Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Word "Poltergeist"

Saru

Something I've been interested in finding out - does anyone know where the word "Poltergeist" actually came from ? What language is it from, and what does it translate as - Polter Geist ?

If anyone knows, please feel free to reply to this message and let me know :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Kismit

• sceptic

• AliceCoopersGirl

A search of the internet turned up this definition of the word Poltergeist.

Poltergeist activity is probably the most misunderstood form of paranormal activity, at least in conjunction with haunted houses. The word poltergeist actually means "noisy ghost" when translated from German and for many years, researchers believed that noisy ghosts were causing the phenomena reported in these cases. It was assumed that the things which occurred in a house that was "haunted" by a poltergeist were caused by an outside force... but today, most investigators don’t think so.

In a poltergeist case, there can be a variety of phenomena connected to it. The are reports of knocking and tapping sounds; noises with no visible cause; disturbance of stationary objects like household items and furniture; doors slamming; lights turning on and off; fires breaking out and much more. To early researchers, this type of phenomena represented tangible evidence of ghosts or even "demonic" activity.

Today, it is realized that, while the activity is certainly paranormal, it really has nothing to do with ghosts.

The current and widely accepted theory behind poltergeist phenomena is that the activity is usually caused by a person in the household. This person is usually an adolescent girl, and normally one who is troubled emotionally, who is unconsciously manipulating the items in the house by psychokinesis, the power to move things by energy generated in the brain. This kinetic energy remains unexplained, but even mainstream scientists are starting to admit that it does seem to exist.

It is unknown why this energy seems to appear in females around the age of puberty, but it has been documented to occur. It seems that when the activity begins to manifest, the girl is usually in the midst of some emotional or sexual turmoil. It is also possible for young boys, and even adults, to be able to manifest this unknowing ability. The vast majority of people have no idea they are causing the activity and are usually surprised to find that there is even a possibility that they could be making the strange things to happen.

Magikman

Thanks for that, i should have known that "Geist" is a word meaning Ghost, although I didn't know it was German.

I have never heard of the physcokenesis theory for explaining poltergeist activity either, and it's certainly interesting. Many hauntings and ghost cases are likely to be a result of the powers of the mind, rather than spirits from the dead. Perhaps actually seeing a visually manifested apparition of a ghost is also more of a physcic ability in some people. The trouble with ghosts and the paranormal is that it's almost impossible to say for certain one way or the other.

• 2 months later...

I have a seven years old nice, and a few weeks ago she started to listen men's voices. And these voices told her: "We'll take you with us".

In the house where she lives (with her parents) there are heared strange noises and the lights are turned on and off unexpectantly.

A friend said me that all that stuff is maybe a poltergeist case.

Would you help me please?, it is possible?

I´ll appreciate your answer.

Sincerly

Marcela

Anyone know anything about paranormal activity involving PC's? One of my relatives has now been pestered for nearly 3 years and the PC messages seem to be the latest in a long line of activity.

thanx

Lebo,

There isn't much information to work with, but here are a couple suggestions for you. How are the messages being displayed on the computer? Does it happen at startup? Is the relative using Microsoft's Word program? How old is the computer? The most important question is do they use virus protection software? If they download a lot of stuff off of the internet they could have easily gotten a virus. The latest Norton Anti-virus download contains fixes for over 5000 different virus's. Some are quite destructive, others are more bothersome than harmful, and they include random messages and writings that might confuse the unaware person using an infected computer. Virus's can even be attached to e-mail, and Microsoft had to fix a glitch in their Outlook program to stop a nasty virus that was infecting the e-mail function. Hackers are also capable of gaining access to your computer by several devious means, the back-orifice virus being the most popular. Finding a good firewall program to download and install on the computer helps to stop any unwanted attempts to invade your computer. Hopefully this info will help find the problem, unless your relative uses AOL, and the messages they are receiving is just someone trying to IM them.  

Magikman

• 3 weeks later...

thanx for the reply magicman. I'm afraid it's a bit more serious than hackers. The PC messages are printed out using 2 or 3 words...we have been informed of a name"jeb" and that there are 3 beings in the house, the communicator refers to them as "Gods"...yesterday (12/2/01) the house's living room and kitchen were gutted with fire, the fire started by the curtains being lit...the have a real flame fire but it produces no cinders and is situated in the middle of the room. No children were in the room at the time, although there is an adolescent child in the house. He is male and the boy claims to have been attacked and wounded...I know it sounds far fetched, but the mother has contacted a few university physics departments who have sent out members twice to view the property, they seem to think that the boy is "involved" and claim that the happenings will cease in due course...luckily the kids (who were being minded by a friend of the family) escaped the fire.

The boys father and mother are in a state of shock and the mother refuses to believe that her son could be reponsible. Could it be that he is unaware...? I have never read any experiences like this...

lebo

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest

I am wondering if anyone can help me explain some strange things going on in my house.  

My 13 year old Daughter swears there is a ghost in my house and now my husband and I are starting to believe her.  

After some research I am lead to believe it is more like a poltergeist than a ghost.  I don't know I have never really believed any of this stuff.  

