Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you sacrifice yourself for every one?

Brian Topp

You awake up in a room, you notice you are sitting on a metal chair and a metal table that is weilded into floor. You look around the room and notice a door on one side of the room but it has no door handle. You also see a mirror that covers one wall.

After as soon as you stood up a man wearing a 1950's buisness suit walks in. He smiles and tells you to sit down, with out a thought of argument you sit down.

A chair appears on the other side of the table and he sits down. He smiles and looks at you.

He then tells you, in a polite voice that you have been chosen to do the most difficult task in the history of man kind. He tells you that that the sun's energy would run out and the world will die in matter of minutes. So each year they pick a random person from the entire planet to help save the planet by.. he pauses.. removing your exsistance from the planet. It is not killing you but to no longer exsist, your history been removed and the things that happen will be altered, the children you made will be erased from history.

When he told you this, you can clearly see he is telling the truth and he waits as you give him your answer.

Will you?

So they're just delaying the inevitable by erasing random people? Wouldn't it get to the point they've removed the human race?

I'd still have to say no. They've got jails full of criminals, erase some murderers.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

So they're just delaying the inevitable by erasing random people? Wouldn't it get to the point they've removed the human race?

Never mind, I thought you said they pick random people.

I'd still have to say no. They've got jails full of criminals, erase some murderers.

What only half a child is born each year????

I have done nonthing worth noting so I would say yes.

• Like 1

What only half a child is born each year????

Um what?

I'd kill the guy in the suit, and then point out to the people who are obviously watching from the other side of the glass that since he's dead now, erasing his life would be enough to fill the need.

His life being erased, and the need met, those he caused to not exist anymore would then be brought back. I would then offer to take his place as the eraser, and by that keep the world in balance.

• Like 3

but.. in your scenario, you aren't just sacrificing yourself, you're sacrificing your own children (if they exist). Which would also i guess include any children they might have. so they aren't asking you to sacrifice just yourself, but a number of other people with lives and existence of their own. shouldn't they have a say? don't they have agency?

actually, my serious answer is that i'm a mad scientist, and i'm the one who built the superweapon that is causing the whole thing! ha ha ha! those fools said it couldn't be done, but i showed them! i showed them all!

• Like 2

When he told you this, you can clearly see he is telling the truth and he waits as you give him your answer.

Will you?

I'd do it. Even the life of my extended family and my former wife would be worth my own dying. One for the Many.

I'd probably ask quite a few questions though. Like how the hell they plan on wiping out history. And how such would help the Sun.

Question: Would it wipe out your immortal soul/spirit, as that would be a bigger sacrifice I think?

Question: Would it wipe out my Twin brother also and his family?

I'd do it. Even the life of my extended family and my former wife would be worth my own dying. One for the Many.

I'd probably ask quite a few questions though. Like how the hell they plan on wiping out history. And how such would help the Sun.

Question: Would it wipe out your immortal soul/spirit, as that would be a bigger sacrifice I think?

Question: Would it wipe out my Twin brother also and his family?

1. Every thing you do not die, just merely do not exsist on any realm or reality.

2. No, you would never split, meaning he will look like you but not you.

Edited by Brian Topp

If I wasn't a mum I would do it, but if they erase me then my children would disappear too.....I could never make the decision to erase my children from this existence, cause that is their own decision to make.

• Like 2

I would do it, but not for humanity - humanity is not worth such a sacrifice. I would do it for all the life that exists on the planet that is innocent.

I'm already in mourning for the three minutes of my life cruelly taken from me whilst reading this thread! s0273.gif

• Like 3

The only person you know of for sure, that would or would not effect history both past and future, is yourself.

As I said in my earlier post. I have done nothing worth noting. Plus, I have no kids nor will I have. So yes I would do it.

I would do it, but not for humanity - humanity is not worth such a sacrifice. I would do it for all the life that exists on the planet that is innocent.

so, humans then?

I'm kind of irritable now, so I'd call him a liar and walk away. Sorry, humanity, better luck next time! :whistle:

If I wasn't a mum I would do it, but if they erase me then my children would disappear too.....I could never make the decision to erase my children from this existence, cause that is their own decision to make.

Yeah this. When I read the title I thought yeah I would do that to save my kids. But seeing the point about your children being erased then I honestly dont know if I could do it. I don't know, I mean they would die anyway, but if "erased" is different to "death"... then if there is an afterlife your children and you, may never get there.

Interesting topic!

• Like 2

There is a paradox with this question. If you get erased, then how could you have volentered to be erased.

• Like 1

energy cant be destroyed, so by being erased you just become a form of energy different to the one you are now, so you still exist, but no in the human form.

This energy is what keeps things from killing us all.

Or, silly scifi writing

• Like 1

Yeah this. When I read the title I thought yeah I would do that to save my kids. But seeing the point about your children being erased then I honestly dont know if I could do it. I don't know, I mean they would die anyway, but if "erased" is different to "death"... then if there is an afterlife your children and you, may never get there.

Interesting topic!

Interesting topic!

I don't think your children would be erased. Their souls would still be there. So I think they would be brn to someone else. Of course they wouldn't be your children. Because, they would have different expearances, thus makijg them different people.

I don't think your children would be erased. Their souls would still be there. So I think they would be brn to someone else. Of course they wouldn't be your children. Because, they would have different expearances, thus makijg them different people.

The OP says children would be erased:

...It is not killing you but to no longer exsist, your history been removed and the things that happen will be altered, the children you made will be erased from history.

The OP says children would be erased:

I agree yourfr children would never exist. But, the souls of your children would and they would just havve a new mom and/or dad. They would not be your children. They would be someone else's kids.

I'd probably ask how and why I was chosen. You got to think that there are 100,000 (or whatever) who want to volinteer to move to Mars, and millions who commit suicide each year, and one of them might be a more willing choice.

Maybe they only take the decendants of King Arthur or something???

• Like 1

I agree yourfr children would never exist. But, the souls of your children would and they would just havve a new mom and/or dad. They would not be your children. They would be someone else's kids.

oh gosh I couldn't volunteer to die and loose them like that!!!!......unless is to save them, to save my children I would die without even thinking about it...otherwise they are my responsibility and I have to live as long as I can to protect them and help them.

• Like 2

People talking about their kids caused me to remember something...

There was a Thread a while back on what is the Purpose of Life. My post there was that having Children and raising them right is the purpose of life. The vast majority of posters believed various forms of Self Actualization was the purpose.

Would any of the Parents here 'Delete" their kids from history to achieve self actualization? Perfect happiness, Nirvana, total self peace..... The only cost being your children and all future children.

I wouldn't.

what is the most important thing in life?

• Like 3

Diechecker, 15 years ago, before I became a mum, I would have agreed with those people....but the day I held my first son in my arms I realized what true love was, cause that is mum's love, selfless, infinite and the deepest.

I still live my life and try to be the best person I can, but my most important goal is to make sure my kids are happy...cause if they are, I am.

I absolutely agree with you.

• Like 2