Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * - - 7 votes

Are Ghosts Mentally Ill?


  • Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#121    Codeblind

Codeblind

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Joined:03 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

Wouldn't a 'ghost' still have the characteristics of the person that died..like if a crazy dude died and left his ghost wouldn't the ghost be a crazy ghost...? I don't know seems legit if you believe in ghosts in the first place ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

#122    coldethyl

coldethyl

    ~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

  • Member
  • 16,331 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:~*★*~Under Your Eyelid~*★*~

  • ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

View PostCassea, on 25 November 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

I don't think he or she meant to know.  That's why they opened it up for discussion.  I do not know of the stigma attached to mental illness.  The mind is a body part like any other. If you have a illness in your kidney or heart,  what stigma is attached.  Don't feel that way any longer.  Just poof it a way.   But the statement was that ghosts had mental illness, not necessarily that mentally ill people created ghosts.  At least that is how I read it.

Well if you do not know of the stigma attached to mental illness, you are very lucky.  visit www.nami.org and read some stories there.

My point exactly about other illnessess.  If you state you have cancer or you have diabetes, you are most likely to have a response of sympathy and understanding.  If you state you have bi-polar illness or ocd you have a reaction of fear and ignorance.  If you don't believe me, I worked for insurance companies when they FINALLY made it MANDATORY for mental illness to be covered just as a medical illness as it has not been until now.  And just look at the post below.  "crazy dude"  Stigma.

definition:
a mark of disgrace or infamy; a stain or reproach, as on one's reputation.  source:  http://dictionary.re...m/browse/stigma

View PostCodeblind, on 25 November 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Wouldn't a 'ghost' still have the characteristics of the person that died..like if a crazy dude died and left his ghost wouldn't the ghost be a crazy ghost...? I don't know seems legit if you believe in ghosts in the first place ?

If you believe.  I guess it depends on your definition of a soul, the mind-body dichotomy, your faith and/or religion and if you know what the definition of mental illness is.  If you think so, then you would also have to believe that someone with cancer would have cancer as well.


#123    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

I think you are projecting and derailing the discussion.  No offence.   If you could put your personal experiences aside, don't you think this is an interesting discussion?  There are people who see ghosts.  Not sure if it is real or not.  But the question of whether some people don't pass on.  Why not?  If a ghost had a mental illness or spiritual illness it could create a situation that has them 'echo.'  Like they linger, the was a smell or a crying out would linger.  The energy they have is more striking.  Think if a man is killed and is silent or ifa man is killed and is screaming as he dies.  The emotional energy of the screaming man lasts longer.  Perhaps the anguish of the person has the same effect.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#124    coldethyl

coldethyl

    ~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

  • Member
  • 16,331 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:~*★*~Under Your Eyelid~*★*~

  • ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:04 AM

View PostCassea, on 25 November 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

I think you are projecting and derailing the discussion.  No offence.   If you could put your personal experiences aside, don't you think this is an interesting discussion?  There are people who see ghosts.  Not sure if it is real or not.  But the question of whether some people don't pass on.  Why not?  If a ghost had a mental illness or spiritual illness it could create a situation that has them 'echo.'  Like they linger, the was a smell or a crying out would linger.  The energy they have is more striking.  Think if a man is killed and is silent or ifa man is killed and is screaming as he dies.  The emotional energy of the screaming man lasts longer.  Perhaps the anguish of the person has the same effect.

I am sorry you feel that way, but I am not derailing in any way.  I am trying to educate what mental illness is as the OP does not seem to 'get it'.

This was my second post:

IF you believe in hauntings.  Murders have nothing to do with mental illness unless possibly committed by a serial killer and that would fall under sociopathy.  Technically Sociopathy is an antisocial personality disorder as is psychopathy and both are not curable and sometimes debated if they fall under the category of mental illness.  BUT serial killing is rarer than you think percentage wise.
As for as deep regrets, since when is that a mental illness?  I believe you need to research mental illness a bit further.
Obsessive attachments could fall under the category of OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder and I know of no cases where someone was killed or died from OCD.  People who are obsessed with someone and kill them are usually spouses/boyfriend/girlfriend and it is an impulse killing in the heat of a passionate argument.  Research murders and serial killers as I have.  You will find that an incredibly small amount of people are actually killed by people who are actually mentally ill.  
Some suicides but not all could fall under mentally ill.  But again, it's not a huge percentage of mentally ill people that go around offing themselves.  A lot of suicides are committed by men who have lost their jobs or elderly people who are terminally ill.

Please be a bit more respectful of people who are mentally ill before you lump us all into categories that do not exist and do a bit more research before you do the categorizing. :tu:


From everything I've read on here the people that do not 'pass on' as you say are called residual hauntings and it is like a record playing over and over.  I don't see a connection with mental illness.


#125    Ligia Cabus

Ligia Cabus

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined:29 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:SSA-BA

  • "Hell, ain't a bad place to be." AC/DC

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:04 AM

View Postcoldethyl, on 24 November 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Please provide evidence where telekinesis actually exists.

