trap door? A drop net? A slide net with a clinch? I'd rule out a dead fall trap as digging one in a rocky area would mean you'd need a back hoe.........just a wee bit noisy and smelly if you ask me. Now the only serious possibility would be a cable loop trap much like poachers use to capture elephants, a Biggy trips the trap, a cable cinches around his or her ankle and then hoists them up in the air at least high enough they can't get loose. Then you have to deal with one large, extremely teed off, strong, thing to try and deal with along with whatever family group or mate might happen to be close by who's going to take exception to screwing with it's mate or offspring like that.

Personally, the darting thing just bothers me because you need drugs and those drugs have to be administered via a veterinarian or at least set up for dosages by a vet and the first things the vet is going to ask is, what species and what weight? Nether of which I can give him or her a proper answer for, assuming when I tell him I want to dart a Bigfoot he doesn't though my old shriveled up behind out of his office.

So it isn't getting any easier.
Yet bigfoot supposedly will investigate abandoned camp sites, or even camp sites where people are sleeping, or sitting around a fire. So I think even if you leave human scent, or other evidence around, if you disquised it as something else, like a campsite, then you could still bring in the BF.

Finding a site to set up a trap is probably the same in difficulty as finding a site where you can tazer or drug a BF. Plus with shooting at BF, you have to actually be there, and supposedly BF can sense people very well.

Maybe a very heavy drag net trap, hidden inside a tent, powered by log counterweights. Bigfoot comes into "abandoned" camp to investigate, touches the wrong object, releases the levers to the counterweights and BLAM!! The net pushes the tent aside, opening out into a twenty foot wide square and falling over and pinning the BF to some trees. Pinned to the trees, BF is not able to get leverage on the net, or run away and so is trapped. :clap:

I don't care how strong BF is, with quarter inch webbed netting, he is not going to tear through it. And with several 2000+ pound logs holding the ropes, he's not getting away based only on strength.

Edited by DieChecker, 16 January 2013 - 08:33 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#20    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

    Heatseeker

  • Member
  • 9,586 posts
  • Joined:19 Dec 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Avengers Tower

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Leave a jug 'o moonshine out there and get him drunk.  Then drag him away while he's sleeping it off.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#21    Stardrive

Stardrive

    Resident Bass Guitarist

  • Member
  • 3,079 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

1/2 gallon of blueberry shine should do the trick. The only hard part would be convincing it that it's stealing it.

Posted Image

#22    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Awwwwww! You guys.

:w00t:


#23    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,188 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

  • Ah, but I was so much older then,
    I'm younger than that now. Dylan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Bigfoot as Moonshine Operation guard dogs.
I'm sure that one's been proposed somewhere...

You don't come between a Foot and his Still.

"That was definitely a bigfoot, you could tell by the bear-shaped body" YT poster

#24    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 16 January 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Yet bigfoot supposedly will investigate abandoned camp sites, or even camp sites where people are sleeping, or sitting around a fire. So I think even if you leave human scent, or other evidence around, if you disquised it as something else, like a campsite, then you could still bring in the BF.

Finding a site to set up a trap is probably the same in difficulty as finding a site where you can tazer or drug a BF. Plus with shooting at BF, you have to actually be there, and supposedly BF can sense people very well.

Maybe a very heavy drag net trap, hidden inside a tent, powered by log counterweights. Bigfoot comes into "abandoned" camp to investigate, touches the wrong object, releases the levers to the counterweights and BLAM!! The net pushes the tent aside, opening out into a twenty foot wide square and falling over and pinning the BF to some trees. Pinned to the trees, BF is not able to get leverage on the net, or run away and so is trapped. :clap:

I don't care how strong BF is, with quarter inch webbed netting, he is not going to tear through it. And with several 2000+ pound logs holding the ropes, he's not getting away based only on strength.

Trouble with the net idea is it's going to take a lot of set up work and will disturb the area a lot. I think I'd go with the leg cinch and hang him/her upside down. Of course then you'd have a very agitated Bigfoot ready to attack anything approaching it with telepathy, odor and fecal matter. Of course if he's drunk then the whole thing might be a lot easier.........blueberry moonshine?........Hmmmmm?

Edited by keninsc, 17 January 2013 - 04:29 AM.


#25    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,188 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

  • Ah, but I was so much older then,
    I'm younger than that now. Dylan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 17 January 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

Trouble with the net idea is it's going to take a lot of set up work and will disturb the area a lot. I think I'd go with the leg cinch and hang him/her upside down. Of course then you'd have a very agitated Bigfoot ready to attack anything approaching it with telepathy, odor and fecal matter.

Lol...Now there's a viral Youtube video. :w00t:

Edited by QuiteContrary, 17 January 2013 - 08:43 AM.

"That was definitely a bigfoot, you could tell by the bear-shaped body" YT poster

#26    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Oh yeah, the video rights alone on that will be worth millions.

:yes:

Edited by keninsc, 17 January 2013 - 08:55 AM.


#27    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 11,306 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Bigfoot alive....

A large pit fall trap. ( Google it )

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#28    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

:no:


#29    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 11,306 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

Posted Image





If it can be done with a Hippo, it can be done with a Bif.....  :yes:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#30    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 14,822 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostSakari, on 23 January 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

Posted Image


If it can be done with a Hippo, it can be done with a Bif.....  :yes:
I'd probably put a trigger plate at the bottom, so when 500+ pound BF falls in, a reinforced lid would slide out over the pit. It is a lot harder to climb out if you can't grab the rim.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users