Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Why should I go to work

Commander CMG

• Sharon Minkin, 49, says she cannot find a job that pays the same as benefits
  • Lives in a semi-detached house, drives a 4x4 and has a 42" flatscreen TV
  • Was qualified accountant on £120,000 a year but has not worked for 18 years
  • Benefits she receives are equivalent to earning £70,000 a year before tax

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

We have the same problem here. A fact that our national public radio has been highlighting this week. Makes me sick.

• Like 2

She was on TV today and I can say got totally ripped into. Her arguments failed everywhere and was made to look a complete fool.

She looked in horror when it was suggested that she should move to a cheaper home as it was immoral to stay in such an elite area to be paid for by the tax payer.

• Like 2

I'm a qualified accountant and don't get £120k a year...... I don't get £70k a year. She could easily get an accountancy job if she wanted, heck she could do consultancy accountancy work and get a fortune for it. There is only one reason a qualified accountant cannot get work and that is that they can't be arsed getting off their backside when the government will pay for the lifestyle they want.

Edited by Moon Gazer
  • Like 1

Solution: Government buys a little township somewhere.

All government housing is there. ALL. There'll be schools, and shops etc (presumably staffed by people who don't live in the town). If you think Tarquin and Skye need to go to Saint Snobsworth Public School then YOU need to get them there. Not in the catchment? Get a job and move into the catchment,

Solution: Government buys a little township somewhere.

Bouvet Island springs to mind!

• Like 1

WoW 70 grand a year....im in the wrong business me thinks!

• Like 1

I earn closer to £7,000 a year, running my own business. And also devote a lot of time (and money) to helping run a charity.

This is a Daily Mail story, so a few facts are likely to be missing. But I worry that she gets so much money in order to live a rich lifestyle that most people can only dream of. If true, she has the conscience of a dead whelk. How does she sleep at night?

A quick awakening into the real world would give this rich b**** a world of good.

• Like 3

Your spoiling them, even thats too good.

• Like 1

It's just over 30 grand, not 70 like the sensationalist Daily Mail is making out in the headline. It's still incredible though, and to be honest I'm not even sure I believe it. There is no way in hell she's getting a grand and a half a month towards housing benefit. Just no way, not now.

It would be cheaper to have her lose her house and put her in homeless accommodation. The council/government do not pay your mortgage for you.

I call shenanigans. If this story is even real, which I highly doubt, there is something massive missing from it. Contrary to popular belief, our government does not give people this much money, and definitely not towards housing benefit. Especially with the introduction of ATOS.

• Like 2

I'm thinking Midsomer something - that way they'll kill each other off as well.

A lot of pensioners live on less than £7000 year and they dont moan about not having a job.

I'm a qualified accountant and don't get £120k a year...... I don't get £70k a year. She could easily get an accountancy job if she wanted, heck she could do consultancy accountancy work and get a fortune for it. There is only one reason a qualified accountant cannot get work and that is that they can't be arsed getting off their backside when the government will pay for the lifestyle they want.

I think you missed the point, she wants a job that pays the same rate has her benefits

It's just over 30 grand, not 70 like the sensationalist Daily Mail is making out in the headline. It's still incredible though, and to be honest I'm not even sure I believe it. There is no way in hell she's getting a grand and a half a month towards housing benefit. Just no way, not now.

It would be cheaper to have her lose her house and put her in homeless accommodation. The council/government do not pay your mortgage for you.

I call shenanigans. If this story is even real, which I highly doubt, there is something massive missing from it. Contrary to popular belief, our government does not give people this much money, and definitely not towards housing benefit. Especially with the introduction of ATOS.

I too call BS on this.

Anyone else noticed a lot of anti benefit stories lately?

It's because the government is trying to stop anyone showing any sympathy to people on welfare when benefit cuts start making people homeless!

• Like 3

There's a big prejudice against people on benefits in Britain, it's sad really. The people didn't cause the banking collapse or give all our jobs to Europeans.

Indeed they didn't but many are still taking the P#*^ and abusing the system.

If I have to admit it, you can’t really blame many of the individuals on benefits, if they are not doing it fraudulently, then it’s the system that’s at fault. I know a young single mother of 2 who works part time and claims certain benefits, she was offered full time at the same place but, if she took the job, she would have been worse off financially.. so she kept the part time role.

You can’t really blame the bankers who get massive bonuses, for taking there £1.5 million annual bonus, its written into their contracts and therefore its not them at fault it’s the system that put the contract together.

Football club managers who sign a £6 million, 4 year contract and last just a few months, taking with them a full payoff.. it’s hardly their fault, if it was written into their contract ..

The problem is no one learns from these silly loopholes and the system never changes to make adjustments for past mistakes.

• Like 4

There's a big prejudice against people on benefits in Britain, it's sad really. The people didn't cause the banking collapse or give all our jobs to Europeans.

Correction, there is a big prejudice against people who are claiming benefits as a lifestyle choice & you are kidding yourself if you claim those sort don't exist in large numbers.

Example of where some of the money taken out of yours & my wage packet goes :-

"Nearly 50,000 children who live abroad are receiving benefits claimed by immigrant families living in Britain, figures have revealed.

