Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Native American Skin Walkers

Realm of Unknown

I figured that this topic fit best in the Myths and Legends section, not so much the cryptozoology. But I mean it might. Image though a Native American shaman or witch, also having abilities similar to Werewolves. I honestly love Skin Walkers, not sure why, just do. You guys think they're interesting?

• Like 3

Taboo initiation into priesthood.

Sounds a little Satanic. And I sure as hell wouldn't consider incest the same as murdering a close family member. This guy's got some funny information.

This is pretty interesting though, im not sure that I would consider a 'skin walker' a witch, as much as I would a witch, a witch. A topic thats better left educated to a 'priest,' or better yet... a campfire.

Edited by MeOnlyMe
  • Like 1

Sounds a little Satanic. And I sure as hell wouldn't consider incest the same as murdering a close family member. This guy's got some funny information.

This is pretty interesting though, im not sure that I would consider a 'skin walker' a witch, as much as I would a witch, a witch. A topic thats better left educated to a 'priest,' or better yet... a campfire.

It might sound that way yeah, but not everything relates back to Christianity.. Native American culture was around before settles brought upon Christian beliefs.

Also, Witch is kind of a broad term, several cultures have alternate depictions, or minor tweaks to what they specifically consider a Witch.

• Like 3

They don't worship Satan.

• Like 3

Yes, I find this very interesting, but don't think the descriptions of it should be taken literally.

side note: I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when the guy thanks his viewers for sticking with him to the 'end of the journey' ....... all 2mns 46secs of it :hmm: . He even warns the viewers that the video will be longer than usual! :(

• Like 1

Native americans are said to come from Asia. I know a bit of an asian culture as an outsider, read about the ancient taoist shamans the wuji, the "mediums" between spirit world and the human communities. They could call down rain and thunder, heal the sick, fly, cast curses and increase their physical strength through qi practices, and some might have even been clairvoyant and such. And live hundreds of years. But I've never heard they could transform into animals, though I think at least the mongolian shamans have that kinda traditions, not sure.

So skinwalking might had been a thing they developed in the new land.

• Like 2

Of course they don't worship Satan.

But the initiation process is 1 of the darkest most ****ed up things I have read about in a long time.

sa·tan·ic

• extremely evil or wicked.

Edited by MeOnlyMe
  • Like 1

Of course they don't worship Satan.

But the initiation process is 1 of the darkest most ****ed up things I have read about in a long time.

sa·tan·ic

• extremely evil or wicked.

Lol, I'm sure I could find a darker topic If you'd like ;D

Yes, I find this very interesting, but don't think the descriptions of it should be taken literally.

side note: I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when the guy thanks his viewers for sticking with him to the 'end of the journey' ....... all 2mns 46secs of it :hmm: . He even warns the viewers that the video will be longer than usual! :(

I think that's just a think that he does, you know like a gimmick? I went through some of the other videos he has, a lot do stop before this one would. He had longer videos to begin this, they seem to have gotten shorter. Now he is pushing the 3-5 minute mark again. On average I'd say his are usually one and half minutes to two.

• Like 1

Lol, I'm sure I could find a darker topic If you'd like ;D

I would rather you not. As interesting as I find things like this, the realization that the story has an origin is what frightens me. Your neighbors and your friends, your colleagues and civil leaders, monsters and demons the lot of them.

• Like 1

Please discuss the darkest topics that you know. If people are too frightened of these stories they shouldn't read them.

• Like 2

Please discuss the darkest topics that you know. If people are too frightened of these stories they shouldn't read them.

Gross.

Earlier this year I was in NM, AZ, and UT where the legend carries on. My friend and I stopped at a diner outside Albuquerque where a woman told us a skinwalker encounter by her grandson. Their family lived on reservations for years and elders wouldn't travel at night due to belief that these creatures would capture them, since many have disappeared. The grandson didn't believe this so she told him to climb a local bluff at night where skinwalkers dwell. Supposedly the boy went up there then ran back terrified by whatever it was he saw and now a firm believer.

We camped around the four corner states for two weeks open to the experience of seeing one and nothing remotely close happened. I find the skinwalker folklore to be intriguing, yet I do not believe they exist. B)

Edited by Treppanierolumenarch
  • Like 2

It might sound that way yeah, but not everything relates back to Christianity.. Native American culture was around before settles brought upon Christian beliefs.

