Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Emergency data laws to be rushed in

Still Waters

Emergency powers to ensure police and security services can continue to access phone and internet records are being rushed through Parliament.

Prime Minister David Cameron has secured the backing of all three main parties for the highly unusual move.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-28237111

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with that, I have nothing to hide.

I was about to comment on that statement but then I saw your location and decided it would be a lost cause.

• Like 2

He said urgent action was needed to protect the public from "criminals and terrorists"

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-28237111

HAHAHAHA Camerwrong, internet records? how about sex scandal records and files, hope they are included? Plenty a criminal there to protect the children from.

Edited by freetoroam

I'm sure that most people have nothing to hide AT THE MOMENT.......but it's quite possible that some time in the future, something that you or I are doing quite legally now, becomes 'unacceptable' in the eyes of the Law or Government. They get to choose what is lawful or unlawful, and if they already have these 'Emergency Powers' in place, there are no boundaries to their surveillance powers which can then be implemented without further recourse to legislation or indeed, public notification!

• Like 4

Its gonna be tough on all the M.P.'s who are fiddling their taxes have 2nd homes or have girl friends on the side, or will they be exempt.

• Like 1

Its gonna be tough on all the M.P.'s who are fiddling their taxes have 2nd homes or have girl friends on the side, or will they be exempt.

I think most of us know the answer to that one.....don't we, kiddies?.....Reintroduce the 'Muzzle the Media' legislation next.

Stalin is dead, isn't he?

• Like 1

Everyone remain calm, The government have been collecting this information since 2006, The country hasn't gone to pot, and have shown their worth in catching criminals already, they are not listening to calls, only having access to phone records for whose phoning who and at what times. The simple fact is we wouldn't need any of these emergency powers, if it wasn't for the EU courts ruling which struck down the EU's own directive, and we wouldn't need to rush through legislation in Britain and this whole thing wouldn't even be in the news. and we'd all carry on as normal, oblivious. lets resume our oblivious state, the state we were in yesterday and the previous eight years. :rofl:

Edited by stevewinn

As such, there's nothing that wrong with this sort of rapid law passing, except for one teeny weeny thing...

So, all three parties can get together and within days enact a law like this. Good. Now let's see you three bloody shysters do the same with laws that are needed but are more in the public bloody interest. Amazing isn't it. Parliament can act so fast when it suits them, but any time it suits the public - their flaming bosses - they just drag out debates and waste more time.

• Like 1

Well, supposedly the data collection won't be for that kind of stuff (only "national security"). But that won't stop some hacker stealing it. Which WILL happen at some point.

You never know who will be sifting through the data, looking for people's personal info, banking passwords, emails etc. Systems can be infiltrated and it never gets noticed (happens every day). Most of the time when data is stolen it's an inside job by someone with legitimate access.

By advise is to use encryption and don't post your real life online (trust me, avoid facebook like the plague!) :)

Edited by Finity

I'm sure that most people have nothing to hide AT THE MOMENT.......but it's quite possible that some time in the future, something that you or I are doing quite legally now, becomes 'unacceptable' in the eyes of the Law or Government. They get to choose what is lawful or unlawful, and if they already have these 'Emergency Powers' in place, there are no boundaries to their surveillance powers which can then be implemented without further recourse to legislation or indeed, public notification!

I'm waiting for the day that they make even attempting to be anonymous online illegal completely illegal. The NSA already considers anyone who visits any websites that provide 3rd party internet browsers(such as tor) or operating systems(linux) to be doing suspicious activity and flags them for watching.

• Like 1

That is really a typical baa baa thing of the British to come out with. You realise that the Government isn't mum and dad there to look after us? You would be happy for the Government to remove your civil liberties cos you think they know best.

Everyone remain calm, The government have been collecting this information since 2006, The country hasn't gone to pot, and have shown their worth in catching criminals already, they are not listening to calls, only having access to phone records for whose phoning who and at what times. The simple fact is we wouldn't need any of these emergency powers, if it wasn't for the EU courts ruling which struck down the EU's own directive, and we wouldn't need to rush through legislation in Britain and this whole thing wouldn't even be in the news. and we'd all carry on as normal, oblivious. lets resume our oblivious state, the state we were in yesterday and the previous eight years. :rofl:

Who do you mean by "they"?

That is really a typical baa baa thing of the British to come out with. You realise that the Government isn't mum and dad there to look after us? You would be happy for the Government to remove your civil liberties cos you think they know best.

Who do you mean by "they"?

The police and security service.