Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Malta Cave and missing Children.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,255 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:06 PM

Didnt the Nazis use the tunnels at that time?

#32    el midgetron

el midgetron

Government Agent

• 3,936 posts

• saturnalian brother

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:53 AM

Well, I went to the local university's library and dug up the article and.....drum-roll...............no giants are in the article.

The article is about Malta in general and there is only about 1/3 of a page which discusses the caves in a section called "Tragedy in Malta's Tunneled Maze". Here it is for your enjoyment -

Tragedy in Malta's Tunneled Maze

While we cycled homeward, our friends told us that the island was honeycombed with a network of underground passages, many of them catacombs.

Years ago one could walk underground from one end of Malta to the other, but all entrances were closed by the government because of a tragedy.

On a sight-seeing trip, comparable to a nature-study tour in our schools, a number of elementary school children and their teachers decended into the tunneled maze and did not return.

For weeks mothers declared that they had heard wailing and screaming from underground. But numberous excavations and searching parties brought no trace of the lost souls. After weeks they were finally given up for dead.

Sections of this underground network have been used to protect military and naval supplies. Indeed, many of the fortifications themselves are merely caps atop a maze of tunnels.

Thus is Malta fortified. Her thrifty, religious, and intelligent people love peace. Yet, with war in Europe, they now are in the center of Mediterranean strife.

Among the first activities of Italy after Mussolini's declaration of war on June 10 was the bombing of the island.

The establishment in 1937 of a new air base, in addition to the tremendously strategic naval position she occupies, makes Malta guardian of the central Mediterranean--a possesion to be prized, perhaps again to be fought for.

- National Geographic Magazine, Aug 1940 "Wanders Awheel In Malta"

Posted Image

"Feels good to be breaking the laws in America again" - Kenny Powers

#33    jakersHD

jakersHD

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

Malta temples and tombs
This link has some information with some pictures too. Any other cavers out there?, lets mount an expedition :D  lol

#34    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

View PostjakersHD, on 25 February 2010 - 02:22 PM, said:

Malta temples and tombs
This link has some information with some pictures too. Any other cavers out there?, lets mount an expedition :D  lol

Yeah, let's take on the Morlochs. Flash grenades should do the trick.

Any link you's think with the fat women of Malta myth?

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#35    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

• "The Truth is out there."

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

View PostBlue_army, on 24 February 2010 - 11:06 PM, said:

Didnt the Nazis use the tunnels at that time?
IS that true? Do you have any other info on that?

"The truth is out there......but are we willing to accept it when we find it?"

#36    Cryptid_Control

Cryptid_Control

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• “When the snows falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

Here is the same story worded differently. Just thought id post it.

There is an account that in the 1940s a British embassy worker, Miss Lois Jessup, went on a tour of the Hypogeum and convinced a guide to let her explore a 3ft. square "burial chamber" next to the floor of the lowest room in the last [3rd] sub-level. She claims that after squeezing through this chamber she came into a large room; where she was standing there was a large cliff with a steep drop and the floor of the cavern could not be seen. Across the cavern there was a small ledge with an opening in the wall. According the Ms. Jessup, a number of 'humanoid beings' that were covered in white hair and hunched over came out of this opening. They raised their palms in her direction and a large gust of wind filled the cavern, extinguishing the light of her candle. She then claimed that she felt something brush past her. When she went back to the Hypogeum on another occasion, she was told no such tour guide had ever worked on the site. Sometime after Miss Jessup's first visit, a group of school children and their teacher visited the Hypogeum on an outing and entered the same burial chamber, which then collapsed while they were inside. Search parties could not conduct a thorough search for the children or their teacher due to the cave-in. The parents of the children claimed that, for weeks, they could hear the voices of their children coming from under the ground in several parts of the island.

