Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Goatman/Satyr?

heather the fileseeker

So I was recently on a horseback camping trip with a good friend of mine. It was a 2 night trip in northern SK.

We had planned this way back around christmas, we'd assumed the snow would be completely gone, but our trail was really damn cold/slushy. So the original 3 nights was cut to 2. We saddled up our horses and headed out. The first tip off that this trip wouldn't be fun was our horses. My trusty old white gelding was off his rocker. He'd never been aggressive, ever. But he was wailing and bucking and biting the moment we got onto the trail. My friends horse, who was usually the energetic one, stayed completely silent and hung his head the whole way to the first stop.

When the sun started setting we found a patch of trees to make a pen around. We use this electrified cord that connects to a battery. Then when I unsaddled my boy and put him in the enclosure, he calmed down and grazed along side his buddy. While I tended the horses my friend set up the tent, and noticed that my bed roll was gone, along with my hat. This made no sense, as I had tied them to my saddle just a few minutes ago. So I looked around and couldn't find them near us. Then I went back to my saddle and noticed that the leather cord that tied the items down had been crudely sawed in half. I thought it had snapped along the trail, and that I was going crazy and didn't put my hat there. I walked up from the small valley we were in and looked around. I found my hat about 80 feet from where we had followed the trail in. I had thought it maybe flew away when I was riding...until I picked it up. It STANK. Really, really badly. It smelled like a mix of burnt hair and rotten milk. I held it far away from me and went back to the camp. When I got there, my friend said that he left to chop wood, came back, and the boots he left outside of the tent were moved and stank too. With the same smell. By this point we assumed a skunk was around. But it did not smell like skunk, my friend pointed out. Indeed, it was waaayy more putrid. It was so bad we resorted to piling snow on the items just to block the stink. My friend began getting scared wondering if an infected wolf was out there. I laughed because I knew this area well, and no wolves live around the area(too many farmers with shotguns). Besides that, no animal but something like a skunk would so thoroughly stink up the place. I thought it may had been a small animal that was sick marking it's territory. I've seen coyotes do similar things. But coyotes would never come that close to humans/foreign objects. But we dismissed it as harmless and went to bed.

The next morning we saddled up the horses and noticed that my friend's mare was covered in leaves. But they stuck to her skin with what looked like tree sap. She got really angry when we peeled them off, even trying to bite me, as if she was protecting them. We looked around and couldn't find any sap leaking, and my horse was still clean. This was the point when my friend brought up woodland creatures/spirits and how they're known to do this. I really don't like to believe in such things, but the way that his horse had protected the leaves and was licking at the sap made me wonder. It'd be nice if it was a good omen, because my stinky hat certainly was not. My poor friend had to wear those boots,too. Ick. But we rode on and set up another camp the next night.

We settled in without anything unusual, the horses were calm, the wind had settled, and the stench had almost gone from our stuff. But then I went to the bathroom at about 3am, and before I turned behind a tree I smelled the same smell as before. I was nervous now, because whatever was making that smell had followed us. I was really scared that it may have been a cougar that wandered too far south because of the long winter. I went back and grabbed the small hunting rifle we brought, and told my friend were I was going. Because damn it, if I gotta pee, I'm gonna! I went around a tree and finished my business, then got back up and looked around, gun on hip. A shadow moved slowly behind a tree about 40-60 feet away. I hummed lowly, hoping to hear it move/breath so I could figure out what it was. The thing perfectly echoed my melody, but it had a gutteral sound to it. Okay, definitely not a cougar. But my heart began to pound as I realized nothing could do that but a person. I yelled a "who's there" and then the rot smell came back. So strong that I began to heave. My friend was calling out from the cabin for me. I kept my eyes on the tree the thing stood behind and called out again, covering my nose. The leaves crunched and it hummed again. I was beginning to cry and back up towards the tent. The horses were letting out really low,rumbling nickers. Which made me more uncomfortable because horses only do that when they're happy. And I certainly wasn't. My friend ran to my side just in time for me to keel over an vomit. He also was on the verge of sickness, but he pointed the flash light around and yelled out into the trees. The thing ran, the leaves crunched behind it. And I kid you not, what I saw looked like a man, but with an animal's head. It was so dark, so I might be wrong, but dear god, I know what I think I saw.

It was about the height of a man, it's legs looked all broken and it's limbs were skinny. And it was hairy, especially on its head.

Needless to say we got the hell outta dodge after that.

Guys, what the hell did I see? My friend insisted that it's something supernatural, but he also did not see it,so I might have seen nothing. I have literally no way to explain. But I'm pretty damn sure that I saw exactly what I described. If you have theories, please share. I haven't slept well the past few days.

Either A. I saw what I saw because of my own fear, or B. Forest nymphs are in Canada.

• Like 2

Faun

So I was recently on a horseback camping trip with a good friend of mine. It was a 2 night trip in northern SK.

We had planned this way back around christmas, we'd assumed the snow would be completely gone, but our trail was really damn cold/slushy. So the original 3 nights was cut to 2. We saddled up our horses and headed out. The first tip off that this trip wouldn't be fun was our horses. My trusty old white gelding was off his rocker. He'd never been aggressive, ever. But he was wailing and bucking and biting the moment we got onto the trail. My friends horse, who was usually the energetic one, stayed completely silent and hung his head the whole way to the first stop.

