Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are the health risks of space travel?

Waspie_Dwarf

Secret Space Plane Just Launched on a Mystery Mission

Astronauts are limited to spending six months on the International Space Station, around 200 miles above Earth, for a good reason.

The loss of bone and muscle mass they experience in space is so profound that they cannot stay any longer.

But what about the health impact of forthcoming suborbital flights for space tourists who are not fit, highly-trained individuals?

According to North American scientists writing in the British Medical Journal article, GPs should be prepared to answer patients' queries about their suitability for space travel in the near future.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

I received a Christmas gift when I was 42 to go up in a vintage WWII trainer aircraft for 30 minutes. It was a 600 HP "Texan" two seater and the pilot took me through multiple aileron rolls, barrel roll and other moves that nearly simulated weightlessness. About 3 weeks after this adventure I noticed the veins in my lower legs swelling horribly. I had valve damage from the pressure of all the acrobatics. And that was just a piston engine plane.

• Like 1

I know I'm not a candidate for space flight, I get sick standing on a dock looking at a boat. Can they fix your damage? That would s**k.

I think my first concern would be the 5,625,000 pounds of really angry rocket fuel sloshing around just a few hundred feet from my butt!

• Like 1

There's something with ageing slowing down and eyesight loss isn't their?

I received a Christmas gift when I was 42 to go up in a vintage WWII trainer aircraft for 30 minutes. It was a 600 HP "Texan" two seater and the pilot took me through multiple aileron rolls, barrel roll and other moves that nearly simulated weightlessness. About 3 weeks after this adventure I noticed the veins in my lower legs swelling horribly. I had valve damage from the pressure of all the acrobatics. And that was just a piston engine plane.

AT, I think that possibly the flight exacerbated a preexisting condition rather than causing a new one. I flew navy fighters for years and pulled multiple G's and zero G's (weightlessness) many times and never damaged anything.

The physical effects of space travel is of major concern for long duration missions.

At least for ISS missions the voyage up and down is planned down to the last minute.

The article in the OP really only touches on the subject. Astronauts also frequently suffer vision problems after a long mission.

Imagine a mission to Mars. In the ISS, astronauts have room to exercise and move around. Incorporating that into a spaceflight to Mars would increase cost tremendously.

Then there's the health risks aside from just the effects of 0 g's. What if they get sick? As was done with Apollo missions, the astronauts went into isolation for a period before flight to protect against infectious disease. But there are thousands of things that can go wrong healthwise that are not related to any pathogens entering the body.

I can't see a manned mission to Mars happening until we see astronauts spending at least 18 months in the ISS, with few, if any, health concerns.

The physical effects of space travel is of major concern for long duration missions.

The article isn't really about the health hazards faced by professional astronauts on long duration flights. It is about the hazards faced by the general public once space is opened up to tourism, and the fact that most doctors will not have any training in those potential hazards.

• Like 1

At least for ISS missions the voyage up and down is planned down to the last minute.

The article in the OP really only touches on the subject. Astronauts also frequently suffer vision problems after a long mission.

Imagine a mission to Mars. In the ISS, astronauts have room to exercise and move around. Incorporating that into a spaceflight to Mars would increase cost tremendously.

Then there's the health risks aside from just the effects of 0 g's. What if they get sick? As was done with Apollo missions, the astronauts went into isolation for a period before flight to protect against infectious disease. But there are thousands of things that can go wrong healthwise that are not related to any pathogens entering the body.

I can't see a manned mission to Mars happening until we see astronauts spending at least 18 months in the ISS, with few, if any, health concerns.

I agree. The weak point in manned space exploration is the human body. We have to have a gravity environment to make extended stays in space viable.

I agree. The weak point in manned space exploration is the human body. We have to have a gravity environment to make extended stays in space viable.

That is still not fully known. Astronauts may suffer issues after long term flights but usually recover very quickly after returning to Earth. What is not known is if there is a point where the body stabilises and no further bone loss occurs. If that is the case a 5 year mission may cause no more problems that a one year mission. If on the other hand the body continues to deteriorate or there is a point from which the body can no longer return to full health then some form of artificial gravity will be essential.