Wikipedia Link --> Mysterious accounts in the Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#37    Lilix_Vixen

Lilix_Vixen

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

View PostPlease-Forgive-Me, on 21 February 2010 - 01:29 AM, said:

VALETTA, MALTA

Functions: Unknown
Levels: Unknown
Tunnels to: Unknown
Notes: Tradition holds that before the British govt. sealed up several tunnels, one could walk from one end of Malta to the other underground. One of the labyrinths, discovered by excavators, is the Hypogeum of Sal Saflini [or Saflienti!?], in which excavators discovered the bones of over 33,000 people who had been sacrificed by an ancient pagan neolithic cult. National Geographic, Aug. 1940 issue, told of several school children who had disappeared without a trace in the Hypogeum.

British embassy worker Miss Lois Jessup convinced a guide to allow her to explore a 3-ft. square "burial chamber" next to the floor of the lowest room in the last [3rd] sub-level of the catacombs. He reluctantly agreed and she crawled through the passage until emerging on a cavern ledge overlooking a deep chasm. In total shock she saw a procession of TALL humanoids with white hair covering their bodies walking along another ledge about 50 feet down on the opposite wall of the chasm.

Sensing her they collectively lifted their palms in her direction at which a strong "wind" began to blow through the cavern and something big, "slippery and wet" moved past her before she left in terror to the lower room, where the guide gave her a "knowing" look. Later she returned after the 30 school children and their teacher[s] had disappeared in the same passage that she had explored, only to find a new guide who denied any knowledge of the former guides' employment there.

She heard reports however that after the last child had passed through the "burial chamber" and out onto the ledge, a "cave-in" collapsed the burial chamber and the rope connecting them to the lower chamber was later found to be "cut clean". Grieving Mothers of several of the children swore that for a week or more following the disappearance they could hear their children crying and screaming "as if from underground". Other sources state that an underground connection exists or did exist between Malta and reaches hundreds of miles and intersects the catacombs below the hill Vaticanus in Rome.

source: THE REALITY OF THE CAVERN WORLD, by Riley Crabb; Commander X; NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, Aug. 1940

So 30 school kids disappeared and no one went looking for them? Is there a link to this story?

“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”

Albert Einstein

#38    jakersHD

jakersHD

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

View Postjessesgirl778, on 26 February 2010 - 11:26 PM, said:

So 30 school kids disappeared and no one went looking for them? Is there a link to this story?
Yes, loads, but I cant find one to the original source. I know what you mean about the 30 kids, it does seem a little bit unbeleivable that more of an effort wasnt made.

Edited by jakersHD, 27 February 2010 - 01:21 AM.

#39    JustMeRicky

JustMeRicky

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

• "The Truth is out there."

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:57 AM

View PostjakersHD, on 27 February 2010 - 01:20 AM, said:

Yes, loads, but I cant find one to the original source. I know what you mean about the 30 kids, it does seem a little bit unbeleivable that more of an effort wasnt made.
That is the one thing that bothers me about the storey. But it is in a national geographic, that makes me trust it. I wonder if maybe the local people were afraid to go down there to look for the children.

"The truth is out there......but are we willing to accept it when we find it?"

#40    el midgetron

el midgetron

Government Agent

• 3,936 posts

• saturnalian brother

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:09 AM

View PostjakersHD, on 27 February 2010 - 01:20 AM, said:

The orignial source is typed out word for word in this thread, on this page.......

View PostPlease-Forgive-Me, on 27 February 2010 - 01:57 AM, said:

That is the one thing that bothers me about the storey. But it is in a national geographic, that makes me trust it. I wonder if maybe the local people were afraid to go down there to look for the children.

"But numberous excavations and searching parties brought no trace of the lost souls. After weeks they were finally given up for dead."

Posted Image

"Feels good to be breaking the laws in America again" - Kenny Powers

#41    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

View PostPlease-Forgive-Me, on 27 February 2010 - 01:57 AM, said:

It's NOT in NAT GEO!
Nat Geo mentions a ledgend! That's what I keep trying to say! The cave DO exist, the stories surrounding them are just stories!

