Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

new and slightly crazed?

Lilacpetals

Alright, first off- Hello everyone! Very lovely to meet you all and I hope you don't mind if I post here now and then.

Now, to get right to the story, here we go:

When I was in my freshmen year of highschool, it happened to be the last day of school. All the students were going insane, saying goodbye to the seniors and to the teachers. I was a quiet child, I kept to myself and rarely bothered anyone. So, when something actually caught my attention- I looked up... Only to see my mother there. She made eye contact with me, smiled real big and brushed her black hair out of her face. She then waved at me. I, flabbergasted, waved back. I held my finger up in the 'one second' sign, then took off for my locker real fast. It was only down the hall, so I quickly got my things and returned to the section of the hall where she was... And, she was gone...

Now, here's why I was confused: I live with my grandmother, my mother lived 7 hours away at that point. I figured she came to visit, to see me at the last day as a Freshie. I got home, immediately asked my grandmother about it. She looked at me funny and simply told me that I was just excited for my last day and had been seeing things. She did, however, note that it was funny I mentioned the black hair, as the last time my mother had black hair was when she was pregnant with me...

I wasn't convinced and called my mother. I didn't bring up what happened, I just mentioned how my day went. She didn't say anything about it... It wasn't her.

Now, years have passed- I'm in my 3rd year of college and nothing so far has brought this up into my memory.. Until today. We recently moved onto my mothers property after all these years. It's a 100 acre farm, beautiful. Unfortunately for us, we have two very city, very spoiled Chihuahuas that my life revolves around. They are my children... Unhealthy? Maybe. Anyway, we walked up the hill to visit my mother, only to find that she had left to take my brother to work. On our way back down, I see my male chihuahua take off down the road. How did this happen?! I didn't leave the door open! I checked it! My mind started whirling. He wasn't coming back a hawk or a coyote would get him, that was for sure. I nearly started tearing up until...

I look down and see him at the end of his leash, just like he had been the whole walk up to my mothers house...

Erm-

I'm going insane.. Most certainly insane.

Thoughts? Thank you!

i don't think you are going insane..but i do wonder if you have had other 'strange' occurances? not like this, necessarily, where you see someone and then they are not there(or in the case of your doggie, you saw another dog maybe).

this is a story i will tell here with trepidation lol but just to let you know you are not alone in seeing things of this nature..

one day, my daughter, myself and my granddaughter went to our gate as usual, and, as my daughter went to unlock it, i got out of the truck and noticed this guy walking down the road. kinda odd, i mean, it was very rural, most drove, but there was one guy way down the road, about five miles who would do his 'walking thing' on a usual basis..tho he had never come down that far. but i just thought, well, that's him, and, we all saw him and thought that by the time we went through the gate he would reach us..and, in fact, i remember being more discreet as i had to ahem..relieve myself before we left :) this only took maybe a minute, maybe less. then we drove through the gate, and wa la, no guy..except, there were no roads for him to go down, it was a straight road with the barbed wire(county road). still, we were kinda surprised, so we drove slow to see if he had climbed under somewhere to get into the 'back area'..nothing..and this land was pretty flat, we would have seen him unless he flew..

strange things happen..and more and more lately, it seems..

I just posted something simular and became aware of a site called Redux or Matric. It takes courage to share such incidences.Proof that science can't explain what we all know can't be explained.

Except there are some who wouldn't accept a scientific explanation, even if it were given.

"There are more things twixt Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Except there are some who wouldn't accept a scientific explanation, even if it were given.

"There are more things twixt Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

An explanation is not scientific unless it has proof of its validity. Many times ' scientific explanations' are merely physicalist speculation and not scientific at all.

• Like 3

I have seen things like this. Never really put a reason to it. Reality is much deeper and complicated than we understand. Bi location has been a phenomenon observed many times by many people. Psychological or metaphysical it still dam shocking when it happens.

Edited by White Crane Feather

An explanation is not scientific unless it has proof of its validity. Many times ' scientific explanations' are merely physicalist speculation and not scientific at all.

Agreed, but what can you expect when the phenomena being reported are not reproducible, or "only" manifest when there are (rarely) independent neutral observers?

Agreed, but what can you expect when the phenomena being reported are not reproducible, or "only" manifest when there are (rarely) independent neutral observers?

That depends on what you mean my reproducible. Natural events nearly by definition are not reproducible. If you reproduce it, then it now becomes an unnatural event. ( if we define unnatural as man made).

Now. In many ways the event will be reproduced. There will be others that report this in the future. With a little attention and enough data, we might even be able to create a statistical prediction of how often these events occur or at least are reported. We already have statistics for things like NDEs. This allows us to create a statistical model. Then as the future unfolds we can test these predictions against reality. This does not, of course, explain the nature of the phenomenon. Only that it is a real phenomenon and not made up.

There are many events in nature that are rare. Supernova, large meteorite impacts, galactic collision. Reproducibility does not affect the reality of what something is or is not, only our ability to study it.

In short I would hope that people that are really interested in the truth would take an agnostic view of rare and interesting phenomenon. Skepticism is certainly needed, but all to often Cynicism is disguised as skepticism. People that accept a physicalist axiom will attempt to explain what a phenomenon is within that axiom. The axiom itself may be wrong or limited. Speculation about a phenomenon is not the end of the process.

In this particular case its not a big deal. The problem arises when people offer a 'scientific' explanation that is really just speculation, then others accept it as the truth. Its a big problem in things like NDEs were entire books have been written giving 'scientific' explanations that are not at all scientific. Even to the point that some physicalists accept the explanations as truth without a shred of any kind of evidence. Or the evidences that they offer suffer from severe assuming the conclusion logical problems.

• Like 1

And the reverse is also true. Those who are inclined to assuming that every odd noise or sight is something 'otherworldly', simply because that is the axiom by which they evaluate the world. Be truthful, how many times have you read a post on these boards, where the poster presents a "true" experience or event they claim is supernatural/alien/demonic/godly, with no other evidence but their own testimony?

Take for example the UFO enthusiast. Every object they see in the sky is a UFO, because they desire it to be so. And when they re-tell the tale, their subconscious desire to see an extraterrestrial craft supplies 'details' that were not present at the time of observance.

Now, I am NOT stating that every person who sees/feels/hears something odd is lying or distorting the truth; but I do believe that a healthy dose of skepticism ( not cynicism) is required to look at these incidents with an objective eye.

Just as it is improper for a scientist to categorically deny these incidents without examining the case, it is equally improper to automatically accept them.

• Like 1

Fascinating story. Reality and the mind are strange. Sometimes it's hard to tell which one (or both) is poking the other with a stick.

I do believe that a healthy dose of skepticism ( not cynicism) is required to look at these incidents with an objective eye.

Just as it is improper for a scientist to categorically deny these incidents without examining the case, it is equally improper to automatically accept them.

Good to hear a balanced opinion around here once in a while.

And the reverse is also true. Those who are inclined to assuming that every odd noise or sight is something 'otherworldly', simply because that is the axiom by which they evaluate the world. Be truthful, how many times have you read a post on these boards, where the poster presents a "true" experience or event they claim is supernatural/alien/demonic/godly, with no other evidence but their own testimony?

Take for example the UFO enthusiast. Every object they see in the sky is a UFO, because they desire it to be so. And when they re-tell the tale, their subconscious desire to see an extraterrestrial craft supplies 'details' that were not present at the time of observance.

Now, I am NOT stating that every person who sees/feels/hears something odd is lying or distorting the truth; but I do believe that a healthy dose of skepticism ( not cynicism) is required to look at these incidents with an objective eye.

agreed. No argument here.