21/11/2012 - Mind-Controlled Cursor Quicker to Read User's Mind
http://www.msnbc.msn...d/#.ULGV_6AW738

AND

02/07/20122 - GAIDOS, Susan. Mind-Controlled
http://www.sciencene...Mind-Controlled

... Efforts to develop machines that can be controlled by the human mind began in the 1960s when scientists first put single electrodes into the brains of monkeys to record neural activity. To the researchers’ surprise, they found that some cells in areas that control movement start firing before an animal actually moves. Scientists later discovered that these areas are active because the brain plans movements well before it carries them out.

People whose spinal cords have been damaged so that they can no longer deliver signals to the limbs are still able to produce the necessary planning signals in the brain. It is these signals that the researchers aim to capture and decode, making this science fiction vision a reality.


#126    coldethyl

coldethyl

    ~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

  • Member
  • 16,331 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:~*★*~Under Your Eyelid~*★*~

  • ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

View PostLigia Cabus, on 25 November 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

21/11/2012 - Mind-Controlled Cursor Quicker to Read User's Mind
http://www.msnbc.msn...d/#.ULGV_6AW738

AND

02/07/20122 - GAIDOS, Susan. Mind-Controlled
http://www.sciencene...Mind-Controlled

... Efforts to develop machines that can be controlled by the human mind began in the 1960s when scientists first put single electrodes into the brains of monkeys to record neural activity. To the researchers’ surprise, they found that some cells in areas that control movement start firing before an animal actually moves. Scientists later discovered that these areas are active because the brain plans movements well before it carries them out.

People whose spinal cords have been damaged so that they can no longer deliver signals to the limbs are still able to produce the necessary planning signals in the brain. It is these signals that the researchers aim to capture and decode, making this science fiction vision a reality.

Yes with silicone impants in the BRAIN, not with telekinesis.

And how is this relevant?  This is more derailing than I have in any post.

edited to add the last statement.

Edited by coldethyl, 25 November 2012 - 04:08 AM.


#127    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

double post

Edited by Cassea, 25 November 2012 - 04:50 AM.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#128    Cassea

Cassea

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostLigia Cabus, on 25 November 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

21/11/2012 - Mind-Controlled Cursor Quicker to Read User's Mind
http://www.msnbc.msn...d/#.ULGV_6AW738

AND

02/07/20122 - GAIDOS, Susan. Mind-Controlled
http://www.sciencene...Mind-Controlled

... Efforts to develop machines that can be controlled by the human mind began in the 1960s when scientists first put single electrodes into the brains of monkeys to record neural activity. To the researchers’ surprise, they found that some cells in areas that control movement start firing before an animal actually moves. Scientists later discovered that these areas are active because the brain plans movements well before it carries them out.

People whose spinal cords have been damaged so that they can no longer deliver signals to the limbs are still able to produce the necessary planning signals in the brain. It is these signals that the researchers aim to capture and decode, making this science fiction vision a reality.

And this is from many years ago.  Now they can use these signals for robotic limbs.  It shows the unlocked powers of the mind.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#129    Ligia Cabus

Ligia Cabus

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined:29 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:SSA-BA

  • "Hell, ain't a bad place to be." AC/DC

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

View Postcoldethyl, on 25 November 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

Yes with silicone impants in the BRAIN, not with telekinesis.

These experiences demonstrate that if the silicone implant is able to transmit the thoughts and these thoughts can act over objects or over the movements of a computer's cursor, then - thoughts are a kind of energy, force. This is only the begining of a new understanding of the nature of the thought.

Please read the definition of telekinesis


#130    MistyW

MistyW

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

Insight on why ghosts and spirits may appear to people...Yes, I think it's very possible that ghosts appear as a sign of guilt. But if they are manifestations of people's guilt, then wouldn't they want to hide from the living, not show themselves to them? I'm not sure about the afterlife, so I wouldn't know if that's why the ghosts didn't move on like the others but it's an interesting theory. But not all the ghosts are originally mentally ill..some of them could be quite normal when they were living. Maybe they became mentally ill after dying.


#131    SSilhouette

SSilhouette

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2012

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

Quote

I think you are projecting and derailing the discussion. No offence. If you could put your personal experiences aside, don't you think this is an interesting discussion? There are people who see ghosts. Not sure if it is real or not. But the question of whether some people don't pass on. Why not? If a ghost had a mental illness or spiritual illness it could create a situation that has them 'echo.' Like they linger, the was a smell or a crying out would linger. The energy they have is more striking. Think if a man is killed and is silent or ifa man is killed and is screaming as he dies. The emotional energy of the screaming man lasts longer. Perhaps the anguish of the person has the same effect.
Bingo Cassea.

The premise is that ghosts and hauntings exist.  Without that premise all these discussions are meaningless.  Not in any one place ever in this thread have I said or insinuated that people or ghosts with mental illnesses are to be stigmatized in any way, shape or form.  And I challenge anyone here to quote me where they say I said this.