Also, Witch is kind of a broad term, several cultures have alternate depictions, or minor tweaks to what they specifically consider a Witch.

My thoughts on skinwalkers is that they are out there but that they are the product of talented but obsessed persons who were interested in wielding power...but not grooming sanity. The power of the will is amazing and we are only scratching the surface. Shaman spent their lives discarding scepticism and instead threw themselves into the art of grooming their will 24/7. This led to weird experiments and I think skinwalkers are the manifestation of one of those. My understanding of them is that they are distorted humans who sometimes resemble animals. Many people in my area insist on seeing a white wolflike man thing that half walk/crawls across highways and roadways. My first instinct was to laugh but some of my friends who are anything but superstitious have claimed to have seen it. And we have a native population dedicated to developing dreaming and the dreaming body; which is the first step to creating oneself into a skinwalker...or so lore has it.

Just another one of those mysteries of the world I suppose. I wouldn't recommend trying it out. Some things were never meant for men to dabble in.

• Like 4

Skinwalkers just seems like any other tale of magic and shamans. I've always thought about them in the same way I view European fantasy stories like Lord of the Rings or Kingkiller Chronicles; they are a North American version of Gandalf.

Skinwalkers just seems like any other tale of magic and shamans. I've always thought about them in the same way I view European fantasy stories like Lord of the Rings or Kingkiller Chronicles; they are a North American version of Gandalf.

Except Lord of the Rings is fantasy fiction.

Except Lord of the Rings is fantasy fiction.

Yes, fantasy fiction from Europe, in a European feudal setting. Hence that thing I said.

So you're saying that the Skinwalkers are American fantasy fiction?

There is more to this world than dreamt of in our philosophies.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

One thing that kind of bothers me about Skinwalkers is they don't seem to follow the laws the others have to. For example, a skinwalker needs something of the animal to change into it using a chant, which makes me curious why Shapeshifters never turn into Wendigo when and if they killed and ate the members of the opposing tribe.

Or are Skinwalkers and Wendigo the same thing just in different climates?

That's a really of awkward way of phrasing "I don't think Skinwalkers are real" lol

One thing that kind of bothers me about Skinwalkers is they don't seem to follow the laws the others have to. For example, a skinwalker needs something of the animal to change into it using a chant, which makes me curious why Shapeshifters never turn into Wendigo when and if they killed and ate the members of the opposing tribe.

Or are Skinwalkers and Wendigo the same thing just in different climates?

Wendigos are those that partake of human flesh and become a 'crazy' beast lusting for more. People that are said to end up becoming these creatures were often starving in the wilderness and resorted to consuming other people with them. And with the consuming of human flesh, they become imparted with strength, the ability to mimic/cast out their voices and other things-I'm so tired right now, I can't remember.

Anyway, they become insatiable sub-human crazed creatures that want more and more to satisfy their cravings.

Wendigo, the word, and thought is avoided in conversation by native cultures; It's supposed to symbolize great 'evil' or embody badness in a way. I can't really explain what I mean by this-it's pretty much the representation of badness and wendigo is the word for it. I'm not necessarily speaking of the creature I mentioned above. Evil=wendigo. And, speaking of such is supposed to bring misgivings/bad luck and such.

As for the skinwalker, they are shamans that resort to evil 'magic' to gain. They're said to kill family members to become the beasts they are, or to do some other such act. From what I remember being told by a Lakota, they can/cannot wear the skins...They really don't need them to embody what they want to be. I've also been told of sightings in the Black Hills, that some saw these things come out of the ground looking as if they were in the ground for a week at least, sort of mummified looking.

They do all kinds of wicked things; they can use the urine/feces of people to cast great evil on them.. From what i'm told, the natives would be careful about where they'd leave their waste because of this..And, I've been told that skinwalkers only go after other native americans.

They can mimic voices like wendigos are said to, are said to be able to embody whichever animal they wish, and generally cause misfortune and darkness wherever they go.

Sorry if it doesn't really make sense, I've had a long day. I just thought i'd add to this thread, because I have studied these things for a while.

I forgot some of what I've been told but I will ask more and come back when I have the time.

• Like 1