Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are Mormons a cult ?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,998 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

View Postmonk 56, on 06 November 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Hi Simbi,

I'm a cantankerous disabled old *******, please see the humour, i'm getting near the point that i'm going on a journey, but i can still be active in debate sometimes, ha ha!

U.S History, you have had 4 Presidents assassinated, two who assassinated had associations with Oneida Community, being Charles Guiteau, and Leon Czolgosz, why wasn't that observed in Detective work, why should i be Sam Spade, obviously i'm a Cantankerous old *******!   I will not be available for much longer!

Note this under "Legacy" on link below, you know i won't end it there, at least one will show connection to Sirius or  Alnilam...oops, I'm cantankerous old ******** ha ha!

http://en.wikipedia....neida_Community
What the?

#17    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 06 November 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

The FLDS is a cult.  The children are brought up on communes.  They are taught that their duty is to have as many children as possible which will raise them higher in heaven.  They will 'marry' any man 'The Prophet' tells them to, even if it means that they change husbands several times because hteir husband has fallen out of favour with the prophet.  The communes are VERY isolated and in the past the parameters were patrolled by young boys with guns.  It is quite a scary thing to think in this day and age that things like this are still happening. :no:

I think you are picking the worst case scenario though. Most Mormons are more like Napoleon Dynamite.

Posted Image

#18    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

• Beam Moo Up!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostJGirl, on 06 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

i'm not sure why you're referring to the masons as a cult. it's a lodge; a fraternity; an old boy's club.
they have an open bible at their meetings and make some references to 'the master architect' but it is by no means a religion, never mind a cult
It is a religious organization with alot of secrets and rituals. So would'nt it be considered a cult.....A Masonic Cult ?

One man's TOOL is another man's TOY ! :tu:

#19    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 06 November 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

All religions are cults, doesn't mean if its unheard of or rare does not mean its a cult

View PostMissMelsWell, on 06 November 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

The word cult is virtually meaningless unless you pre-define it.

In some christian circles, LDS, JW's, Unitarians, and sometimes Quakers are labeled as "Christian Cults" but it isn't suppose to carry the negative connotation that most people associate with the word. They get called Christian Cults for the simple fact that they aren't Trinitarians.
Any groups that carries "magic underwear" against Native American arrows belong to a cult.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#20    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

View Postmfrmboy, on 06 November 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

It is a religious organization with alot of secrets and rituals. So would'nt it be considered a cult.....A Masonic Cult ?
it is not a religious organization. and they have no secrets other than those they create themselves by being secretive. their rituals are not what you seem to think they are.
i was married to a mason for over twenty years,

#21    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,705 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostVein Capital, on 06 November 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

I think you are picking the worst case scenario though. Most Mormons are more like Napoleon Dynamite.
that is why I said FLDS not LDS.  And if you had grown up near one of the communes you'd understand.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#22    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 06 November 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

that is why I said FLDS not LDS.  And if you had grown up near one of the communes you'd understand.

They are also not representative of the Moron religion, they are a fringe group. There are less than 10000 members compared to 14 million LDS.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#23    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,705 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostGrey14, on 06 November 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

They are also not representative of the Moron religion, they are a fringe group. There are less than 10000 members compared to 14 million LDS.

I know that.  The OP asked about religion and cults.  I was saying yes there is one I know about.  I grew up in a town thay had both 'real' mormons and the ones who like yo claim they are mormons.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#24    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,714 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Mormons may have started out cult like so did all of Christianity, but I don't think they fall into that category now.

I have had lots of Mormon clients and friends over the years. Very nice and very spiritual people I do like them.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#25    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,524 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

The basic concept of Cult can be differentiated by the object of worship... wheras sects may have differing beliefs, but objectively worship God himself, Cults would favour the worship of a person in the place of God.

Is Joseph Smith just a Prophet, or is he something more than that, what is his special relationship to God contrasted with all others? Does he place God and Jesus in the correct light?

God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.

History of the Church, Vol. 6, pp. 408-409

Address of the Prophet - His Testimony Against the Dissenters at Nauvoo.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#26    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Personal perception is my answer. If you're part of a religion and there are sects of it, you may view those as cults, you may view other religions as cults, etc and so forth. If you're atheistic you may view a religion or spiritual group or whateva as cults. It's all in what you perceive as your personal belief, what you see as a 'religion' and what you see as a 'cult'. For me, it's all wordswordswords, cults, religions, lack of belief, it all can help and it all can hurt.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#27    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,713 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostJor-el, on 06 November 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

The basic concept of Cult can be differentiated by the object of worship... wheras sects may have differing beliefs, but objectively worship God himself, Cults would favour the worship of a person in the place of God.

Is Joseph Smith just a Prophet, or is he something more than that, what is his special relationship to God contrasted with all others? Does he place God and Jesus in the correct light?

God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.

History of the Church, Vol. 6, pp. 408-409

Address of the Prophet - His Testimony Against the Dissenters at Nauvoo.

He's oohh sooo modest.

#28    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,524 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 06 November 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

He's oohh sooo modest.

Therin I think lies the distinction between a sect of a religion and a cult.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#29    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,249 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

View Postmfrmboy, on 06 November 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Never thought of my Grandfather and friends as mambers of a cult .....The Masons.
Technically,masons are an ordered organization ,with alleged secret rituals .
It's not a religion as far as I know.
You can be a Catholic ,and a mason

Miss me?

#30    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,249 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

View PostParacelse, on 06 November 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Any groups that carries "magic underwear" against Native American arrows belong to a cult.
Technically,orthodox Jews ,and the Japanese ,wear special underwear that is alleged to protect them.
One is religious,one is cultural .
This is nothing new .

Miss me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users