Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How did Uranus get its tilt ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: NASA</strong>
Image credit: NASA
Theories as to how the planet Uranus ended up rotating on its side range from a gradual wobble to a cataclysmic collision, but astronomers now think a large moon may have pulled the gas giant 97 degrees to the vertical.

"One of the most enduring mysteries of the Solar System may be a step closer to being solved. Although the general consensus is that Uranus was involved in some kind of cosmic hit-and-run, two researchers from Paris think the gas giant may have gradually wobbled over millions of years, eventually tipping due to the presence of a large moon."

Posted Image View: Full Article | Posted Image Source: Discovery News

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    aot_x

aot_x

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

• "...Open mind for a different view...and nothing else matters..."

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:24 PM

I am not comfortable with this question..... :unsure2:
LMAO!

“All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.” ... Sean O'Casey

aotx.deviantart.com

#3    Dimension_X

Dimension_X

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

• "You can never plan the future by the past."

Edmund Burke

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

Maybe the moons of Saturn (I think)

The experiences associated with death were seen as visits to important dimensions of reality that deserved to be experienced, studied, and carefully mapped.

Stanislav Grof

Posted Image

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,785 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

I'm sure someone soon will be posting here about Wandering Planets. I think the collision theory is better. If it was a moon, or planetoid that offset the axis, you would think it would have had to be close for a long time, so it would still be there. I would believe this theory more if there was a large ring around Uranus.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,686 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

View Postaot_x, on 08 December 2009 - 02:24 PM, said:

I am not comfortable with this question..... :unsure2:
LMAO!

Haha yeah, it's epic.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#6    odiesbsc

odiesbsc

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

• Some folks drink from the fountain of knowledge. Some folks just gargle and spit it out.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I know how mine got its tilt.  :o  :P  :lol:  :innocent:  :blush:  :w00t:  :devil:

As you slide down the water slide of life, may none of your swimming suits give you a permanent wedgie.

~Ancient Polynesian Greeting~

If the teacher has no DNA testing apperatus, you're probably safe blaming the booger you wiped on her computer screen on someone else.

~American Defense Lawyers' Ethics Training Book for Children~

#7    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:47 PM

I think it happened when mercury bent it over the bathroom sink.

Edited by SpiderCyde, 08 December 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#8    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

View PostSpiderCyde, on 08 December 2009 - 08:47 PM, said:

I think it happened when mercury bent it over the bathroom sink.
:no: Terrible.

Posted Image

#9    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,451 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:01 PM

I thought this wa a a joke, but for the life of me I couldn't think of the punchline.
Well, i could think of a few punchlines, but none that would be suitable.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#10    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,524 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

our large moon keeps earth from wobbling.  so how come this much smaller moon incomperison would pull the planet over on it's side.

Edited by danielost, 08 December 2009 - 09:18 PM.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,785 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

View Postdanielost, on 08 December 2009 - 09:18 PM, said:

our large moon keeps earth from wobbling.  so how come this much smaller moon incomperison would pull the planet over on it's side.
Maybe if that moon had a Polar Orbit???? I don't think that are any known moons with polar orbits.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    Xammu

Xammu

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

• Sometimes, fear has the appropiate response...

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:28 AM

Uranus probably just formed that way.  A moon could not be able to pull a planet on it's side, and an impact large enough to topple over a planet 15 times the mass of Earth would throw up enormus amounts of debirs, and Uranus' atmosphere would show very chaotic disturbances that would take billions of years to subside (they would still be clearly visible today, but voyaget images show no such disturbances).

On a side note, I think the astronamy community seriously needs to rename Uranus.  You can't even bring up the topic with out triggering a few snickers.  The guy who discovered Uranus back in 1781 would not be pleased with what it has become today.  Since most of its moons are named after characters from Shakespeares works, the new name should come from there as well.

Edited by Xammu, 11 December 2009 - 05:28 AM.

Posted Image

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.

-Thoreau

#13    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:13 AM

According to Egyptian Genesis, the God Ptah was bored, alone on the Eternal Mound, so he played with himself and created the Universe... before the Universe was populated Ptah might invented the first snow ball fight, trowing planets against each other, thus the tilt in Uranus.. and the Earth :P

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#14    glyndowers heir

glyndowers heir

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

• We Are What We Are,
    But Some Of Us Are Not What We Seem!

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

How did Uranus get its tilt ?

It's the result of a tragic accident in my early childhood - not something I want to talk about without my therapist being present :cry:

Some people are like Slinkys ™! -
they don't do much good when they sit around ,
but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs

#15    PsiPup

PsiPup

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

• You believe yours, I'll believe mine. We'll leave it at that.

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

Of course I had to rehash this one just for the shear fun of it.

Now can we stop talking about Uranus at dinnertime? I don't think it's proper talk! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users