Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

do souls seek each other

Lucas Cooper Merrin

Lets say that reincarnation is how it works when we die, there have been various threads and discussions on this topic recently, and also quite alot of stories and experiences to support this theory, especially with young children remembering past lives.

What ive been thinking about is do our souls seek out past partners/family/friends, do we subconsciously find and connect with age old soul mates, once a strong connection is made with a person/s are we then locked in a universal magnetism throughout time, and always drawn to together one way or another,

I met my best friend 6 years ago and the moment i was introduced to him it was like id known him my entire life, we are closer than brothers, i find it more than just coincidence that we randomly met and had such a strong bond almost instantly. And i genuinely feel i could not live without him! Im sure everybody has somebody the same, whether it be a spouse or family member, but everybody has somebody that they cannot live without,

Do souls come in pairs? And the purpose of life is nothing more than to find your soul partner?

Are we merely a positive seeking our negative to balance the polarity?

Thoughts??

• Like 5

Okay, let's say reincarnation is how it works, then yes, on that level, I feel we do seek or know others we have had past connections with.

I have felt that, quiet strongly ... only felt it though . Do souls come in pairs ? I dont think so. Some think they split in two and need to come together again. The 'soul mate' concept goes back pretty far in philosophy (as does the idea of reincarnation ).

But ... 'souls' what are they ?

I have my own different definition of soul. I dont think I need another to be whole.

But I am interested in others who are whole beings ( or developing towards that), not one who looks for me to fulfill what is missing in them. I see the split and the joining of the two halves back together as the process of finding oneness in the self - perhaps it is the self' 'emotive soul' and the ego that need to find each other, and some seek that when they sense it in another,

I dont think it is good idea to attach to another to get what one seeks from their own soul or ego, whatever the case may be. But two people, developed, that have found their wholeness can 'dance' fantastically together.

No, I dont agree that any version of what you or I said is the only purpose of life at all .... NOOOOO :no:

Merely ? :no: But balancing the + and the - is crucial in many things, its an underlying principle in much of life, and certainly developing the self, on numerous levels. But dont forget the 3rd principle that does the balancing between the + and -

• Like 2

Interesting, Makes you wonder, When I was younger, Around 10 or 11 I used to have a recurring dream for months that I was a Victorian housemaid working for a well off family,I don't remember many details of the dreams now but I seemed to like the family I worked for.

When I started the job I'm in now, I instantly got along with my boss who is the same age as me and felt like I'd known her for years and she said the same way about me

We got talking one day and I told her about these dreams I used to have and she looked at me like I was mad, She used to have a dream that she was the owner of a large house in Victorian times and had a few servants etc, Like me, She couldn't remember too many details of the dreams as they happened when she was young but she says they lasted for a few months too. We both thought it was quite spooky but funny too, Maybe she was my boss in a previous life!

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 4

Nice topic Father Merrin. I have always been interested in the reincarnation topic.

I find myself drawn to the renaissance period without any explanation so I've always wondered myself. Whenever I go to the local Renn Festival (and I dress up in period costume). I just feel so *at home* and comfortable. When others are around me dressed the same and speaking as they would back then I feel like I've been there. It's weird and hard to explain. I'm also very drawn to rolling hills and village settings and I *think* it might be Scottish Highlands or something; that's what I've narrowed it down to anyways. Also, guys in Kilt's - it's not just because i think it's cool and sexy but moreso a weird connection like that's familiar too. I'm in the US so I've never known a guy to wear a kilt so it's not a normal thing to see around here. I felt very connected to the land when I visited Scotland too.

Funny thing is I have no Scottish heritage so I just don't get it. My ancestors are Italian, Irish, and French Caribbean Islander (St. Bart's) so I have no idea where this feeling comes from with Scotland.

The only other strong pull I have is to the Caribbean Islands and the water there...but that makes sense to my because my grandmother lived on St. Bart's until she turned 18 and moved to NYC and met my grandfather. I never met her though she died very young.

Someone told me once about something called "twin souls"? I have to re-google it to show you a link because I remember thinking it was cool but I don't really remember all the details. Okay it's called Twin Flames (not souls) and here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_flame

It's just one of those cool mysterious things for me I guess and another reason I ended up here on this particular site. It's fun to think about and wonder about...I guess we'll never really know.

• Like 4

If we're operating under the assumption that reincarnation is real, I'd not think that a person's soul would attract to specific others, since that would imply that a freefloating soul could somehow pick its body. However, I do think it'd make sense that a soul would resonate when it came into contact with other souls that shared characteristics with it. So, if you were to meet someone with a certain set of criteria, then you'd feel some sort of connection. The flipside is that groups of people have known each other and been connected for centuries, and tend to reincarnate in proximity to each other. I don't think it'd be a mix, though; any natural process tends to be relatively uniform.

