Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Neanderthal to be born to surrogate mother?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#46    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 21 January 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

Didn't we just absorb the Neanderthal population? If that is the case I am sure I have seen some people that fit the Neanderthal profile very well and are more than capable of birthing a Neanderthal child without the ethical hang ups. ;)

My first husband had a super orbital ridge, yes I think they were absorbed and their features continue to this day.

What could possibly go wrong?

#47    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,697 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 21 January 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

Isn't that how some of the better Sci-Fi and Horror movies start out?? :yes:
   Yup.  And they are Sci-Fi and HORROR stories.  We shouldn't be playing God IMO

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#48    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,697 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 21 January 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

Didn't we just absorb the Neanderthal population? If that is the case I am sure I have seen some people that fit the Neanderthal profile very well and are more than capable of birthing a Neanderthal child without the ethical hang ups. ;)
  There was a thread a while back that redheads were supposedly descendants of Neanderthals, so yes, they were absorbed as far as that goes.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#49    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Well, if you have seen the facial reconstruct pictures they did of neanderthals, in all honesty, they would not look much different then anyone else walking down the street. Nevertheless, I kind of want to see if they can pull this off :w00t: :whistle:

#50    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,311 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#51    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,065 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Once they get absorbed into the world population they will probably make fantastic engineers and scientists and computer experts. They did have a significantly bigger brain on average then us.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#52    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I think they should but this on the back burner till it's proven that we can do this with other living things.    Let's see some mammoths, thylacines and dodos first.

#53    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

View Postdharma warrior, on 19 January 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Silly question. Of course it would have to be a surrogate mother. If they were using an actual Neanderthal mother, there wouldn't be much point to all that cloning, would there?
If they're successful we are looking at the future president of the NRA.

Neanderthals did not have guns.   I thought everyone knew that.

#54    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,311 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostMyles, on 21 January 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

I think they should but this on the back burner till it's proven that we can do this with other living things. Let's see some mammoths, thylacines and dodos first.
I think they should not try it at all, no matter what animal.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#55    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 21 January 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Once they get absorbed into the world population they will probably make fantastic engineers and scientists and computer experts. They did have a significantly bigger brain on average then us.
maybe, but then so do elephants.
On the other side of the coin some Corvids have intelligence comparable with the great apes, depsite having a brain the size of a cherry. It's really more about structure than size...
There's a reason we out-competed them, probably hard to do if they were both tougher and more intelligent.

#56    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 21 January 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

I think they should not try it at all, no matter what animal.
I wouldn't mind seeing some extinct creatures brought back.

#57    Puppetmaker

Puppetmaker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Will they teach it to use a club or cell phone first?

#58    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,426 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

probably a stupid thing to do, ..but  that's never stopped us before.  .. i'd be curious as to how little cloney would relate to us and our world and what 'he' could learn.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#59    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,065 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

View Postad hoc, on 21 January 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

maybe, but then so do elephants.
On the other side of the coin some Corvids have intelligence comparable with the great apes, depsite having a brain the size of a cherry. It's really more about structure than size...
There's a reason we out-competed them, probably hard to do if they were both tougher and more intelligent.
It actually had to do with low fertility, if I remember right. There never was more then 50,000 neanderthals alive at any one time, and they inhabited Europe and the Near East of Asia. Their populations never did take off, probably they needed a lot of room for their form of hunter gatherer lifestyle. Modern humans simply had kids faster and a lot more of them. within a thousand years there would have been ten or twenty modern humans for every neanderthal. They simply got ground underfoot by shear numbers.

There is also speculation that modern humans learned many forms of thinking from the neanderthals. Specifically religion and art.

Edited by DieChecker, 22 January 2013 - 02:54 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#60    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 22 January 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

It actually had to do with low fertility, if I remember right. There never was more then 50,000 neanderthals alive at any one time, and they inhabited Europe and the Near East of Asia. Their populations never did take off, probably they needed a lot of room for their form of hunter gatherer lifestyle. Modern humans simply had kids faster and a lot more of them. within a thousand years there would have been ten or twenty modern humans for every neanderthal. They simply got ground underfoot by shear numbers.

There is also speculation that modern humans learned many forms of thinking from the neanderthals. Specifically religion and art.

I've heard a few hypotheses for why they died out, usually it's thought of as a combination of things. But I haven't heard low fertility put at the centre of things. Sounds feasible as a contributing factor though...

I'm wondering if with second bit you're talking about the relatively recent finding of some shells painted red with a mineral deposit from human settlements at the time, worn as jewellery, which seemed to also be a neanderthal tradition from the area that predated the human arrival. So the humans seem to have picked up the tradition of the painted shells from the 'thals. If that's what it is, it's interesting and shows some exchange, but it's a long way from 'learning many forms of thinking'. And for that matter humans had already developed religion, art, music, and a bunch of other cultural stuff in Africa long before migrations ever reached the Neanderthals.

Another thing to consider is that Neanderthals appear to have remained hunter gatherers for their entire 350,000 year + span without exception, whereas homo sapiens began making the transition to civilization from about 190,000 years in.

So, I'm not saying they definitely weren't smarter than us, but it doesn't seem like there's much reason to come to that conclusion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users