Here is what happens.  We will be watching TV and it will black out then come back on a few minutes later.  No apparent reason.  Or change channels.  This could be the TV or station problems except it has never happened before.  Also the 13 year old says her stereo will change channels or go off and on by itself.  She also claims that things in her room move back and forth like blowing in the wind.  Another strange occurence that happens is the clock on our computer keeps loosing time.  We ignored this thinking it was a battery problem and then all of a sudden it now either gains time or loses time.  The only time I really ever use this clock is to tell my daughter when it is time to catch the school bus so this seems to be centered around her too.  I usually check my e-mail in the morning while she eats breakfast is why I use this clock.  

None of this scares my Dauhgter and she jokes it is a friendly ghost.  The only thing that seemed to scare her is once she said she was reading a book while walking into her room not paying attention and she ran into something or felt blocked but there was nothing there.  She claims she doesn't think this is a ghost but an invisible person.  

The only other backround I can give you is that I also have a 20 year old daughter and she about a month ago got a little mixed up in some Santaria.  She went to one of them for some advice and then got real scared.  She came to me crying one night and told me there was a box of dirt under her bed put there because she was told to put it there.  She was terrified and asked me to take it out of the house.  I did and put a Bible where the box was.

I don't know I am not the hocus pocus type but this all seems very strange to me.  Please, any advice.  

Hello,

The phenomena you describe certainly suggests the presence of a poltergeist in your house. Especially with the reference to an Invisible Physical entity. The best course of action, is to find out a bit about your house's past. See if you can find out how old your house is, and who lived there before you did. A lot of ghost activity occurs in a location where someone has died, hence the intensity of such activity in graveyards, crypts and such.

If any of the previous house occupants died in the house, it may explain why you have a ghost presence. This is not always the case however, but it is definately worth investigating.

Guest Guest

Wow thanks for the reply so quickly.  I checked back not thinking anyone would answer so quickly.  But you did!!!

I was hoping someone would come on here and tell me that I was nuts.  That everything I said was just my and my families imagination.  I know it isn't though.

The house I live in is rented.  Here are some facts about it that might be a little interesting.  I am the second family to live here, the people I rent from were the first to live here.  I don't think anyone died in their family but I am not positive I will ask them the next time I see them.  The house was only built in 1994 after Hurrican Andrew.  I live in Miami, Florida.

There is one thing that is strange about the area where I live.  All the homes are built on land that used to be the Everglades.  I am five minutes from the now Everglades.  

When I first moved to Miami in 96 I worked for a couple who had a business that is in the same area.  From the minute they opened the business they had bad luck.  People in their family dying and being diagnosed with all kinds of illnesses.  I used to joke with them that probably have built on an old Indian burial ground.  There is an Indian Reservation real close.  

Now I am beginging to wonder if the whole area isn't under some weird curse or something.  I know I am sounding real weird but this has me all so amazed.  

Should I be concerned for my 13 year old because from what I am researching these poltergeist seem to surround teenage girls.  Some even say the teenage girls are actually doing these things.  I don't know what to think and if I should do anything or just let it run its course.  Like I said my Daughter isn't really scared.  

One more thing I just thought of and this is really going to sound strange.  In my 20 year olds bedromm yesterday when I left her bedroom something behind her door fell and broke a mirror that was on a dresser.  My husband teased me that now I was cursed for 7 years.  Now that I think about it it is kind of strange.  

I don't know any help would be beneficial.  

Thanks Again

It does sound as though it's more of a widespread thing than just in your house. Perhaps the area is indeed situated over some sort of burial ground, or has been magically cursed in some way. I'm no expert on curses and such, but things do seem to point to that conclusion, although It's very difficult to say for sure. It's always hard to try and explain hauntings and paranormal activity. Sometimes they can just appear and disappear again without a trace with little explanation. Other times there is an obvious reason for a haunting, such as in a graveyard.

With any luck an answer will present itself to you in time. Look out for any other unusual aspects of your areas past that may at least partially explain the unusual occurances and ghostly activity. As the popular saying goes - the truth is out there.

;)

• 3 months later...

Lebo,

I think that's the latest phenomena that's happening though we are in the technology age.I heard this kind of similar cases.My buddy's PC too was being touch by the invisible.We were online throught the night and my friend was doin his assignment.He was so engrossed in it that he managed to complete it by 4a.m...He went to sleep later that night...In the morning,his mom complained about the power supply being cut off the whole night...He was shocked and went pale..he checked his files and guess what...his assignment was even typed out......well...if you have an explaination about this......?

(i was spending the night with him that day)

Sceptic,

Your story has a few gaps that need to be filled in. Were you physically with your friend when he was on the computer the whole time? Was there other lights on in the room he/you were in, or was all this work on the computer being done in the dark? What were you doing all this time? Does he have a battery backup hooked up to the computer? What time of night did his mother go to bed, and if the power did go out, what made her think it was out for the 'entire' night? Was there an analog clock that was stopped at a specific time? Its a little easier to form an opinion with more specific details.