What I did say was that many hauntings described often by multiple credible witnesses, sober, sane and with nothing to gain by the reporting, have described hauntings that appear to be manifestations of obsessive people that have passed over and are now "ghost people" instead of flesh people.  It makes perfect sense that a personality that remains intact in all other ways would carry with it baggage it had in the flesh.  I think of the spirit and the body this way:  The body and the brain that controls it are the physical interface that a spirit uses in life to interact with other physical-bound spirits.  Once the body is shed [dies], the spirit simply disengages intact and whole and does various things in another dimension we don't fully understand yet.

What does seem obvious though is that many of these ghosts are suffering in ways that perhaps we could help with.  And I started this thread with the intent of coming up with ideas and solutions to helping these non-bodied people to move on and let go of ruts, pain and suffering they don't need with them.  So far Ligia has given some excellent sources for that quest.  Others have too.  Let's all take a deep breath and proceed as if this thread is not threatening to anyone or a "hidden put down" to anyone.  There are no such things here.  As far as mental illness goes, I'm sure we are all touched by it in life at one point or another.  This is a very difficult matrix to navigate and there are bound to be wounds, some of them very deep, as we make our way through the thorny gauntlet called "life".

Edited by SSilhouette, 25 November 2012 - 07:26 AM.


#132    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,642 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostLigia Cabus, on 25 November 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

These experiences demonstrate that if the silicone implant is able to transmit the thoughts and these thoughts can act over objects or over the movements of a computer's cursor, then - thoughts are a kind of energy, force. This is only the begining of a new understanding of the nature of the thought.

Please read the definition of telekinesis
I can use my mind to control my arm, is that telekinesis? lol


#133    Ligia Cabus

Ligia Cabus

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined:29 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:SSA-BA

  • "Hell, ain't a bad place to be." AC/DC

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 25 November 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I can use my mind to control my arm, is that telekinesis? lol

If you really want discuss about telekinesis, would be more apropriate open a topic about it.

And I'm sure that you understand what means for a paralyzed person the possibility to use a computer by transmission of thought with that aid of a chip.

And also is able to understand what means the fact that  thought can be transmited in a process that doesn't involve neuronic links in the closed limits of a body. It's evident that the thought in this case acts like a kind of energy that can be projected, acting to distance. A chip can't capture nor transmit to distance something that is intransmissible and still less make this "something" operate on a mechanism that functions powered by electrical impulses.

If you want to talk more about, open a topic. This topic, let's remember and respect, this topic is about the mental condition of spirits.


#134    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,642 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostLigia Cabus, on 25 November 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

If you really want discuss about telekinesis, would be more apropriate open a topic about it.
Not really, I was just pointing out how ambiguous your definition of telekinesis is.


#135    coldethyl

coldethyl

    ~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

  • Member
  • 16,331 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:~*★*~Under Your Eyelid~*★*~

  • ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostSSilhouette, on 25 November 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:


Bingo Cassea.

The premise is that ghosts and hauntings exist.  Without that premise all these discussions are meaningless.  Not in any one place ever in this thread have I said or insinuated that people or ghosts with mental illnesses are to be stigmatized in any way, shape or form.  And I challenge anyone here to quote me where they say I said this.

What I did say was that many hauntings described often by multiple credible witnesses, sober, sane and with nothing to gain by the reporting, have described hauntings that appear to be manifestations of obsessive people that have passed over and are now "ghost people" instead of flesh people.  It makes perfect sense that a personality that remains intact in all other ways would carry with it baggage it had in the flesh.  I think of the spirit and the body this way:  The body and the brain that controls it are the physical interface that a spirit uses in life to interact with other physical-bound spirits.  Once the body is shed [dies], the spirit simply disengages intact and whole and does various things in another dimension we don't fully understand yet.

What does seem obvious though is that many of these ghosts are suffering in ways that perhaps we could help with.  And I started this thread with the intent of coming up with ideas and solutions to helping these non-bodied people to move on and let go of ruts, pain and suffering they don't need with them.  So far Ligia has given some excellent sources for that quest.  Others have too.  Let's all take a deep breath and proceed as if this thread is not threatening to anyone or a "hidden put down" to anyone.  There are no such things here.  As far as mental illness goes, I'm sure we are all touched by it in life at one point or another.  This is a very difficult matrix to navigate and there are bound to be wounds, some of them very deep, as we make our way through the thorny gauntlet called "life".

No one has to say'stigma' mental illness has its own without being spok. Do not speak of me in third person because I have argued valid points speaking on a msg board as everyone else.  Just because you do not like my opposing viewpoint and that I find the topic offensive does not mean I do not belong here.  I have tried to educate you and you have refused to listed. You spoke of suicides and I gave you statistics and they were ignored.

The entire first page of this thread you were ridiculed and after my initial shock, I tried to help define mental illness for you because it seems you do not understand it, saying that NDE's could cause it. You know nothing of my life so do not refer to it.

This is not a request, but a demand.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users