But, it's all speculation, since we don't even know if "souls" are real. It's an interesting thing to ponder, however.

• Like 1

If souls seek each other? IMHO, the answer is no if the question is a reference to soul as an existing being. The logical truth is that souls do not exist per se.

It happens that when the Lord formed man from the dust of the earth, He breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul. That's in Genesis 2:7. To become is to be and not to have. What one has can be taken away; what one is, he is no matter what. Therefore, we are souls; we don't have souls. In other words, soul is the combination of the breath of life with the body. Hence, soul is the same as a person. At death, the body goes back to the dust and the breath of life returns to God Who gave it. (Eccles. 12:7) Here, the soul which was that combination is just non-existent.

Do souls come in pairs? And the purpose of life is nothing more than to find your soul partner?

My husband and I have discussed this vary topic so many times between us. We are so well suited to one another, plus we have the uncanny ability to know what the other is thinking even before anything is mentioned....its downright scary, and I really am at a loss to explain it. Really didn't believe in ESP until I met him....still unsure what is going on, but it happens a lot. This is the first and only marriage for both of us, and I do feel like I have met my soulmate.

• Like 2

Nice topic Father Merrin. I have always been interested in the reincarnation topic.

I find myself drawn to the renaissance period without any explanation so I've always wondered myself. Whenever I go to the local Renn Festival (and I dress up in period costume). I just feel so *at home* and comfortable. When others are around me dressed the same and speaking as they would back then I feel like I've been there. It's weird and hard to explain. I'm also very drawn to rolling hills and village settings and I *think* it might be Scottish Highlands or something; that's what I've narrowed it down to anyways. Also, guys in Kilt's - it's not just because i think it's cool and sexy but moreso a weird connection like that's familiar too. I'm in the US so I've never known a guy to wear a kilt so it's not a normal thing to see around here. I felt very connected to the land when I visited Scotland too.

Funny thing is I have no Scottish heritage so I just don't get it. My ancestors are Italian, Irish, and French Caribbean Islander (St. Bart's) so I have no idea where this feeling comes from with Scotland.

The only other strong pull I have is to the Caribbean Islands and the water there...but that makes sense to my because my grandmother lived on St. Bart's until she turned 18 and moved to NYC and met my grandfather. I never met her though she died very young.

Someone told me once about something called "twin souls"? I have to re-google it to show you a link because I remember thinking it was cool but I don't really remember all the details. Okay it's called Twin Flames (not souls) and here is the link: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Twin_flame

It's just one of those cool mysterious things for me I guess and another reason I ended up here on this particular site. It's fun to think about and wonder about...I guess we'll never really know.

I tend to think that pull is just our human tenancy to romanticize other situations other than our own. In reality, life in the renaissance period was really really terrible for like 98% of people, and especially women. I am sure you are not ignorant of this, you are a smart lady. I am just pointing it out because I too tend to romanticize certain eras in history but I know if I went back in a time machine I would probably have an emotional breakdown after a day and want desperately to go back to my current life where women had great things like tampons and rights.

• Like 2

I tend to think that pull is just our human tenancy to romanticize other situations other than our own. In reality, life in the renaissance period was really really terrible for like 98% of people, and especially women. I am sure you are not ignorant of this, you are a smart lady. I am just pointing it out because I too tend to romanticize certain eras in history but I know if I went back in a time machine I would probably have an emotional breakdown after a day and want desperately to go back to my current life where women had great things like tampons and rights.

Love your beautiful new picture Woods! ♥

Oh yes, I get what you are saying...random bathing, no refridgeration, horrible diseases, no woman's rights, I totally get what you're saying. I don't know. It just seems *familiar* to me; maybe that wording is more accurate.

I think it could be possible. I like to hold on the the thought that my soul mate is still out there. But

then it's hard to believe at times.

I think it could be possible. I like to hold on the the thought that my soul mate is still out there. But

then it's hard to believe at times.

"My soul mate" is only an embellishment for a person we dream to live with for the rest of our life. Soul and person are one and the same as soul is only the combination of body with the breath of life. (Gen. 2:7)

Off the assumption that reincarnation is real, would it make sense to have multiple soul mates? To pull out an example,

Interesting, Makes you wonder, When I was younger, Around 10 or 11 I used to have a recurring dream for months that I was a Victorian housemaid working for a well off family,I don't remember many details of the dreams now but I seemed to like the family I worked for.

