Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Search for the Lost Giants

DieChecker

http://www.history.com/shows/search-for-the-lost-giants/about

Stonemasons Jim and Bill Vieira are on a quest to investigate an incredible theory: that the myths and legends we’ve all been told about giants are actually rooted in fact. Jim has researched over 1,000 accounts of skeletons seven feet tall or over unearthed across America in the 19th and 20th centuries. SEARCH FOR THE LOST GIANTS will follow the Vieira brothers on their quest to find evidence of these missing bones, which seem to have slipped through the hands of history. They’ll dig for secret chambers, explore underground tunnels and dive into the deepest museum storage vaults–all to find that one bone, that one hair, that single strand of giant DNA that will answer the question: did giants walk the Earth?

Sounds interesting. As long as the are not on the level of tomb robbers.

• Like 4

Oh. This is a T.V. show? This reminds me why I don't watch it anymore.

Edit: Well, in the spirit of the quest, there may be mention of native tales of "red haired giants" which some may equate to Sasquatch. But, what if they were Norseman from 1,000 years ago?

Plausible.

Edited by Likely Guy

Well, no Santa beards or guns, so they might be on to something.

Thousands of giant skeletons?! I wonder how they will "prove" anything since the far less than thousands I've been reading about in the BAE series (Bureau of American Ethnology) were in such a state of deterioration and often disintegrated upon attempted removal. I wonder whose reports they used to reach the number of over a thousand?

A study was planned to in fact launch a new investigation into burial mounds but never came to fruition as far as I know. And this study was to be headed by credentialed mainstream anthropologists, not stone masons.

I wonder if this will be another fabricating of history to make a show, how sad if it is.

Black hair can "turn red" after burial, I've read.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 6

"Cryptid: The Swamp Beast" on History Channel - managed 10mins before switching channels. It was such rubbish, everybody reading from scripts, fake "encounters", just nothing treated seriously.

How much further can History Channel" dumb itself down?

Back on - topic: Gigantism is an unfortunate by-product of an over-active Pituitary gland, and not so rare that we have all heard of it. I imagine in the not distant past that such growth would be recorded and / or revered. Whether there may be another cause with Gigantism being handed down through DNA, leading to whole tribes of "Giants" is something else.

• Like 1

http://www.history.com/shows/search-for-the-lost-giants/about

Sounds interesting. As long as the are not on the level of tomb robbers.

I think you mean "Archaeologist". No worries, common mistake.. ;)

Oh. This is a T.V. show? This reminds me why I don't watch it anymore.

Edit: Well, in the spirit of the quest, there may be mention of native tales of "red haired giants" which some may equate to Sasquatch. But, what if they were Norseman from 1,000 years ago?

Plausible.

I like tall women, and I LOVE RedHeads, so the thought of giant red-haired women makes me smile... lol

Edited by Midyin
  • Like 1

Looks Interesting, I more than likely wouldn't have know about this show had you not started this thread. I'll for sure be checking it out come November 4th.

If they actually go across the area of where these giants were reported back in the 19th century, and check all the local museums and local collectors, then that at least would be valuable to say that someone actually did it.

Errrrr....I think that whole "giant bones" horse manure was put to rest after Smithsonian and the AMNH opened up all their vaults because of NAGRPA . This is why I no longer watch this channel. Most of the accounts have been proven BS a long time ago.

As for the "red hair" crap. Black hair turns red when it begins to deteriorate.

• Like 1

This whole series has me wondering, are they looking for a race of giants that were once here or are they looking for just plain giants which occur and the result of an overactive pituitary gland. Which isn't common but does happen within most any group of humans.

I do like they don't have long beards.

By the same people who bring you "The curse of oak island"

I watched a little bit last night. I puked a little in my mouth.

It was very stupid. It leaned on the Ancient Aliens side of shows. Lots of misinformation given.

I am still watching the Oak Island show. Mostly because I've always been interested in Oak Island.

