Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Ghost Picture (Not a fake)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,052 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

1/15 of a second is enough to turn a small excitable dog into a blur. Can't you see his tail behind the chair?

#32    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,812 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

I agree.  I was just putting the data out there for those who are interested.

I dont think it's a fake, and scowl's explanation seems perfectly valid.  As you can see in one of the pics, 1/15 second can cause noticable blur in people deliberately staying still for a photo, especially as these days people tend to hold their camera out in front of them unlike in the old days where you had to hold the camera up to your head to see through the viewfinder, which forced it to stay much stiller than holding it in front of you at arm's length, which results in much more noticable camera shake.  So 1/15 second is enough time for a yappy little mutt to look like a blur like that.

And 10 seconds, not "a split second" as the OP described, is more than enough time for something like a dog to have moved into the picture from outside the frame.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#33    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,812 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

By the way, what's a "shutter feature" that allows photos "taken together in the shutter time"?  I don't know what that really means, and the EXIF data clearly tags the photos as having been taken 10 seconds apart - 20:12:58 for the before pic and 20:13:08 for the 'ghost' pic.

Can the OP clarify what he/she means?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#34    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,052 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

It reminds me of this photo of an alien which was later shown to be a dog on its back legs pulling on a leash. With enough blurriness, small dogs can make good paranormal subjects.

#35    UniversalFractal

UniversalFractal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

Edit.  Nvm you are right.  Archimedes nice, i never knew of exif data.  You are right, it's definitely my little cousin.  I guess I assumed that the pictures were taken a split second apart since the camera holder did an excellent job of not moving the frame of reference and everything else in the two pictures is damn near in the same place.

I also assumed it was a shutter feature cause if you hold the button down while taking a picture, my dad's phone makes numerous clicks in a row as if it is taking a bunch of pictures in a row together, but I guess that didn't actually do anything.

Edited by UniversalFractal, 10 January 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#36    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,052 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

I apologize for calling your cousin a dog. That sure looks like a tail though! :cry:

#37    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,926 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostUniversalFractal, on 10 January 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

Edit.  Nvm you are right.  Archimedes nice, i never knew of exif data.  You are right, it's definitely my little cousin.  I guess I assumed that the pictures were taken a split second apart since the camera holder did an excellent job of not moving the frame of reference and everything else in the two pictures is damn near in the same place.

I also assumed it was a shutter feature cause if you hold the button down while taking a picture, my dad's phone makes numerous clicks in a row as if it is taking a bunch of pictures in a row together, but I guess that didn't actually do anything.

Like I said in post #4 and #21. Thanks Archimedes for the photo forensics! :)

#38    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

EXIF data is oft the debunker's friend.  When in doubt, go for the things that cannot be faked...like EXIF data.  Then reach out from there.

#39    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostUniversalFractal, on 08 January 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Hi guys,

My mother's 45th bday was last night and we were out at a restaurant and this picture was taken on my Dad's phone, which has a shutter picture feature.  These two pictures were taken together in the shutter time.  Tell me what you think... really creepy.  I see two faces, and a hand around the chair with one finger pointing up.  Not photoshopped, seriously.

*snip*

Cool capture!  It totally looks ghostly!
And now I'm hungry after seeing everyone at dinner.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons, 11 January 2013 - 01:31 AM.
links removed by request

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#40    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,926 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 10 January 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

EXIF data is oft the debunker's friend.  When in doubt, go for the things that cannot be faked...like EXIF data.  Then reach out from there.

Thanks to you and Archimedes. EXIF data is something I'd never heard of. I did it, 'old school'. A side by side said there was no way they were taken 'split seconds apart'.

EXIF data actually tells you shutter speed?

#41    mizmez

mizmez

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

It looks like children rushing to get into the shot!

#42    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 10 January 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

Thanks to you and Archimedes. EXIF data is something I'd never heard of. I did it, 'old school'. A side by side said there was no way they were taken 'split seconds apart'.

EXIF data should tell you all sorts of useful things, yes.  The abscence of it usually indicates that the pic has been futzed around with in editing software.

#43    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,812 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 10 January 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

Camera make and model, shutter speed, aperture, JPEG quality, ISO, white balance, exact date and time picture was taken, etc.

All of these and more are embedded in the photo file in digital cameras.  Very useful data.

Edited by Archimedes, 10 January 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#44    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 10 January 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

Camera make and model, shutter speed, aperture, JPEG quality, ISO, white balance, exact date and time picture was taken, etc.

All of these and more are embedded in the photo file in digital cameras.  Very useful data.

How does one access such data from a photo?

I see there is a "view image info" when you right click on it, but I can't seem to find the information that you did.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#45    UniversalFractal

UniversalFractal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

http://www.wisegeek....-photograph.htm

Use the right-most space to plug in the image URL, and voila.

Edited by UniversalFractal, 10 January 2013 - 05:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users