Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We stand awed at the heights our people have

__Kratos__

When the Buddhas of Bamyan were dynamited, it wasn't an atheist who lit the fuse. These modern atheists that have stirred up so much resentment among the apologists for religion are not destroyers who seek to demolish the past or who want to advance a destructive ideology — they aren't philistines who reject literature and art and music, and they aren't monsters who will exterminate people to achieve their ends. We aren't out to eradicate the world of ideas or obliterate the vestiges of our religious history in art and architecture, although we have been accused of such nefarious plans; such claims are easy to dismiss as the ravings of the delusional.

Stanley Fish doesn't go quite so far in damning these "new atheists," perhaps to avoid the easily ridiculed paranoid martyr-complex of the mob. Instead of being the 'new communists' who are planning to march the orthodox to Siberia, we're merely unlettered, unschooled near-illiterates with no appreciation of the depths of religious thought. We don't understand the nuances, he cries; we dismiss all of the texts and traditions as "naive, simpleminded and ignorant." We just don't understand, period.

More of the article here... Link

-----------------------------------

Interesing and a long read.

The most interesting part to me here was the fact that believers point to that atheists and others just don't understand or even as said appreciate the religious so they have to be right because they've convinced themselves that their believe with no evidence is just simply right. To a point I get that part, I mean as an atheist and former believer... I do get the point of convincing yourself something is right or true... But now as a full time atheist, how can I simply just understand another's thoughts where they themselves have been the ones convincing? Amusing but dangerous thinking all the yet.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• GoddessWhispers

• Beckys_Mom

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

-----------------------------------

Interesing and a long read.

Eh? umm I have work in the morning..nuts to that lol perhapps another time lol :P

A long read, but well worth the time. Thank you K. :)

"There's more to the godless view than just the "jolly debunking" and the assumed lack of understanding that Fish imparts to us. We do not escape sorrow, we do not lack for joys, and we try as hard (I think even harder) as the believers to find meaning in our lives. We simply do not accept the short cut of magical thinking that allows the lazy-minded to follow the path of religious escapism.

We stand awed at the heights our people have achieved. No gods, no religion. Us."