They don't really give much bad information. They just get excited over small stuff. Like last night when they found a Oak tree stump in the swamp. Oh my!

• Like 2

I watched a little bit last night. I puked a little in my mouth.

It was very stupid. It leaned on the Ancient Aliens side of shows. Lots of misinformation given.

I am still watching the Oak Island show. Mostly because I've always been interested in Oak Island.

They don't really give much bad information. They just get excited over small stuff. Like last night when they found a Oak tree stump in the swamp. Oh my!

I agree the Oak Island show isn't as bad, but they do try to make a 25 minute show out of 10 minutes of content. I realized they were going to be doing that when they began digging and exploring everywhere, except the actual Money Pit.

• Like 1

I guess it would be kind of cool if they found out that they was a race of giants in the past, but I doubt it will happen to be honest.

I agree the Oak Island show isn't as bad, but they do try to make a 25 minute show out of 10 minutes of content. I realized they were going to be doing that when they began digging and exploring everywhere, except the actual Money Pit.

Well duh. They don't want to be the next ones to die.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think the show is getting worse. Caught an episode while flipping during a football game over the weekend.

Could this rock that is out of place mark the location to an unknown tunnel that might lead to a room that may have once been used as a tomb at one time for what some believe could be giants?

Myles, I have some serious issues with the show as well. It's not clear to me if they are looking for giants as a race or just people who suffered from Gigantism, as an out of control pituitary gland? Certainly there have been many giants due to this unfortunate condition and they died very young, the most famous being Andre the Giant the wrestler.......whom I understand could drink hard liquor like water almost.

If they are looking for a race of giants then it seem they would need to consult Native American lore. They do talk about a race of giants in their verbal history.

Myles, I have some serious issues with the show as well. It's not clear to me if they are looking for giants as a race or just people who suffered from Gigantism, as an out of control pituitary gland? Certainly there have been many giants due to this unfortunate condition and they died very young, the most famous being Andre the Giant the wrestler.......whom I understand could drink hard liquor like water almost.

If they are looking for a race of giants then it seem they would need to consult Native American lore. They do talk about a race of giants in their verbal history.

I believe in the first episode they talked of a race of giants. They have also stated many times how this and that could not be made by a normal sized person.

Maybe the Ancient Aliens killed the ancient giants as they were taking up too much room for their spaceships to land....... <_<

• Like 1

I believe in the first episode they talked of a race of giants. They have also stated many times how this and that could not be made by a normal sized person.

I always get a huge kick out of the people who say that it's not possible for humans to build the pyramids or anything else without some sort of alien intervention because we're too damned stupid. Yet, we put men on the Moon and exploration satellites into space to explore our own Solar System. But we couldn't move a pile of rocks.

• Like 1

I always get a huge kick out of the people who say that it's not possible for humans to build the pyramids or anything else without some sort of alien intervention because we're too damned stupid. Yet, we put men on the Moon and exploration satellites into space to explore our own Solar System. But we couldn't move a pile of rocks.

That's right. How could we possibly pile rocks back then. We were still clubbing our women and dragging them by the hair.

I miss those square wheels.

That's right. How could we possibly pile rocks back then. We were still clubbing our women and dragging them by the hair.

I miss those square wheels.

Well you had to drag them by the hair. If you dragged them by the foot, their mouth would fill up with rocks....

• Like 2

Where are they going to find the giants? Next to the mermaid body I would think.

Speaking of mermaids. After AP aired there episodes of those shows and had a lot of people fooled

having actors pose as marine biologist, I don't find AP, Natgeo and History very credible.

Speaking of mermaids. After AP aired there episodes of those shows and had a lot of people fooled

having actors pose as marine biologist, I don't find AP, Natgeo and History very credible.

How dare you! You are not qualified to have an opinion on a TV series that mindless dolts are watching by the thousands.

.....I mean thousands of people are watching.