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#42    Prithee

Prithee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

View PostjakersHD, on 21 February 2010 - 05:29 PM, said:

That is an awesome story, it reminds me of the books by Jeff Long "the descent" and "deeper" really good books.
I've been wanting to go to Malta for a while now, now I have one more reason.

That is exactly what I was thinking too. I love those books. He is a wonderful writer.

I have National Geographics dating back that far at my home in the States. When I return I will have to look for this story. Very interesting.

#43    saoc

saoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

Underground passageways discovered in Valletta

No mention of the missing kids legend though.

#44    Rocketgirl33

Rocketgirl33

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

• People who don't know how to weep with their whole heart, don't know how to laugh either.

Golda Meir

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

View PostPlease-Forgive-Me, on 21 February 2010 - 01:29 AM, said:

VALETTA, MALTA

Functions: Unknown
Levels: Unknown
Tunnels to: Unknown
Notes: Tradition holds that before the British govt. sealed up several tunnels, one could walk from one end of Malta to the other underground. One of the labyrinths, discovered by excavators, is the Hypogeum of Sal Saflini [or Saflienti!?], in which excavators discovered the bones of over 33,000 people who had been sacrificed by an ancient pagan neolithic cult. National Geographic, Aug. 1940 issue, told of several school children who had disappeared without a trace in the Hypogeum.

British embassy worker Miss Lois Jessup convinced a guide to allow her to explore a 3-ft. square "burial chamber" next to the floor of the lowest room in the last [3rd] sub-level of the catacombs. He reluctantly agreed and she crawled through the passage until emerging on a cavern ledge overlooking a deep chasm. In total shock she saw a procession of TALL humanoids with white hair covering their bodies walking along another ledge about 50 feet down on the opposite wall of the chasm.

Sensing her they collectively lifted their palms in her direction at which a strong "wind" began to blow through the cavern and something big, "slippery and wet" moved past her before she left in terror to the lower room, where the guide gave her a "knowing" look. Later she returned after the 30 school children and their teacher[s] had disappeared in the same passage that she had explored, only to find a new guide who denied any knowledge of the former guides' employment there.

She heard reports however that after the last child had passed through the "burial chamber" and out onto the ledge, a "cave-in" collapsed the burial chamber and the rope connecting them to the lower chamber was later found to be "cut clean". Grieving Mothers of several of the children swore that for a week or more following the disappearance they could hear their children crying and screaming "as if from underground". Other sources state that an underground connection exists or did exist between Malta and reaches hundreds of miles and intersects the catacombs below the hill Vaticanus in Rome.

source: THE REALITY OF THE CAVERN WORLD, by Riley Crabb; Commander X; NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, Aug. 1940

I find this very interesting! Have you ever listened to the Art Bell radio show? Many years ago he was doing a show on the parhanormal and someone called in with a story  and a recording. It seems that he had an uncle or other relative that worked for an oil drilling company in, if I remember corectly, Siberia. They had drilled down about 30,000 ft, deeper than they had ever drilled in the past. After the drill was removed they heard a sound  coming from the freshly drilled hole, the sound of screams and agony. Someone at the drill site recorded what they heard that day and if you hear it it will chill your soul to the bone. It sounded like they punched a hole right into Hell itself. I have heard the tape and it is very creepy. Could there be a connection between this story and the caverns? Is there possibly a whole other world under our feet that we have never seen before? Even though we feel we are the masters of our world I don't think we know as much as we think we do about the world of which we are a part of. Interesting to ponder.

"He thrusts his fists against the post and still insists he sees the ghost!"
S. King, IT

#45    Kriegermonch

Kriegermonch

Government Agent

• 3,285 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:15 PM

View PostRocketgirl33, on 19 June 2010 - 09:37 PM, said:

I find this very interesting! Have you ever listened to the Art Bell radio show? Many years ago he was doing a show on the parhanormal and someone called in with a story  and a recording. It seems that he had an uncle or other relative that worked for an oil drilling company in, if I remember corectly, Siberia. They had drilled down about 30,000 ft, ...

That story was a hoax, albeit a clever one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users