When the sun started setting we found a patch of trees to make a pen around. We use this electrified cord that connects to a battery. Then when I unsaddled my boy and put him in the enclosure, he calmed down and grazed along side his buddy. While I tended the horses my friend set up the tent, and noticed that my bed roll was gone, along with my hat. This made no sense, as I had tied them to my saddle just a few minutes ago. So I looked around and couldn't find them near us. Then I went back to my saddle and noticed that the leather cord that tied the items down had been crudely sawed in half. I thought it had snapped along the trail, and that I was going crazy and didn't put my hat there. I walked up from the small valley we were in and looked around. I found my hat about 80 feet from where we had followed the trail in. I had thought it maybe flew away when I was riding...until I picked it up. It STANK. Really, really badly. It smelled like a mix of burnt hair and rotten milk. I held it far away from me and went back to the camp. When I got there, my friend said that he left to chop wood, came back, and the boots he left outside of the tent were moved and stank too. With the same smell. By this point we assumed a skunk was around. But it did not smell like skunk, my friend pointed out. Indeed, it was waaayy more putrid. It was so bad we resorted to piling snow on the items just to block the stink. My friend began getting scared wondering if an infected wolf was out there. I laughed because I knew this area well, and no wolves live around the area(too many farmers with shotguns). Besides that, no animal but something like a skunk would so thoroughly stink up the place. I thought it may had been a small animal that was sick marking it's territory. I've seen coyotes do similar things. But coyotes would never come that close to humans/foreign objects. But we dismissed it as harmless and went to bed.

The next morning we saddled up the horses and noticed that my friend's mare was covered in leaves. But they stuck to her skin with what looked like tree sap. She got really angry when we peeled them off, even trying to bite me, as if she was protecting them. We looked around and couldn't find any sap leaking, and my horse was still clean. This was the point when my friend brought up woodland creatures/spirits and how they're known to do this. I really don't like to believe in such things, but the way that his horse had protected the leaves and was licking at the sap made me wonder. It'd be nice if it was a good omen, because my stinky hat certainly was not. My poor friend had to wear those boots,too. Ick. But we rode on and set up another camp the next night.

We settled in without anything unusual, the horses were calm, the wind had settled, and the stench had almost gone from our stuff. But then I went to the bathroom at about 3am, and before I turned behind a tree I smelled the same smell as before. I was nervous now, because whatever was making that smell had followed us. I was really scared that it may have been a cougar that wandered too far south because of the long winter. I went back and grabbed the small hunting rifle we brought, and told my friend were I was going. Because damn it, if I gotta pee, I'm gonna! I went around a tree and finished my business, then got back up and looked around, gun on hip. A shadow moved slowly behind a tree about 40-60 feet away. I hummed lowly, hoping to hear it move/breath so I could figure out what it was. The thing perfectly echoed my melody, but it had a gutteral sound to it. Okay, definitely not a cougar. But my heart began to pound as I realized nothing could do that but a person. I yelled a "who's there" and then the rot smell came back. So strong that I began to heave. My friend was calling out from the cabin for me. I kept my eyes on the tree the thing stood behind and called out again, covering my nose. The leaves crunched and it hummed again. I was beginning to cry and back up towards the tent. The horses were letting out really low,rumbling nickers. Which made me more uncomfortable because horses only do that when they're happy. And I certainly wasn't. My friend ran to my side just in time for me to keel over an vomit. He also was on the verge of sickness, but he pointed the flash light around and yelled out into the trees. The thing ran, the leaves crunched behind it. And I kid you not, what I saw looked like a man, but with an animal's head. It was so dark, so I might be wrong, but dear god, I know what I think I saw.

It was about the height of a man, it's legs looked all broken and it's limbs were skinny. And it was hairy, especially on its head.

Needless to say we got the hell outta dodge after that.

Guys, what the hell did I see? My friend insisted that it's something supernatural, but he also did not see it,so I might have seen nothing. I have literally no way to explain. But I'm pretty damn sure that I saw exactly what I described. If you have theories, please share. I haven't slept well the past few days.

Either A. I saw what I saw because of my own fear, or B. Forest nymphs are in Canada.

Thanks for this cracker of an encounter. I've included it in the Two Legged Dogman Experiences Database Edited by RingFenceTheCity

Where abouts in northern SK? As a SK resident I'm rather curious. I can't give any insight as to what it might be, sorry.

That's a cool story. Satyrs have been a part of mythology for a very long time. The word was even used to describe Casanovas and Don Juans (satyrism). The figure was a symbol for promiscuous acts. This pagan symbol was transformed into an image of the devil during the Christian era. The frivolous Pan led to the sinister Baphomet. Caricatures of the devil became somewhat standard with their hooves and horns. This might have been instrumental in the propagation of the Goat Man legend. Folks claimed to see him in both Kentucky and Maryland. He's linked to alleged secret governmental experiments in the latter state. He's known as the Lake Worth Monster in Texas. You might find something that rings a bell at this site.

http://www.goatmanhollow.com/

You probably saw the outline of a sick, deformed animal.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. It looked distinctly humanoid in stature. It was the head/fur that threw me off. I'm pretty sure it had horns, although I'm not certain. But it had a very horse/goat shaped face. But it's torso and arms were entirely human.