MAGIKMAN

* - Welcome to the forum.  :D

Magikman,

Actually,I was there with him that night...he started his assignment around 23:00 and completed around 4a.m....I was sleeping but still aware of my surroundings like the air-cond running lights..etc..but it was kind of weird that night and I just didn't know what was it...it just turned out that the neighbourhood did not had any power suppl that night and he does not have a backup generator....well,if there's an explaination because I'm no expert in this and I'm kind of sceptical about this... ??? We/I couldn't possibly dreamt the whole situation right?

thaanks for the welcome

:-*

• 11 months later...
Guest Guest

Marcela,

The lights turning on & off by themselves and strange, unexplained noises are a good indication of poltergeist phenomena, or just bad wiring and the foundation settling. You mentioned your niece lives in a house with her parents, is it an older home (which may explain the bad wiring) or is it of a newer design? Is the little girl an only child? The reason this may be important is that any child at a younger age obviously desire's attention & companionship. Without any siblings to interact with and little attention from busy parents, the tendency may be for the little girl to invent an "invisible friend". Children are highly imaginative, and these invisible playmates are their way of coping with loneliness. The voices she claims to hear could just be her way of asking for attention. Of course I am not a trained psychiatrist, this is only my opinion, but I have read several articles dealing with similar occurrences.

Another way to try to find some answers would be to try to research the history of the house they live in. If it is quite old, there may be a more paranormal reason for what is happening. I hope this helps answer your question.

Magikman

• 1 year later...

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard it said that if you have been the person that the poltergeist activity has centered around then you are more in tune with the paranormal?The reason I ask is because I was the center of this activity when I was 6 months old(according to my gran,mum & a friend of the family.)The friend of the family & my gran I would trust but I can not ask them anymore details as they are no longer with us.Just curious as I don't think I really believe in it.Cheers Freddy thumbsup.gif xx

If you look back to the second post in this thread...

Poltergeist activity is probably the most misunderstood form of paranormal activity, at least in conjunction with haunted houses. The word poltergeist actually means "noisy ghost" when translated from German and for many years, researchers believed that noisy ghosts were causing the phenomena reported in these cases. It was assumed that the things which occurred in a house that was "haunted" by a poltergeist were caused by an outside force... but today, most investigators don’t think so.

In a poltergeist case, there can be a variety of phenomena connected to it. The are reports of knocking and tapping sounds; noises with no visible cause; disturbance of stationary objects like household items and furniture; doors slamming; lights turning on and off; fires breaking out and much more. To early researchers, this type of phenomena represented tangible evidence of ghosts or even "demonic" activity.

Today, it is realized that, while the activity is certainly paranormal, it really has nothing to do with ghosts.

The current and widely accepted theory behind poltergeist phenomena is that the activity is usually caused by a person in the household. This person is usually an adolescent girl, and normally one who is troubled emotionally, who is unconsciously manipulating the items in the house by psychokinesis, the power to move things by energy generated in the brain. This kinetic energy remains unexplained, but even mainstream scientists are starting to admit that it does seem to exist.

It is unknown why this energy seems to appear in females around the age of puberty, but it has been documented to occur. It seems that when the activity begins to manifest, the girl is usually in the midst of some emotional or sexual turmoil. It is also possible for young boys, and even adults, to be able to manifest this unknowing ability. The vast majority of people have no idea they are causing the activity and are usually surprised to find that there is even a possibility that they could be making the strange things to happen.

Perhaps that might explain a little more of why one person seems to be the center of activity when poltergeists are involved tongue.gif Myself, believing in neither ghosts nor psychokinesis, can't really offer anything new to answer you.

It is true that occasionally people who have been the center of Poltergiest activity , have gone on to carry out psychic work later . I'll try to get a reference on here for you shortly , however I am currently in the middle of a camping trip and have just ducked home for a shower .

Poltergiest activity does appear to be aided by the presence of hormones and baby girls as I belive you where Freddy are prone to what we Mums call a baby period . A hormonal burst which produces a very slight mensturation and pimpiling . Hormone increases similar to teenage ones.

I can't answer your question fully but I hope to be able to provide more help when I have a little more time original.gif

That would be great Kismet,I am female(just love the film Freddy v Jason wub.gif )

Hope your camping trip goes well.We are freezing here sad.gif

Cheers Lisa thumbsup.gif xx

Lol Kellalor , that would be the Poultrygiest .... w00t.gif

Nina Kulligina was capable of producing apparent poltergiest activity unwittingly , and yet seemed to have other psychic abilities ...

Linker

I thought the old theory of poltergeist activity being centered around adolescent girls had been largely debunked?

Anyway, the problems with electrical devices and computers sound more like problems on the power supply to me. Neighbourhood reports of the same problems only strengthen that possibility.

One more thing, computer bios clocks are very poor at keeping time, mine loses a few minutes every week.

I thought the theory went that poltergiest activity is generally centerd around an andolesent of any sex . It's just that I am aware of Baby girls in particular having a hormonal surge in the first few months .And hormones appear to be the obvious difference between adolescence and post adoloesence and there for the most likely trigger for poltergiest activity . If baby boys have it , it certainly isn't obvious .

If the theory has been largly debunked I would love to hear about the debunking .. original.gif

Edited by Kismit