When I started the job I'm in now, I instantly got along with my boss who is the same age as me and felt like I'd known her for years and she said the same way about me

We got talking one day and I told her about these dreams I used to have and she looked at me like I was mad, She used to have a dream that she was the owner of a large house in Victorian times and had a few servants etc, Like me, She couldn't remember too many details of the dreams as they happened when she was young but she says they lasted for a few months too. We both thought it was quite spooky but funny too, Maybe she was my boss in a previous life!

would the souls of the other family members and servants have the same connection?

I haven't felt anything I would describe as a "soul mate" type connection, whether romantically, professionally, or casually. (Not to say that I don't have friends, just that I don't feel that perfect understanding.) Have I just not found it yet, or do independent souls exist?

If souls seek each other? IMHO, the answer is no if the question is a reference to soul as an existing being. The logical truth is that souls do not exist per se.

It happens that when the Lord formed man from the dust of the earth, He breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul. That's in Genesis 2:7. To become is to be and not to have. What one has can be taken away; what one is, he is no matter what. Therefore, we are souls; we don't have souls. In other words, soul is the combination of the breath of life with the body. Hence, soul is the same as a person. At death, the body goes back to the dust and the breath of life returns to God Who gave it. (Eccles. 12:7) Here, the soul which was that combination is just non-existent.

I'd like to point out that the purpose of this thread isn't whether souls exist, but under the assumption that they do, how they operate. Please don't take this the wrong way--you are absolutely entitled to your statements. If nothing else, consider it a theoretical exercise.

• Like 1

Apologies, i started this thread and haven't replied to any of you, i didnt mean to be rude, ive just been struggling with directional concentration the last week or so,

Off the assumption that reincarnation is real, would it make sense to have multiple soul mates? To pull out an example,

would the souls of the other family members and servants have the same connection?

I haven't felt anything I would describe as a "soul mate" type connection, whether romantically, professionally, or casually. (Not to say that I don't have friends, just that I don't feel that perfect understanding.) Have I just not found it yet, or do independent souls exist?

I'd like to point out that the purpose of this thread isn't whether souls exist, but under the assumption that they do, how they operate. Please don't take this the wrong way--you are absolutely entitled to your statements. If nothing else, consider it a theoretical exercise.

Yes the purpose of this thread is mearly hypothetical, but im sure there are many of us that have had meetings with people totally out of the blue but with an instant connection that has blossomed into a wonderful life long friendship, whether it be coincidence, cosmic forces or soul magnetism i dont know, but i feel we are drawn to certain people with no obvious reason,

im no longer a religious man, religion in my opinion is no more than a cloaked method to control the masses, although i fully respect that many find hope and a meaningful reason through belief, having said that i do think there is more to us than flesh and bone, i think we are in a constant tumble of energy recycling, when our bodys fail our life force/soul continues to the next available vessel, and so the cycle continues, and during these cycles the life energy makes unbreakable bonds.

"My soul mate" is only an embellishment for a person we dream to live with for the rest of our life. Soul and person are one and the same as soul is only the combination of body with the breath of life. (Gen. 2:7)

Yes "soulmate" is a human concept for a life partner, but i believe these connections survive death and reactivate in the next life,

Okay, let's say reincarnation is how it works, then yes, on that level, I feel we do seek or know others we have had past connections with.

I have felt that, quiet strongly ... only felt it though . Do souls come in pairs ? I dont think so. Some think they split in two and need to come together again. The 'soul mate' concept goes back pretty far in philosophy (as does the idea of reincarnation ).

But ... 'souls' what are they ?

I have my own different definition of soul. I dont think I need another to be whole.

But I am interested in others who are whole beings ( or developing towards that), not one who looks for me to fulfill what is missing in them. I see the split and the joining of the two halves back together as the process of finding oneness in the self - perhaps it is the self' 'emotive soul' and the ego that need to find each other, and some seek that when they sense it in another,

I dont think it is good idea to attach to another to get what one seeks from their own soul or ego, whatever the case may be. But two people, developed, that have found their wholeness can 'dance' fantastically together.

No, I dont agree that any version of what you or I said is the only purpose of life at all .... NOOOOO :no:

Merely ? :no: But balancing the + and the - is crucial in many things, its an underlying principle in much of life, and certainly developing the self, on numerous levels. But dont forget the 3rd principle that does the balancing between the + and -

I like your thinking,

My theory on the pairs comes from observing nature, there is an opposite to everthing on earth and without one of the opposites the other would cease to exhist as we know them, examples: without darkness light would have no concept it would just be a constant unobservable unnoticed "nothing" its the darkness that defines the light... love is nothing without hate, we need the opposite to make the other relevant and to even exhist, life death, hot cold, rough smooth, dry wet, the list is infinite, and everything has an opposite so why not a soul aswell?