It is to research these issues that a NASA astronaut and a Russian cosmonaut will spend one year on board the ISS in 2015.

• Like 1

well two immediate issues i can see are lack of natural oxygen and hey it's a long way down if you have engine trouble lol

seriously though, i can't imagine ever wanting to go into space even if it were perfectly safe.

NASA asked me if I wanted to go into space a few years ago. I was amazed because I'd no experience at all. I asked them why they wanted me and the nice man replied, "Well, we figured if you come back OK, we'll know it's safe to send monkeys!"

• Like 6

NASA asked me if I wanted to go into space a few years ago. I was amazed because I'd no experience at all. I asked them why they wanted me and the nice man replied, "Well, we figured if you come back OK, we'll know it's safe to send monkeys!"

you must have felt so honored lol

• Like 1

you must have felt so honored lol

Well yes, but I'm not awfully keen on bananas. (I do know how to spell 'banananas' - I just don't know when to stop! s9666.gif

• Like 1

It would be Virgin on the ridiculous if any potential space tourists didn't get a check-up.

Tbh anybody with heart problems shouldn't board despite a huge chequebook.

But I would love the maiden flight to be full of flat-earthers and destroy their movement in one fell swoop.

Then they will realise they have been spouting a lot of hot air in the last few years.

If it was me I will definetly flunk all the tests and that's before the rotating thingiemebob.

However if I passed with flying colours this isn't exactly the crash diet I was looking for.

With trips in to space soon to become the norm

Umm, define 'soon'.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Cabin fever must be something they considered. In space, no one can hear you when you go stir crazy

This is where the sensory deprivation chamber comes in handy.

If you get used to be isolated for long periods of time you could well adjust to space travel.

I can't well speak for the rest of the space travellers but it's a good starting point.

Tbh you need a whole plethora of tests to get used to the rigours of space.

As long as there's no xenomorphs in the cargo hold our intrepid spacegoers will be OK.

Umm, define 'soon'.

Within the next two years in the case of Virgin Galactic.

The cost of going up on Virgin Galactic is 200K. So I don't think the list of passengers will be a long one.

Edited by mfrmboy

The cost of going up on Virgin Galactic is 200K. So I don't think the list of passengers will be a long one.

Actually they are fully booked for several years, but that is not the point. When transatlantic air-travel started it was for the very rich only, but it didn't take long for the prices to be within the reach of the moderately wealth and then the ordinary person. The same could very easily happen with space tourism, especially one Virgins competitors are fully up and running.

Within the next two years in the case of Virgin Galactic.

Yeah I'm aware of the coming trips to space, but this is hardly them becoming the 'norm'. That phrase suggests it'll be like jumping on a flight to Australia or something. We're still quite some time away from that; from it becoming the 'norm'. Decades, probably.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Yeah I'm aware of the coming trips to space, but this is hardly them becoming the 'norm'. That phrase suggests it'll be like jumping on a flight to Australia or something. We're still quite some time away from that; from it becoming the 'norm'. Decades, probably.

Well if you are going to pick one phrase from a long article, out of context what do you expect?

From the article:

Dr David Green, senior lecturer in human and aerospace physiology at Kings College London, predicts that in the next two years or so significant numbers of people will be taking up places on suborbital flights in a specially-designed spacecraft.

No where is it suggested that this will be "the norm", that is just your misinterpretation.

Well if you are going to pick one phrase from a long article, out of context what do you expect?

From the article:

No where is it suggested that this will be "the norm", that is just your misinterpretation.

Follow the link http://www.unexplain...s.php?id=239371

The sub-heading there reads: 'With trips in to space soon to become the norm, what health risks should space tourists be aware of ?'

I'm not sure who added that claim to the post but it exists, and therefore is fair game to be challenged, no?

Edited by ExpandMyMind