Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Thriving beavers 'threaten' Dutch flood banks

beavers dutch dykes flood banks

  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 40,057 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

A thriving beaver population is threatening the stability of the Netherlands' sea defences, a group of experts has warned.

The Mammal Society has brought together other wildlife groups to work out how to protect these important water-blocking dykes from the small but potentially destructive semi-aquatic rodents.

Beavers play an important ecological role in the Netherlands and were initially brought in to increase biodiversity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-20315417

Posted Image

#2    redhen

redhen

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined:14 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Samsara

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Introduced in 1988? You would have thought that the Dutch would have learned from previous failures. I watched a documentary the other day on the exploding population of racoons in Germany. They were "introduced" in the 1930's for the same reason, to increase biodiversity. Hmm, there's no bears in Holland either, maybe they "introduce" them too? I'll have to do some digging to find out the brilliant reasons for turning beavers loose in Holland.

Well, hopefully they won't have the scale of the crisis they have in Australia after they "introduced" rabbits to the country. Hmm, "lets bring over some furry mammals that reproduce like you know what, into a country where they have no natural predators. What could go wrong?"


#3    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,121 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

I don't understand why the word 'threaten' is between quotation marks.

It is known that if a sea dike at the coast of the province of Zuidholland breaches in the middle of the night, many millions will drown in their sleep.

So, we already had muskrats, and now we have beavers (again).

Well, I hope they taste as good as muskrat (in restaurants here they are called 'water rabbit').

.


#4    Hasina

Hasina

    Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

  • Member
  • 3,050 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • JINKIES

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Animals are changing things in nature which will have a catastrophic effect on things? Quick! Move them or kill them! They're learning from us! That's our thing!

Posted Image

~MEH~


#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,121 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Animals are changing things in nature which will have a catastrophic effect on things? Quick! Move them or kill them! They're learning from us! That's our thing!

The problem is not that they change things in nature, they 'change' the things we built to protect ourselves from drowning.


#6    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,121 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

View Postredhen, on 14 November 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Introduced in 1988? You would have thought that the Dutch would have learned from previous failures. I watched a documentary the other day on the exploding population of racoons in Germany. They were "introduced" in the 1930's for the same reason, to increase biodiversity. Hmm, there's no bears in Holland either, maybe they "introduce" them too? I'll have to do some digging to find out the brilliant reasons for turning beavers loose in Holland.

Well, hopefully they won't have the scale of the crisis they have in Australia after they "introduced" rabbits to the country. Hmm, "lets bring over some furry mammals that reproduce like you know what, into a country where they have no natural predators. What could go wrong?"

Actually, there have been plans to reintroduce bears and wolves, but only in what we call Flevoland, reclaimed land in the center of the Netherlands (part of the IJsselmeer), and specifically, in the Oostvaardersplassen. After the land was reclaimed, that area was given the chance to develop undisturbed by human hand, and is now a protected area.

But as far as I know, they dropped those plans.


#7    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

    Alien Abducter

  • Closed
  • 4,720 posts
  • Joined:25 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

View Postredhen, on 14 November 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Well, hopefully they won't have the scale of the crisis they have in Australia after they "introduced" rabbits to the country. Hmm, "lets bring over some furry mammals that reproduce like you know what, into a country where they have no natural predators. What could go wrong?"

And the cane toad.


#8    Hasina

Hasina

    Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

  • Member
  • 3,050 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • JINKIES

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 14 November 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:



The problem is not that they change things in nature, they 'change' the things we built to protect ourselves from drowning.
You're right, my sarcasm should've been: An invasive animal that we introduced ourselves is threatening to change something that we also changed which could kill us if they change it?! Quick! Move them or kill them!

Posted Image

~MEH~


#9    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,121 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 November 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

You're right, my sarcasm should've been: An invasive animal that we introduced ourselves is threatening to change something that we also changed which could kill us if they change it?! Quick! Move them or kill them!

The beavers were reintroduced - like the artcle said - to increase biodiversity. The problem is, however, that when they were still common ages ago, we didn't have all these dikes and so on, and a lot less people.

Yep, sorry for the beavers, but I'd rather feel sorry for them then for us.


#10    Hasina

Hasina

    Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

  • Member
  • 3,050 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • JINKIES

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 14 November 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

The beavers were reintroduced - like the artcle said - to increase biodiversity. The problem is, however, that when they were still common ages ago, we didn't have all these dikes and so on, and a lot less people.

Yep, sorry for the beavers, but I'd rather feel sorry for them then for us.
Oh I agree, human life over beaver life, and no, this time I'm not being sarcastic. Sometimes though I do like to be devil's advocate on some issues, usually through a joking manner so I don't offend people when I am. Though this time I was merely pointing out the irony. We change the environment, then they change what we've changed, and we flip.

Posted Image

~MEH~


#11    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,121 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 November 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Oh I agree, human life over beaver life, and no, this time I'm not being sarcastic. Sometimes though I do like to be devil's advocate on some issues, usually through a joking manner so I don't offend people when I am. Though this time I was merely pointing out the irony. We change the environment, then they change what we've changed, and we flip.

No, we won't flip, we will die.


#12    Hasina

Hasina

    Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

  • Member
  • 3,050 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • JINKIES

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 14 November 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

No, we won't flip, we will die.
You know what I meant, I was being facetious.

Posted Image

~MEH~





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users