I agree with you that "finding your opposite half" is not the purpose of life but i do think it is a cosmic constant. The energy magnetism is force of which we have no conscious awareness of, the unconscious part of us is locked in a constant attraction to find its polar opposite

Someone told me once about something called "twin souls"? I have to re-google it to show you a link because I remember thinking it was cool but I don't really remember all the details. Okay it's called Twin Flames (not souls) and here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_flame

i can really relate to that she-ra, i too have been drawn to different era's for no obvious reason, i remember when the film Braveheart came out and watching it triggerd very faint kind of de ja vue type sensations in me, almost like that way of life seemed vaguely familiar,

just because you have no Scottish heritage dosnt mean your life energy once resided there, i have a strong yearning for Great Britain for no reason as im from French heritage.

speaking of de ja vue....do you think that could be described as "soul memory"?

If we're operating under the assumption that reincarnation is real, I'd not think that a person's soul would attract to specific others, since that would imply that a freefloating soul could somehow pick its body. However, I do think it'd make sense that a soul would resonate when it came into contact with other souls that shared characteristics with it. So, if you were to meet someone with a certain set of criteria, then you'd feel some sort of connection. The flipside is that groups of people have known each other and been connected for centuries, and tend to reincarnate in proximity to each other. I don't think it'd be a mix, though; any natural process tends to be relatively uniform.

But, it's all speculation, since we don't even know if "souls" are real. It's an interesting thing to ponder, however.

Here is something else to ponder...... there are people on this earth that excel so much in their chosen field/sport/career that others cannot even come close, a few of us stand out so far from the crown it cant possibly be just "skill" or "practice" or "hardwork" some people just appear to be so naturally good at something that they are described as "born to do it"......Albert Einstein, Tiger Woods, Pele, Ayrton Senna, Floyd Mayweather, Richard Branson, Rembrandt, Nikola Tesla, Da Vinci, Bruce lee, the list is endless of people so good at their "thing" it defies explanation, and here's what ive been thinking, still on the theory of reincarnation and soul memory...could a certain amount of these superskilled people be like the children who have memories of past lives but instead of memories they have skills or experience that was retained through the recycling process, and by coincidence these skills have been adaptable or highly relevant in their new life, giving them the edge due to the fact they have multiple lifes of experience and practice,

Im not suggesting by my theory that this is common and applys to us all, just the few that happen to retain soul memory and happen to fall into similar circumstances during each reincarnation. ..

Again, just a wild thought on it all

• Like 1

Interesting experience cat,

Its like a friendship de ja vue,

Coincidence is a word too commonly used in my opinion, maybe we are in a multiple dimension type cycle, where our soul passes over to a newer more modern version of the past life in a continual loop,

I can't help but think everything is "set up" in particular, meaningful ways.

My best friend, for instance, is the only person I've ever met who seems to be identical to me in all the ways that matter to me. In some ways I'm the yin to her yang (and that has been, interestingly enough, reversed in the past) but the basic substrate from which the yin and yang spring from seem to be the same place.

We were next door neighbors for our entire childhood, randomly decided to actually go outside one day for once and bam- there she was. Crazy coincidental.

We're actually not as close anymore but that's just because of "real life"-related things. Still have a lot of respect for her and our friendship, though, even if sometimes it doesn't show through.

I also think if this weren't the case there wouldn't be so many of us and our social directives wouldn't be so strong. There's gotta be something to it.

Yes "soulmate" is a human concept for a life partner, but i believe these connections survive death and reactivate in the next life,

According to the Prophets of the Lord, there is no life after death and no one will ever return from the grave. You can check Isaiah 26:14; II Sam. 12:23 and Job 10:21.

The rest is only to feed the superstitious' delusions.

According to the Prophets of the Lord, there is no life after death and no one will ever return from the grave. You can check Isaiah 26:14; II Sam. 12:23 and Job 10:21.

The rest is only to feed the superstitious' delusions.

and this is only relevant if you believe the old hebrew bible, of which i dont

Edited by Father Merrin

and this is only relevant if you believe the old hebrew bible, of which i dont

Okay but, how are you going to explain the Pauline policy of Replacement Theology in order to build up Christianity? (Acts 11:26)

Okay but, how are you going to explain the Pauline policy of Replacement Theology in order to build up Christianity? (Acts 11:26)

whats st Paul got anything to do with anything i said?? You have lost me?