Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans hunted and ate Neanderthals?

Still Waters

Humans today eat gorillas and chimpanzees, so why would our prehistoric ancestors flinch at sitting down to a nicely roasted Neanderthal?

That's the shocking new hypothesis being raised by anthropologists in Spain who wonder if our closest extinct relative was exterminated in the same way as 178 other large mammals, so called megafauna, which are suspected of going at least partially by the hand of hungry human hunters.

http://science.nbcne...anderthals?lite

• Like 1

They don't sound sure about it, no real evidence, but it wouldn't surprise me. People today have practiced cannibalism if there wasn't anything else to eat.

• Like 4

I bet they tasted like chicken ;)

• Like 3

They don't sound sure about it, no real evidence, but it wouldn't surprise me. People today have practiced cannibalism if there wasn't anything else to eat.

HERE BE CANNIBALS

CANNIBALISM IN THE FIJI ISLANDS

http://www.heretical...nibal/fiji.html

"Japanese people taste the best - whites are too salty!"

http://www.bild.de/n...16750.bild.html

CANNIBALISM & VODKA

http://www.mayhem.ne...me/ukraine.html

Not sure about it... and here's a crackpot who thought Neanderthals were like man-eating gorilla's from a horror movie:

post-18246-0-87876600-1369300762_thumb.j

Them and Us

Neanderthal predation theory

NP theory reveals that Eurasian Neanderthals hunted, killed and cannibalised early humans for 50,000 years in an area of the Middle East known as the Mediterranean Levant (see map, below).

http://www.themandus.org/

And here someone on UM ("Kantzveldt") supporting the theory:

http://www.unexplain...00#entry3889581

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

Reason 641 for why Neanderthals died out...

Can't wait to hear the next one.

• Like 4

Cannibalism is said to test the bounds of human behavior. It does and has existed. But, I might argue that Neanderthals may have died simply because of disease brought upon them by the migrating humans. Historically we see this die-off effect when the Europeans first interacted with the new world Native American populations who lacked the immunities of the Europeans.

• Like 1

It is an interesting thought to consider that we might have lasted longer than the Neanderthals because we thought nothing of eating them, where as they died out because they thought eating homo-sapiens was to close to cannibalism for their liking...

• Like 2

No more barbaric and disgusting than the meat farming industry.

They only ate free-roaming humans, lol. So that's a good thing; they didn't keep them in pens.

• Like 4

Free range, grass fed Neanderthals...?

Another stupid theory of why the Neanderthals are gone. Dirty little secret they are still with us they interbreed with us and we absorbed them into our gene pool.

• Like 1

I was actually referring to the fact people are disgusted by cannibalism in general. Shame the same doesn't apply to the other animals on the planet.

For you it's all the same? Meat is meat, whether animal or human?

Well, in fact it is and many have thought the same. When I'm dead, they may eat me.

• Like 2

Cannibalism is said to test the bounds of human behavior. It does and has existed. But, I might argue that Neanderthals may have died simply because of disease brought upon them by the migrating humans. Historically we see this die-off effect when the Europeans first interacted with the new world Native American populations who lacked the immunities of the Europeans.

Perhaps, however that could have gone both ways. These were not isolated island populations of humans in some benign environment like say the Hawaiians. Neanderthals were far ranging and probably had their own endemic diseases which could have equally deadly.

I find it ironic that there is an ad for dna.ancestry.com at the bottom of the comment section!

Also, so "Meat is Murder" could be a true statement after all, lol.

• Like 1

Eating you when you're dead and actually being killed to be eaten are different kettles of fish, though.

A different kettle of vegetables I hope... ;)

lol, I think academia should be banned from theorizing on the Neanderthals, unless they actually have evidence. Seems theres a new wild theory every few weeks, I doubt all of them are true.

• Like 3

Hell, we hunt and eat everything else, so its not that hard to believe.

I was actually referring to the fact people are disgusted by cannibalism in general. Shame the same doesn't apply to the other animals on the planet.

Yes, funny how a little bit of human meat causes consumers to freak out and spoil their whole meal isn't it?

Oh, the irony.

• Like 1

Shocking? We're talking about homo sapiens behaviour, right? You know, the ones who hunt down and eat pygmies, in the 21st century.

I think they need to be concerned about who is being eaten today.

No more barbaric and disgusting than the meat farming industry.

*yawn*

*snore*

It is the same to me, yes. Human beings have been proven to be able to live happy, long, healthy and prosperous lives as vegetarians so I see no reason to continue the slaughter of animals. They've given enough to mankind imo.

*zzzZZZZZzzzz*

Yes, funny how a little bit of human meat causes consumers to freak out and spoil their whole meal isn't it?

Oh, the irony.

*flatline*

• Like 1

there's been dozens of (human) skeletons found that have knife marks from being de-fleshed, but unfortunately, it's impossible to know if they were de-fleshed for ritualistic purposes or for the pot, so we'll never really know for sure.

unless quite a few turn up with human teeth-marks where they've been gnawed upon that is.....

Sex or BBQ must have been a tough choice.

• Like 1

Sex or BBQ must have been a tough choice.

depends if she was a looker or not I suppose!

;-)