Where abouts in northern SK? As a SK resident I'm rather curious. I can't give any insight as to what it might be, sorry.

Near black lake, just northeast.

Given the location, I honestly would say anything is a possibliity (provided you have belief in the strange and unknown). That's not a heavily populated area - especially the farther north you go. Hmmm... I'm going to have to look into this some more.

Creepy experience!

You said your horse was behaving unusually aggressive and your friends horse was quiet at the beginning of the trip, then at the camp they seemed happy and comfortable when you felt wary.

Why do you think they were so happy? Are satyrs supposed to be good with animals?

Definitely a satyr for sure :yes: . Pan the most famous them all has his name derived from 'Panic' because he used to enjoy spooking travellers and herdsmen. I think your story points to something like this. Not Pan himself but a satyr of some sort. It is the only conclusion I can come up with considering the evidence of the story.

• Like 1

Definitely a satyr for sure :yes: . Pan the most famous them all has his name derived from 'Panic' because he used to enjoy spooking travellers and herdsmen. I think your story points to something like this. Not Pan himself but a satyr of some sort. It is the only conclusion I can come up with considering the evidence of the story.

Maybe one of the forum's maenads can offer her insight into the situation. I'm always ready for a party.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. It looked distinctly humanoid in stature. It was the head/fur that threw me off. I'm pretty sure it had horns, although I'm not certain. But it had a very horse/goat shaped face. But it's torso and arms were entirely human.

Near black lake, just northeast.

horns would stick out more than anything...yet you are sure it had a completely human body? details seem sketchy...

seriously legend came from somewhere xx

Do you know if anything vaguely similar has been reported in that area?

Satyrs don't exist, so it was most likely a deer or some other woodland creature.

Edited by Blueogre2

a04-michael1.jpg

Your horse was bucking at the start & this makes me think the entity was sitting on the horse behind you; & from there it cut the strap & your stuff fell off. My guess is that it was a being sent by one of your guardians & its job was to create havock to let you both know that you're not alone & should stay on guard. The reason for this? Maybe your guardian thought you were going to be in some danger out on the trail & so took over the whole thing with a sub-human being to keep you wide awake?

I've met a lot of supernatural beings & they are harmless if you show them love. They are outside of time & space & when they come into time & space & manifest physically then our atmosphere burns where it touches their skin & it produces a terrible smell. Other beings age rapidly when they appear here & their bodies quickly start to smell rotten & look ancient or dead. They are all harmless beings of course & only come here on a mission. When you hummed the being hummed back. This shows it had high intelligence & was not a beast. It did not try to harm you, where a beast possibly would have.

Para apes are something similar http://www.sunstar-solutions.com/para-apes.htm

Here's an account of someone encountering a similar being.

As a way of announcing their presence and also determining if I am really interested, they made strong noxious smells one night all around me. I could not determine the source of that odor - it was so strong I couldn't sleep. Naively I blamed it on something in the air from industry. (In these pristine jungles??) Or thought that someone had left an old smelly sneaker in the jungle somewhere near my tent. They created or facilitated the sound of trees falling to the ground with loud crashes. In the morning there were no trees on the ground. They made sounds like crooning birds, high-pitched, haunting and a bit spooky, in the middle of the night, while the birds themselves were quiet. And one night they touched me. In my tiny tent I was asleep, when I awoke because someone was pushing on my shoulder. Momentarily I thought I was at home where my friendly donkeys often nudge my shoulders. Then, realizing where I was, I sat up quickly and opened my tent flap to look around. No one there. All quiet.
http://www.joanocean.com/sasquatch.html

• 4 years later...

I'm from South Brazil... A dentist today... And have had na similar experience, about 23 years ago...

It was a summer evening, and me and my girlfriend (at that time) went to Sambaqui for a walk... Sambaqui is an native brazilian word used to describe artificial islands built into the sea in places were old indian comunitys used to dispose clams and shells after feeding from it over years... They used to burry theyr deads in theese islands, into huge ceramic pots... Today the place is a park were people go for a walk, camping or even having a barbeque with friends on weekends... At that evening, as we walk by a clear spot of the track, I saw this figure: Goat head and feet and a  dirty/hairy slim naked and man body... He was weirdly crowching beside a stone staring me in the eyes... It felt like he was trying to stand still so we don't notice his presence, but I could see some movement as he breathes and blinks... My girlfriend saw me frozen of fear and looked to where I was staring... I've heard her asking me: "What is it? A man or a goat?" And we both ran away scared... I've returned there many times more, but never seen it again...

Sorry about any english mistakes...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ggj1977 said:

Sorry about any english mistakes...

You're English is light years ahead of my Portuguese. 

I can't suggest what you saw, but I enjoyed reading your post. 

• Like 1