Just under 30,000 families are claiming child benefits and tax credit for offspring who live outside the UK but within the European Union, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Poland is home to the highest number of children in the region who are receiving benefits claimed in the UK with more than half the total, 25,659, receiving welfare."

link:- http://www.huffingto..._n_2574166.html

How in any universe is this right?

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

Correction, there is a big prejudice against people who are claiming benefits as a lifestyle choice & you are kidding yourself if you claim those sort don't exist in large numbers.

Example of where some of the money taken out of yours & my wage packet goes :-

"Nearly 50,000 children who live abroad are receiving benefits claimed by immigrant families living in Britain, figures have revealed.

Just under 30,000 families are claiming child benefits and tax credit for offspring who live outside the UK but within the European Union, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Poland is home to the highest number of children in the region who are receiving benefits claimed in the UK with more than half the total, 25,659, receiving welfare."

link:- http://www.huffingto..._n_2574166.html

How in any universe is this right?

In fairness the examples you used are benefit cheats, and foreigners to boot. They are abusing the system. Skater was referring to people who claim benefits in general - the vast majority of whom really cannot work. And I don't think he was referring to JSA, or basic benefits, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the revolution that the government appointed ATOS has instigated. Say if someone was in an accident, has no legs and only one arm, then, literally, if this person can push a button with one finger on their one remaining hand, they are deemed fit to work and forced into doing so (though try finding a job with that description). So many legitimate claims are being rejected - (terminal at times) cancer patients, people with MS, people with chronic pain diseases, wheelchair bound people and others just like them are being rejected ESA due to the French company, ATOS, which in turn only exists on these shores due to sensationalised stories from junk tabloids like the DM and Sun putting pressure on the government.

Sure there are benefit cheats, the same as their are thieves of any kind, but the witch-hunt that is going on right now is destroying families more than it is finding legitimate cases of benefit cheats.

I've said for a while now that if you force the elite-rich in this country - individuals but especially businesses - to pay full tax (the rates wouldn't even need to be put up), we would easily cover the cost of the benefit cheats as well as having German-like roads. Tax break cheats are literally a million times worse than benefit cheats.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

I too call BS on this.

And what about the husband? He says he can only pay £13 per week towards the upkeep of three kids? Get outta here!!!

• Like 1

It is not unreasonable to think housing benefits would cut a check for a grand per month when that is the average housing cost... this is low for my area. I do know ppl receiving $1400 housing benefit.. I used to get $800 benefit for myself but I willfully cut it off because it really is a trap. They target low income people, yes it is very helpful when the need is great.. lets face the fact that starvation and homlessness also exist in great numbers. Government houseing should be used as a stepping stone along with other services. In some areas housing costs are very high and the average person cannot afford to raise a family, even while working more than one job. We also live in a day and age we should be spending more time with our families if we have the aim of raising them in healthy relationship. Constantly chasing after a paycheck with no money for daycare puts kids at risk. Sometimes goverment options, if they are available are the best choice a mother can make... There should be the availabilty within a system that allows people to graduate to self sufficiency. We life in a world designed to seperate poor from rich and the government numbers and qualifiers are set up to promote this in some ways. A lot of work needs to be done to the structures, including independant breaking away from systems, this can me hard, but much easier than changing the goverment.

It is not unreasonable to think housing benefits would cut a check for a grand per month when that is the average housing cost... this is low for my area. I do know ppl receiving $1400 housing benefit.. I used to get $800 benefit for myself but I willfully cut it off because it really is a trap. They target low income people, yes it is very helpful when the need is great.. lets face the fact that starvation and homlessness also exist in great numbers. Government houseing should be used as a stepping stone along with other services. In some areas housing costs are very high and the average person cannot afford to raise a family, even while working more than one job. We also live in a day and age we should be spending more time with our families if we have the aim of raising them in healthy relationship. Constantly chasing after a paycheck with no money for daycare puts kids at risk. Sometimes goverment options, if they are available are the best choice a mother can make... There should be the availabilty within a system that allows people to graduate to self sufficiency. We live in a world designed to seperate poor from rich and the government numbers and qualifiers are set up to promote this in some ways. A lot of work needs to be done to the structures, including independant breaking away from systems, this can me hard, but much easier than changing the goverment.

But theres no way in heck they're gonna be giving you 70k per year... no way, you would have to be a major hustler, living in disguise, risking the chance of going to jail, claiming two or three identies to pull that off... the system is designed to keep you and your kids broke for generations, no way would it in itself provide any sort of luxerious lifestyle.

Edited by SpiritWriter

Football club managers who sign a £6 million, 4 year contract and last just a few months, taking with them a full payoff.. it’s hardly their fault, if it was written into their contract ..

I am not sure which country you are from x,just making a generalization here...American football-European football pros = Most overpaid,in america uneducated,crybabies on earth.Actually here goes for NFL,NBA,MLB talk to some of these (athletes) in person and they can barely make out a sentence.Much less anything other than play a game.This is societies fault!When the hell did we decide that these fools deserve to make millions while soldiers,factory,mill,teachers,even most doctors do not make nearly this much per year!Our priorities are so out of focus it is unreal.None to blame but ourselves for letting s**t get this way.

Now for a bigger question,how the hell do we reverse this?

• Like 1

What a quandary. Give people benefits and they don't work, and never save enough to get off welfare. Refuse the benefits and the innocent children suffer.